View Full Version : Difference between Batman and God

Lokiron
2016-11-22, 06:28 AM
Hey all,

Can someone explain the philosophical and practical differences between these two wizards?

I've glossed over the guides several times and, to me, they look very similar in terms of recommended feats, spells, PrCs. The God guide proposes a slightly more anonymous attitude.. Aside from that, I'm not getting it.

Eldariel
2016-11-22, 06:56 AM
Well, Treantmonk says in his opening paragraph:
"If you didn't get it from the title - Logicninja's thread is the inspiration for this one. I agree with Logicninja on a lot of things and disagree on a lot of other things. The intention of this thread is for players to get different perspectives and opinions on the class from two different optimizers who play a lot of wizards. Wizards are great in that they give a lot of choice. My choices aren't always right for everyone - but they will likely be right for some."

The two fit a broadly similar role in the party with Treantmonk advocating a more hands-off approach where you focus on buffing others and acting through proxies like summoning, while LogicNinja mostly advocates preparing whatever is best for any given situation. The biggest differences are just in spell evaluations where Treantmonk values single-target SoDs much lower and casual Summons much higher. Both advocate a similar role in the party.

Falcon X
2016-11-22, 10:28 AM
They are pretty similar in that they both prefer to have the right tool for the job at the right time. However, I could see there being a few subtle differences:

Batman:
- Is focused on having the right tool for any job
- Is more hands on, taking care of business himself

God:
- Is hands off, manipulating the world itself to help his followers

Basically, Batman is more independent, while god is focused solely on party support.

Lord Haart
2016-11-22, 11:49 AM
Batman saves you with his tools.

God gives you tools to save yourself.

Afgncaap5
2016-11-22, 12:25 PM
Batman saves you with his tools.

God gives you tools to save yourself.

There's an ontological joke in the making here but I can't quite get it to work.

remetagross
2016-11-22, 12:30 PM
Topic subject: Difference between Batman and God.

OP:"Hey all,

Can someone explain the philosophical and practical differences between these two wizards?"

This is way too crazy. Can't wait to show it to a non-DnD player and watch his face :D Can I sig this, Lokiron?

Lokiron
2016-11-22, 12:48 PM
Topic subject: Difference between Batman and God.

OP:"Hey all,

Can someone explain the philosophical and practical differences between these two wizards?"

This is way too crazy. Can't wait to show it to a non-DnD player and watch his face :D Can I sig this, Lokiron?

Go ahead 😊

Mordaedil
2016-11-23, 03:14 AM
I find both are guides that do pretty much the same thing, but the difference lies mostly in the level of snark and attitudes toward your other players.

The God guide is written as if you were the most important player at the table and really downplays the importance of having allies at the table even be there, which is a really terrible attitude to have in a D&D game, especially since they are there to take care of you so you don't get mauled by a bear (like what happened to me in my first encounter as a wizard)

The Batman guide is written with the intent of making you the best support for your party and thus respects his allies more and aims to word itself to present you as a part of a team, but a very vital cog in a machinery that runs the best when all the wheels are turning properly. I find this attitude to be the best because it instantly inspires comeraderie in the other players as well.

That is my take on it, but both guides offer some really solid advice on what spells to take for any wizard.

The Batman guide also seems to dislike blasters because they essentially steal the jobs of the other classes. A worthwhile thought that, since 4th edition made wizards only blasters.

Kurald Galain
2016-11-23, 03:24 AM
Can someone explain the philosophical and practical differences between these two wizards?

The Batman guide suggests that your role is to support your team, and your teammates have their own role. The name is based on how Batman is very much a team player in e.g. justice league or batman-and-robin stories.

The God guide suggests that you do everything by yourself while mocking your teammates for how irrelevant they are. As Mordaedil points out, this is really not a pleasant attitude for any gamer.

...and for some reason, memetically people remember this precisely backwards, even though the difference in tone of the guides is clear. Case in point,

Basically, Batman is more independent, while god is focused solely on party support.

caimbuel
2016-11-23, 03:49 AM
Maybe its just me, maybe it just that i get being a jerk wont get me invited back at tables.

The god wizard Knows he is running the show, but all the scenes are done by others. 70% of what I cast was to buff my team mates or debuff the enemy. Rarely did I solo anything or even try to.

The lone Batman I played tended to steal the show as he always had the way to get it done. Maybe I did not roleplay that wizard right, maybe it was my mindset in how I looked at it.

YMMV

Lokiron
2016-11-23, 05:39 AM
The Batman guide suggests that your role is to support your team, and your teammates have their own role. The name is based on how Batman is very much a team player in e.g. justice league or batman-and-robin stories.

The God guide suggests that you do everything by yourself while mocking your teammates for how irrelevant they are. As Mordaedil points out, this is really not a pleasant attitude for any gamer.

...and for some reason, memetically people remember this precisely backwards, even though the difference in tone of the guides is clear. Case in point,

The God guide is weird that way. On one hand it speaks of The Big Stupid Fighter, The Corpse and how the wizard can be superior in any role, but then tells you to let the idiots handle those roles and instead claim the only worthy role ie. primary arcanist.

I find the arrogance laid on so thick, I always read as sort of tongue in cheek. Not as an attitude to actually bring to the table. The way I see it, the God wizard wins all the encounters, without having the spotlight.

ryu
2016-11-23, 05:54 AM
The God guide is weird that way. On one hand it speaks of The Big Stupid Fighter, The Corpse and how the wizard can be superior in any role, but then tells you to let the idiots handle those roles and instead claim the only worthy role ie. primary arcanist.

I find the arrogance laid on so thick, I always read as sort of tongue in cheek. Not as an attitude to actually bring to the table. The way I see it, the God wizard wins all the encounters, without having the spotlight.

Alternatively the disdain is very real but kept quiet. Someone who wanted to play a game of tier ones, but instead gets to spend a campaign babysitting those they know are weaker.

Nifft
2016-11-23, 12:39 PM

Indeed.

And in practice, winning an encounter without hogging the spotlight is a VERY team-oriented nice-guy type of role.

IMHO the GOD guide is laying it on thick to make you feel like an awesome ******* getting away with murder, while actually behaving like a model citizen.

Stealth Marmot
2016-11-23, 12:41 PM
The difference is Batman doesn't kill people.