PDA

View Full Version : Going to join some friends for playing D&D 5e over the interwebs and here is my build

Spacehamster
2016-11-22, 10:07 AM
Variant human +1 STR, +1 CHA, Sage background, persuasion as skill and polearm master as feat.

Fighter 1 with 15(16)/8/14/8/10/15(16) as his starting stats.
Fights with a quarterstaff and a shield using chainmail armor.
Starting skills from class: athletics and perception. Dueling style as fighting style.

Up to level 9 I will take 8 levels favored soul sorcerer probably life focus for healing skills using first ASI to up my STR and the 2nd on my CHA, After this two levels warlock for Devils sight and CHA to eldritch blast, then 1 fighter for action surge and the remaining levels in Favored soul maxing out STR and CHA.

Idea with it all is a high AC caster which can also hold his own in close combat and shoot eldritch lasers all over the place with quicken spell and action surge.

Pros: heavy armor + shield, 2 attacks from level 1 due to polearm master, better casting than any half or 1/3rd caster, both good ranged and melee options to switch things up.

Cons: 1 less ASI, no level 9 spell, low initiative(which can be decent anyways since it lets you asess the situation after others have done their thing) not the best hp( could maybe be fixed by skipping 20 STR for Though feat or a 16 CON score instead)

So how do you think this character will work out? not perfect or optimized but don't see any glaring errors myself.

Sirdar
2016-11-22, 10:32 AM
In combat: Your build is obviously very strong. I would probably take Action Surge before going Warlock (or just skip Warlock and take some BM dice). I understand that you have planned for Agonizing EB to come online at level 11 (when you get 3 beams), but I think Action Surge is more fun than EB so I would try to get that earlier. Although I love the Warlock, I would actually skip it entirely if going Favored Soul Sorcerer. I just wouldn't sell my favored soul... :smallsmile:

Out of combat: Which non-combat role are you going for?

Spacehamster
2016-11-22, 10:37 AM
In combat: Your build is obviously very strong. I would probably take Action Surge before going Warlock (or just skip Warlock and take some BM dice). I understand that you have planned for Agonizing EB to come online at level 11 (when you get 3 beams), but I think Action Surge is more fun than EB so I would try to get that earlier. Although I love the Warlock, I would actually skip it entirely if going Favored Soul Sorcerer. I just wouldn't sell my favored soul... :smallsmile:

Probably face, might be better to take guild artisian for better skills so I can take deception as my variant human skill, would be high CHA pc with 3 social skills, plus take couple of non combat utility spells for additional usefulness.

Pichu
2016-11-22, 11:09 AM

Bat me to it, as my internet crashed :( Anyways, the build is great. What level is the campaign going to? 20? 15? It depends on what you should do based on campaign length. Another question: what are the other classes the other people are playing?

Spacehamster
2016-11-22, 11:14 AM
Bat me to it, as my internet crashed :( Anyways, the build is great. What level is the campaign going to? 20? 15? It depends on what you should do based on campaign length. Another question: what are the other classes the other people are playing?

Since its only in the talks about playing and not a date set I think I am the only one that has pre made a point buy toon yet, thats why
I made it a little of everything, healing, social skills, melee, long range blasting so that he can fit in any party. :) Hopefully
will do several campaigns so the toons should hopefully get late game action too. :)

Greeniron
2016-11-22, 11:15 AM
Variant human +1 STR, +1 CHA, Sage background, persuasion as skill and polearm master as feat.

Fighter 1 with 15(16)/8/14/8/10/15(16) as his starting stats.
Fights with a quarterstaff and a shield using chainmail armor.
Starting skills from class: athletics and perception. Dueling style as fighting style.

Up to level 9 I will take 8 levels favored soul sorcerer probably life focus for healing skills using first ASI to up my STR and the 2nd on my CHA, After this two levels warlock for Devils sight and CHA to eldritch blast, then 1 fighter for action surge and the remaining levels in Favored soul maxing out STR and CHA.

Idea with it all is a high AC caster which can also hold his own in close combat and shoot eldritch lasers all over the place with quicken spell and action surge.

Pros: heavy armor + shield, 2 attacks from level 1 due to polearm master, better casting than any half or 1/3rd caster, both good ranged and melee options to switch things up.

Cons: 1 less ASI, no level 9 spell, low initiative(which can be decent anyways since it lets you asess the situation after others have done their thing) not the best hp( could maybe be fixed by skipping 20 STR for Though feat or a 16 CON score instead)

So how do you think this character will work out? not perfect or optimized but don't see any glaring errors myself.

I am not sure why you plan on using resources to become good at both range and melee, does your party need you to fill both roles? If they do you may want to consider fighter first, you gain the ability to wear heavy armor and gain a bit more life. You may also want to add in warcaster so you can booming blade when an enemy reaches melee range. You will also get lvl 9 spells at Sorcerer 17.

Also what spell(s) will you be using your concentration on?

Mortis_Elrod
2016-11-22, 11:15 AM
I would just take fighter to 2 then grab the warlock levels before going pure sorcerer. This puts your asi behind but your build will be 'online' a faster and you wont be dealing with your character having a lot of indecision about how your character view itself. Switching classes is kinda like switching majors, as far as roleplay goes anyway. But then again people switch majors all the time.

Spacehamster
2016-11-22, 11:22 AM
I am not sure why you plan on using resources to become good at both range and melee, does your party need you to fill both roles? If they do you may want to consider fighter first, you gain the ability to wear heavy armor and gain a bit more life. You may also want to add in warcaster so you can booming blade when an enemy reaches melee range. You will also get lvl 9 spells at Sorcerer 17.

Also what spell(s) will you be using your concentration on?

Cause as I said I want him to be able to do both cause that is who the character is, as I said good character not optimized. :) And finds the idea of a blaster that just shrugs and beats the living crap out of you when you get in range instead of poop his robes as a normal wizard would. :3

And already said I start with 1 level in fighter. :)

Spacehamster
2016-11-22, 11:23 AM
I would just take fighter to 2 then grab the warlock levels before going pure sorcerer. This puts your asi behind but your build will be 'online' a faster and you wont be dealing with your character having a lot of indecision about how your character view itself. Switching classes is kinda like switching majors, as far as roleplay goes anyway. But then again people switch majors all the time.

Really donīt want 16 in both my attack stats until level 8 so this is sadly out the window. :)