PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter 5 (spoilers? No? yes?)

fireinthedust
2007-07-14, 10:17 AM
So I just went to the movie last night. Sweet. really well done.

I stopped reading the series because fo that book, but the movie makes me want to go start up again (ie: crack open halfblood prince, see what comes out).

prongs43
2007-07-14, 10:28 AM
Hakf-Blood Prince is a good book. Don't expect a lot of action though if you do read it. It's a lot of backstory and flashbacks.

Starla
2007-07-14, 11:13 AM
We went to the movie on Thurs. We liked it okay. It was the barebone plot. Oddly enough my favorite character was Luna. Some people have criticized Rowling for filling in too much. We like the character development and side plots. Sure it adds pages to the book, but it adds depth to the story too.

True filler is in the classics, like Jane Eyre. Bronte would ramble about nothing until suddenly it got interesting again. I was literally fighting sleep reading that novel the entire time. My sister explained that writers in Bronte's day would send their story in pieces to the newspaper and they would get paid per a word. "No wonder" I thought "She probably sent it in with the rambling parts leading up the attention getter so she kept her audience with the tidbits of good stuff at the end."
Oliver Twist was that way for me too.

Tom_Violence
2007-07-14, 09:10 PM
By the end they all die/they are all a dream

You know it to be probably true!

Jack Squat
2007-07-14, 09:45 PM
there's already a thread on this... (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50362)

that being said, I'm seeing it tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-07-14, 10:11 PM
im jsut saying, that last part is about the best spell battle ever. They top out alot of WWll flicks. Though it kinda gave u the tingling feeling when.. that.. um.. "one guy" dies.

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-07-14, 10:18 PM
But Im still waiting for the Bartimaeus Movies to come out, and if you havent read those books then you need to go back the store and lock your self in until you finish all three :)

fireinthedust
2007-07-14, 11:51 PM
Thanks for the link (The Vorpal Tribble's stuff is always appreciated, be it movie criticisms or Homebrew); I totally didn't notice the thread, though: it doesn't say harry potter! who the heck is Larry Gardener?!

Anyhoo:

Jane Austin: I was recently in Wynchester Cathedral where she was buried. Lovely place, very classy, good thing she's in there (as the other historic stuff there was ruined during the reformation when folks thought it a good idea to trash people's graves, art, and burn books they've never read just because they were in monasteries... sorry, medievalist in me crying out for justice; no issues here regarding religious stuff, please note, or any theological whatevers; just the smashed windows :) )

The Book: Order of the Pheonix brought me back to some traumatic confrontations with teachers during my childhood, especially ones sickenly like whatshername, loads with power issues (as well as the mass-production units being passed off as institutions of learning, but that's off-topic). The book was too painful in that regard, sure, but also really... well, meandering. As well, there didn't seem to be the buildup for a major character's death as there would have been in the previous books. At the very least having it feel as if it were going somewhere would have been nice.
Also in the books Harry constantly learns something and doesn't tell adults; or the adults know stuff and won't tell Harry ("no, Dumbledore, don't tell him the hideous truth that we've learned that affects him, that horrifically important thing that we can't talk about that would destroy him, especially if he stumbled foolishly onto it as he might during the course of a regular day!!!!").
Once is fine, but every other page?

However, my thought for the movie was that it was a) well paced and got to the point; and b) that it was wizardry for grown-ups. The other movies were from the kids' point of view (like the earlier Episode 1 &2 that age with Anikin, until 3 is dark and moody, grown-up if you like). This one is more mature, and I don't feel like a child watching it. Especially the lightning battle in the end!!! so cool.

kpenguin
2007-07-14, 11:52 PM
But Im still waiting for the Bartimaeus Movies to come out, and if you havent read those books then you need to go back the store and lock your self in until you finish all three :)

Wait, there's going to be a Bartimaeus movie? How could I not heard about this?! That's wonderful!

Nightmarenny
2007-07-15, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the link (The Vorpal Tribble's stuff is always appreciated, be it movie criticisms or Homebrew); I totally didn't notice the thread, though: it doesn't say harry potter! who the heck is Larry Gardener?!

