PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for light-hearted play-by-chat fantasy adventure game.

Fri
2016-11-22, 10:40 AM
Alright, usually I just use Fate Core for things like this, but I'm already running a PBC Fate game and I just want to mix up you know?

Any suggestion what system would be fun for a light-hearted (not necessarily parody, just mostly heartwarming and comforting) fantasy adventure game for play-by-chat?

Important consideration are:

- Relatively rules-light and good for improv, but still have crunch and can do satisfying combat and dramatic scenes.(so Risus is definitely out).
-Not depending on grid/map too much. I mean, zones are fine, but calculating fireball radius or line of sight isn't.
- Have magic rules, but less "variety of damage" and more "variety of effects." (so say, choose between fireball that does 2d6 damage in a radius or magic missile that does single 3d6 damage, and more choose between fireball that can burn a barn, freezing breath that let you slow enemies and cross river without bridges, or telekinesis that let you punch orc from afar and does prank).

Usually I'll just use Fate Core for these kind of games, but as I said, I'm looking for alternatives. There's a game I've been waiting for a while (Love and Labyrinth) but it won't be out for a while, so I'm looking for something that can scratch the itch in the mean time. Any idea?

etrpgb
2016-11-22, 12:23 PM
Altars & Archetypes (http://livingfree.wikidot.com/altars-archetypes), it might be a bit *too much* simple. But once you setup some recurring difficulty levels it works fine.

Fri
2016-11-22, 01:23 PM
Looks interesting but honestly feels too arbitrary for me, yeah.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-11-22, 02:39 PM
Might I suggest my homebrew system, STaRS (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?361270-STaRS-the-Simple-TAbletop-Roleplaying-System-5-0&p=17752487)? The goal was Fate-level crunch/flexibility without being too narrativist or dependent on DM-abritration.

Fri
2016-11-22, 02:44 PM
Oh I remember StARS, but last time I tried to find it I can't find it. I'll check it, thanks for reminding me.

Edit: Well, your link reminded me what happened last time I looked for it. It says it's not available anymore since it's going to publication, but I can't find the actual published version. Can you confirm about the status of the system?

Grod_The_Giant
2016-11-22, 02:52 PM
Oh I remember StARS, but last time I tried to find it I can't find it. I'll check it, thanks for reminding me.

Edit: Well, your link reminded me what happened last time I looked for it. It says it's not available anymore since it's going to publication, but I can't find the actual published version. Can you confirm about the status of the system?
Waiting on art, mostly. I don't want to have the full thing up because <fingers crossed> one day soon I'll self-publish, but I'm happy to PM you a copy if you'd like.

Fri
2016-11-22, 03:01 PM
That depends, are you fine with me spreading it to some random players? Since I can't exactly play it without the players not knowing the system, and most likely I'm going to recruit random players since I don't think my usual friends are interested.

If you'd rather not I understand, and totally get it. I'd still love to read it though, even if not actually play it in near future, if you'd allow me to at least spread it to my friends (my usual group that I don't think is interested in playing rightnow :smallbiggrin:).

Grod_The_Giant
2016-11-22, 03:05 PM
That depends, are you fine with me spreading it to some random players? Since I can't exactly play it without the players not knowing the system, and most likely I'm going to recruit random players since I don't think my usual friends are interested.

If you'd rather not I understand, and totally get it. I'd still love to read it though, even if not actually play it in near future, if you'd allow me to at least spread it to my friends (my usual group that I don't think is interested in playing rightnow :smallbiggrin:).
I would love it if you spread it around-- I need an audience when I finally launch, after all :smallamused: (I'm considering putting it back up, to tell the truth. I'm getting kind of impatient; I really just want a nicer cover and character sheet, I think). I'll send you a dropbox link when I get to a real computer.

Koo Rehtorb
2016-11-22, 04:06 PM
Dungeon World.

Fri
2016-11-22, 11:03 PM
That's a good idea. I'll also consider Dungeon world.

Also, does Savage World work for these kind of things?

Knaight
2016-11-22, 11:42 PM
That's a good idea. I'll also consider Dungeon world.

Also, does Savage World work for these kind of things?

Savage Worlds almost works. It can do light hearted fantasy adventure game just fine, although it can be a bit lethal. The problem is that you don't want a grid, and Savage Worlds is wedded to the grid in a big way. If 2 out of 3 requirements works, go for it. On the other hand, if 2 out of 3 requirements works then I'd recommend Chronica Feudalis, which has everything but the magic.

DonEsteban
2016-11-23, 05:10 PM
Both are probably not rules-light enough for you, but I'll suggest them anyway: 13th Age or Star Wars - Force and Destiny

Fri
2016-11-24, 12:36 AM
Already playing in a star wars ffg campaign right now, so I'll have to pass on that one since the point is to varies a bit :smallcool: