PDA

View Full Version : Manufacturers of miniatures?

MarkVIIIMarc
2016-11-22, 11:02 PM
Hello,

Slowly I have been gathering up some mini's for our party. We did GREAT with printed characters "folded" into an X or attached to foam. We have been slowly moving towards real mini's though and trying to use the Axis & Allies figures less even for bad guys lol.

I had a custom mini-made on hero-forge, that was not really cheap but really kinda cool both from a software and a 3D printing point.

The pre-made plastic minis I have bought on ebay and in the local hobby shop are more durable though. How many manufacturer's are there and who are they? I'd like to put google to work seeing what all is out there especially for bulk purchases.

Thanks in advance.

DrDinocrusher
2016-11-22, 11:12 PM
I mean there are a LOT of miniature manufacturers out there so it depends on what you're looking for. In terms of cheap miniatures, your go-to stuff should largely be:

-Kickstarter games

-Reaper Bones

-Kings of War

-D&D Icons of The Realm pre-painted stuff

-D&D attack wing

-Bushido: The Game (for east asian stuff)

-Age of Sigmar (Excellent minis but VERY Expensive - heroic 28mm scale also means they'll be a bit larger than most D&D stuff)

-Malifaux (steampunk western horror - 32mm though so not very good for normal humanoids, best for monsters and small creatures whose large size turns into more of an aesthetic choice)

Finback
2016-11-22, 11:42 PM
Hello,

Slowly I have been gathering up some mini's for our party. We did GREAT with printed characters "folded" into an X or attached to foam. We have been slowly moving towards real mini's though and trying to use the Axis & Allies figures less even for bad guys lol.

I had a custom mini-made on hero-forge, that was not really cheap but really kinda cool both from a software and a 3D printing point.

The pre-made plastic minis I have bought on ebay and in the local hobby shop are more durable though. How many manufacturer's are there and who are they? I'd like to put google to work seeing what all is out there especially for bulk purchases.

Thanks in advance.

Reaper (reapermini.com) is fantastic. The Bones line are great for a quick, cheaper way to build up a staple of the old faithfuls - clerics, fighters, rogues, wizards, goblins, orcs, dragons, etc. Then, they also have the metallic figurines - pricier, but also a bit more durable. As time goes on, they often release a metallic as a Bones figure. The past few years, they have had multi-million dollar kickstarters. A basic set for $100 starts with about 50 figures - and usually ends up over a couple of hundred, as stretch goals are met. Drawback with Bones is they are sometimes warped in the package, being softer, but if you don't care, no issue - and they can also easily be modded with weapons packs, etc.