PDA

View Full Version : how would i do THIS

D&DPrinceTandem
2016-11-22, 11:18 PM
i want to start a competition based around a arena, were you are not graded by judges but by played out arena battles.

side note: is there already something like this, was there, if there was then what went wrong with it and how did it play out.
System:D&D 3/3.5
Player Count:whatever i get
Style of Play:Arena
Allowed Content: all 3/ 3.5, no Dragon
Character Creation:

Backstory: just why you are in the arena.
Experience: CR 15
Wealth: Starts with 10,000, gets more every round
Ability Scores: my Ability array: 18/16/16/14/13/12
Hitpoints/Health: Max unless otherwise stated in that session
Alignment: No limt

Other Notes: My first ones idea is the need to reach Valhalla, which
means no spells/ invocations/ essentia/ psion, wilder (psionic warrior and soulknife will be allowed, same with martial adepts)

bloodystone2
2016-11-23, 12:14 AM
I'm not entirely sure what exactly you're having trouble with, you never stated it. It seems like you've done well for character creation. I noticed a lack of enemies so I'll start there.

I had done an arena campaign where player's would go to fight different monsters and experiment with builds when they felt like, so I have some experience in it.

Before I begin, let me say this: You said no judges, but I feel like a missed opportunity. At least have an announcer for comedic affect.

When I had played, I always had a formula for the fights my players were in, separated into different events: bouts, tournaments, and reenactments.

Normal bouts involved a set amount of people against a similar challenge rating. Usually, I would have my players fight a large monster, 3 sets of normal teams, and finish with a boss of some kind that has at least 2 of the 4 play styles of the previous monsters.

For example, I had one of the announcers, a strange golem named "The Gentlemen Iron Scorpion" (Fan favorite of my players) be the first fight of the bouts. His main issue was him putting oil everywhere, and if the players had done any fire or electric damage to the oil OR they were standing in the oil when they had done the fire or electric damage, it would ignite. But, the Gentlemen Iron Scorpion couldn't attack it itself, he only had that move and his normal attack.

Arena's are always busy when people make them, they're quite popular. Let's just say no one had time to clean them up. So in the next few fights, the oil remained in the same squares as before. Hell, they were even added to by another one of the 5 on 5 fights. Then, the final enemy appeared. All my player's glared at me when I revealed with was a level 10 pyromaniac sorcerer (they were level 3 at the time). He wiped everyone on the field, except the only gnoll pc I've ever had.

Tournaments are the only way I could reintroduce teams. Every team would be resurrected if they made past the first round, any other resurrections were out of their own pockets. My players hated several teams. One because they had constantly mocked them and wouldn't go down easily. One where their tactics were cheap for a tournament (it was a team of 5 druids, they'd turn into an eagle and land on casters as a rhino or elephant), ect. ect. It's the only way I could come up with to make consistent reoccurring enemies.

Reenactments were always a fun one. The team's were given a goal that they had to do. It might be "Use boats to capture the enemy flag, sink the enemy boat, and then sink your boat, to then swim the rest of the way." (That was a fun one). It's simply a tale that has happened with the players or was just a lore piece they wouldn't understand if they hadn't reenacted it.

Hope this helps give ideas!

D&DPrinceTandem
2016-11-23, 12:48 AM
This is cool and I might use it in a campaign but....

I'm not entirely sure what exactly you're having trouble with, you never stated it. It seems like you've done well for character creation. I noticed a lack of enemies so I'll start there.

I had done an arena campaign where player's would go to fight different monsters and experiment with builds when they felt like, so I have some experience in it.

Before I begin, let me say this: You said no judges, but I feel like a missed opportunity. At least have an announcer for comedic affect.

When I had played, I always had a formula for the fights my players were in, separated into different events: bouts, tournaments, and reenactments.

Normal bouts involved a set amount of people against a similar challenge rating. Usually, I would have my players fight a large monster, 3 sets of normal teams, and finish with a boss of some kind that has at least 2 of the 4 play styles of the previous monsters.

For example, I had one of the announcers, a strange golem named "The Gentlemen Iron Scorpion" (Fan favorite of my players) be the first fight of the bouts. His main issue was him putting oil everywhere, and if the players had done any fire or electric damage to the oil OR they were standing in the oil when they had done the fire or electric damage, it would ignite. But, the Gentlemen Iron Scorpion couldn't attack it itself, he only had that move and his normal attack.

Arena's are always busy when people make them, they're quite popular. Let's just say no one had time to clean them up. So in the next few fights, the oil remained in the same squares as before. Hell, they were even added to by another one of the 5 on 5 fights. Then, the final enemy appeared. All my player's glared at me when I revealed with was a level 10 pyromaniac sorcerer (they were level 3 at the time). He wiped everyone on the field, except the only gnoll pc I've ever had.

Tournaments are the only way I could reintroduce teams. Every team would be resurrected if they made past the first round, any other resurrections were out of their own pockets. My players hated several teams. One because they had constantly mocked them and wouldn't go down easily. One where their tactics were cheap for a tournament (it was a team of 5 druids, they'd turn into an eagle and land on casters as a rhino or elephant), ect. ect. It's the only way I could come up with to make consistent reoccurring enemies.

Reenactments were always a fun one. The team's were given a goal that they had to do. It might be "Use boats to capture the enemy flag, sink the enemy boat, and then sink your boat, to then swim the rest of the way." (That was a fun one). It's simply a tale that has happened with the players or was just a lore piece they wouldn't understand if they hadn't reenacted it.

Hope this helps give ideas!
I think you misunderstood me, my fault.

I would like something more like Iron Chef (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?505762-Iron-Chef-Optimisation-Challenge-in-the-Playground-LXXXII&highlight=Iron+chef)or Villainous Comp (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?503974-Villainous-Competition-XVI-Burn-Baby-Burn). But without judges, and played out in an arena, with a requirement you need your character based upon.

Do you think its possible? would it work? has it worked

Demidos
2016-11-23, 12:52 AM
Try Test of Spite (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?124216-The-Test-of-Spite-3-51), on these forums. I believe that might be what you're looking for.

Inevitability
2016-11-23, 02:06 AM
Isn't this kind of out of place here? If you want to play actual combat, that should be in the play by post subforum.

D&DPrinceTandem
2016-11-23, 03:43 AM
thanks needed to know.