Anyhoo:

Jane Austin: I was recently in Wynchester Cathedral where she was buried. Lovely place, very classy, good thing she's in there (as the other historic stuff there was ruined during the reformation when folks thought it a good idea to trash people's graves, art, and burn books they've never read just because they were in monasteries... sorry, medievalist in me crying out for justice; no issues here regarding religious stuff, please note, or any theological whatevers; just the smashed windows :) )

The Book: Order of the Pheonix brought me back to some traumatic confrontations with teachers during my childhood, especially ones sickenly like whatshername, loads with power issues (as well as the mass-production units being passed off as institutions of learning, but that's off-topic). The book was too painful in that regard, sure, but also really... well, meandering. As well, there didn't seem to be the buildup for a major character's death as there would have been in the previous books. At the very least having it feel as if it were going somewhere would have been nice.
Also in the books Harry constantly learns something and doesn't tell adults; or the adults know stuff and won't tell Harry ("no, Dumbledore, don't tell him the hideous truth that we've learned that affects him, that horrifically important thing that we can't talk about that would destroy him, especially if he stumbled foolishly onto it as he might during the course of a regular day!!!!").
Once is fine, but every other page?

However, my thought for the movie was that it was a) well paced and got to the point; and b) that it was wizardry for grown-ups. The other movies were from the kids' point of view (like the earlier Episode 1 &2 that age with Anikin, until 3 is dark and moody, grown-up if you like). This one is more mature, and I don't feel like a child watching it. Especially the lightning battle in the end!!! so cool.

Thing is the last couple chapter are all about explaining why they don't tell him(The reason why he doesn't tell the adults being implied as distrust breeding distrust) basically dumbldore didn't want to burden Harry so early. Which is why he kept quite all those years when he admits he should have told him at the end of year 1.

"I cared about you to much, I cared for your happiness than your knowing the truth, more for your peace of mind than my plan, more for your life than the lives that might be lost if the plan failed in other words, I acted exactly as Voldemort expects we fools who love to act.

Dark Demon Lord
2007-07-16, 04:50 AM
I think the film was rushed with the scenes jumping from one another a lot. Though the last few fight scenes were the best Harry Potter has put together yet. Voldemort was in character and so were most of the other characters.

skeeter_dan
2007-07-16, 04:38 PM
I enjoyed the movie but the pacing was horrible. It felt both rushed and painfully slow. It was also strangely quiet. There was a lot of silence; so much so, in fact, that it became awkward at times.

At the same time, the movie felt more cohesive than any of the previous movies. The story held together in the movie rather than just being a bunch of scenes from the book thrown on the screen.

PlatinumJester
2007-07-17, 06:30 AM
It was well made and it was much much better than number 4. However I still think Daniel Radcliff has the acting talent of a plank or wood. Also there were a few too many friendship speeches in it. I would give it about 7/10.

Starla
2007-07-17, 10:55 AM
The problem we have discovered when talking to people about the movie is if you have heard Jim Dale read it, he does a better job on every character than the actors trying to look like them ever could. Listening to Jim Dale, makes you feel like you are watching a movie in your head anyway. So it felt way too condensed to me and my husband even though we expected a lot of it to be cut. We were expecting them to do better with the seens they did put in. WE WANT THE SWAMP! the fireworks were supposed to last more than a minute. Umbridge was not competent in the book. The statues in the ministry were supposed to come to life to protect Harry. Voldemort was supposed to use Harry's voice to beg Dumbledore to kill him. Those were some of our major disappointments. Otherwise the movie was okay for what they chose to put in.

The Umbridge they chose made a good "ahem", but...well, we won't be buying the movie.

Alarra
2007-07-18, 03:24 PM
Jim Dale does an amazing job, yes.

However, I loved the movie. I thought it was really really well done. And because I hadn't read the book in awhile, I wasn't as hung up on changes as I usually am.

And Luna.....aww....I love Luna. She made that movie for me.
Anyone else notice how often she talked about pudding? :smallwink:

zeratul
2007-07-18, 03:47 PM
I just saw it, well Harry kinda annoyed me, to angsty Ie "I'm just so mad all the time!"

However Snape was awesome, as was Serious. Luna Lovegood, was extremely good, as well as the mst attractive witch in the movie.:smalltongue:

PlatinumJester
2007-07-18, 03:58 PM
Luna Lovegood, was extremely good, as well as the mst attractive witch in the movie.:smalltongue:

Amen ten letter limit

Nightmarenny
2007-07-18, 03:59 PM
I just saw it, well Harry kinda annoyed me, to angsty Ie "I'm just so mad all the time!"

