PDA

View Full Version : Random VoP rules question

sage20500
2016-11-23, 03:29 AM
Looking at building a gestalt character that starts at 1 and goes to 20. One side is Monk2/Mystic Fire Paladin 18, other side is High Warrior Wizard 5/War Mage (PRC) 5/War Wizard of Cormyr 5/not sure about the last 5 yet.

Anyway, question regarding my taking of VoP on this character for both flavor and the mechanics of not having to keep up with my share of the loot since the last 5 or 6 characters i've played have been extremely book keeping heavy from extra gear. As a Paladin of Athus, could I mechanically say i donate all of my money to a orphanage/temple/school of Athus and have my character own the deed to the land in order to make sure that all the orphans in the orphange/temple/school are being properly taken care of? Mechanically the character would not be making any money from the land, because the services he provides would be free to all those who are in need, but would the act of owning the land itself in order to have been able to build the complex violate VoP?

danzibr
2016-11-23, 06:13 AM
Looking at building a gestalt character that starts at 1 and goes to 20. One side is Monk2/Mystic Fire Paladin 18, other side is High Warrior Wizard 5/War Mage (PRC) 5/War Wizard of Cormyr 5/not sure about the last 5 yet.

Anyway, question regarding my taking of VoP on this character for both flavor and the mechanics of not having to keep up with my share of the loot since the last 5 or 6 characters i've played have been extremely book keeping heavy from extra gear. As a Paladin of Athus, could I mechanically say i donate all of my money to a orphanage/temple/school of Athus and have my character own the deed to the land in order to make sure that all the orphans in the orphange/temple/school are being properly taken care of? Mechanically the character would not be making any money from the land, because the services he provides would be free to all those who are in need, but would the act of owning the land itself in order to have been able to build the complex violate VoP?
That's a negative.

Even if it's for a good cause, it's pretty clear you can't own essentially anything of value.

Bullet06320
2016-11-23, 06:57 AM
your temple or monastery could hold the deed in trust, and you be its patron, i don't think titles and non paying jobs count

MisterKaws
2016-11-23, 06:58 AM
RAW? No.

RAI? I say as long as you don't use it for ANYTHING other than the orphanage, you get to keep it.

And I mean anything, so you can't even sleep in it, or use it as a hideout.

You could always try getting 9th-levels, cast Genesis once, and say "Screw land deeds."

Hecuba
2016-11-23, 10:22 AM

By the strictest reading: no, it won't work. But, as the exalted rules more or less require facilitative discretion (especially VoP), and this seems reasonable (as long as you are not looking to exploit it).

Consider that there are certain legal historical legal frameworks where someone might be the closest thing to an "owner" that land has but not be able to sell it or give it away. The property might, for example, be subject to some form of complex fee tail without a tenet in possession requirement. It would be quite reasonable to establish such a scenario as literally the best you can do, and if it helps the player tell the desired story the DM should facilitate such a setup (within reason).

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-11-23, 10:28 AM
This should be allowed by houserules, but RAW won't even let you open a door or stand on a floor or see a statue or other work of art or even read a signpost without breaking your vows. Yes, it's stupid. No, it probably wasn't supposed to work that way. But unfortunately, that's how it works.