However Snape was awesome, as was Serious. Luna Lovegood, was extremely good, as well as the mst attractive witch in the movie.:smalltongue:
Cause you know he was just cut off from everyone in the whole world that doesn't look at him with distain for several months and upon getting in touch with them informed that they had been sitting in the orders headquarters and refusing to tell him anything, is imformed that the man that wants him dead is searching for the one thing that will make him MORE powerful and having every adult the the whole place refuse to tell him anything about it cause he's still a child(at 15) nevermind that he already knows this thing somehow relates to him, has one of the two father figures in his life completly refuse to adress or conect with him, is sent to a place that he used to feel like home to find that most people believe him to be a lier and attention grabber. Feals alone because everyone is hiding something from him, is recieving dreams that show a connection with Voldemort and informed that he might have his mind taken over by him at any moment. He then is forced to take leasons to stop that which are preformed by a man who hates him more than anyone alive , and finds out that his father has done some less than admiral acts in the past. Has his hand bleed dry by an evil bitch who makes him out to be insane. than accidently cause's his godfathers death through falling for a trap.

Yeah being ever so mad though some of the movie was totally unjustified, faced with those activities you surely would have wore a smile the whole time:smallconfused: :smallsigh:

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-07-22, 12:10 PM
I totally didn't notice the thread, though: it doesn't say harry potter! who the heck is Larry Gardener?!
You need to take some ranks in Knowledge (OOTS Protagonists).

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0253.html

zeratul
2007-07-23, 12:43 AM
Cause you know he was just cut off from everyone in the whole world that doesn't look at him with distain for several months and upon getting in touch with them informed that they had been sitting in the orders headquarters and refusing to tell him anything, is imformed that the man that wants him dead is searching for the one thing that will make him MORE powerful and having every adult the the whole place refuse to tell him anything about it cause he's still a child(at 15) nevermind that he already knows this thing somehow relates to him, has one of the two father figures in his life completly refuse to adress or conect with him, is sent to a place that he used to feel like home to find that most people believe him to be a lier and attention grabber. Feals alone because everyone is hiding something from him, is recieving dreams that show a connection with Voldemort and informed that he might have his mind taken over by him at any moment. He then is forced to take leasons to stop that which are preformed by a man who hates him more than anyone alive , and finds out that his father has done some less than admiral acts in the past. Has his hand bleed dry by an evil bitch who makes him out to be insane. than accidently cause's his godfathers death through falling for a trap.

Yeah being ever so mad though some of the movie was totally unjustified, faced with those activities you surely would have wore a smile the whole time:smallconfused: :smallsigh:

I'm not saying it was unrealistic. But his role, was annoying/ badly written. IMO

Mc. Lovin'
2007-07-23, 09:48 AM
Well I found it really bad, although the final battle between Dumbledore and Voldemort was really amazing they really butchered the battle in the ministery, which I thought was the bast part.

Archonic Energy
2007-07-29, 04:15 AM
And Luna.....aww....I love Luna. She made that movie for me.
Anyone else notice how often she talked about pudding? :smallwink:

i'm glad you noticed this.

i was just about to comment on how Loony Luna reminded me of a certian forumite...

Ettlesby
2007-07-29, 04:28 AM
Wait, there's going to be a Bartimaeus movie? How could I not heard about this?! That's wonderful!

Yup! The Bartimaeus Trilogy is awesome, isn't it?

I've just got one thing to say about the movie, though...

What's with the smoke? You know, where everyone gets to transform into smoke that colors itself black or white depending on whether or not they're good or evil...

AngelicOne001
2007-07-29, 10:16 PM
I saw the movies a while back and thought it was pretty good. I got a very distinct impression that the producers had a lot of fun in it due to the humor I noticed in it at many points. I was a bit disappointed at some of the things they left out, but hey they tried to put in what they thought mattered, and they did.
My favorite scene in the movie was...The Fight Scene (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPffyj6tdQ4) and then the possession scene (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZt6E9QBLKM&NR=1) I've got to say those were two of my favorite scenes. It perturbs me though that they change the look of the spells in every movie. Why can't they stick to one spell effect's color for each spell cast so people can tell what spell they're casting besides from the shouting it out hm? :smallsigh:

ForzaFiori
2007-07-30, 12:34 AM
Luna Lovegood, was extremely good, as well as the mst attractive witch in the movie.:smalltongue:

Idk, Hermione is pretty hot.
tough call.

Felixaar
2007-07-31, 04:50 AM
Just saw it this afternoon - easily the best movie of the lot, and restored my faith that the harry potter movies could actually be good - three and four tore apart and exrected upon this hope >.> - I heart Luna, hee hee. Only problem was Sirius death scene... not good at all

Also, Luna's the most attractive. Followed by Tonks.