PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed [PEACH] 3.5 "Formats

Mezmote
2016-11-23, 05:57 AM
Hey playground

One of my friends recently suggested a new way to build our characters for campaigns. It involved limiting the character options to a few core and splat books, and disallowing full casters entirely.

A little background. My group tends to want to play in a low-magic (or "magic is rare") setting, but it always escalates, as is the nature of 3.5, into a high magic/wuxia environment. Partly because the GM ends up just throwing highly magical monsters and loot into our adventures, and partly because after character generation, people tend to forget this agreed upon limitation.

So to enforce our "ideally prefered" playstyle, we'll try to use the following rules:

Characters can be made using content from: Player's Handbook, Player's Handbook 2, Complete Adventurer, Complete Scoundrel and Complete Warrior.
Any full caster are banned; ruling out beguilers, clerics, druids, sorcerers and wizards.
Every character gains an additional skill point at each level to shore up lacks in abilities.
Feats from other sources can be implemented on a case-by-case basis if we find we lack something crucial.
Bards are the most potent casters in this environment. Thus, only Bards can create magical items using Create Wondrous Item. (does this limit how powerful an item can be made? Im unsure of this).

We ended up calling it "The Martial Format" as it more heavily relies on martial and skill based solutions than magic.

I'd like to know what you guys and girls think about this departure from the traditional high magic game/campaigns usually connected to 3.5. Any critique and advice is highly appreciated. Especially if you find a loophole in our reasoning and limits.

John Longarrow
2016-11-23, 06:05 AM
Your DM will have to be very careful what monsters they use after about 5th level. One Medusa could be a TPK as soon as you realize no one can turn those stoned back. Likewise disease becomes a very big issue in game.

As a thought, have only NPC full casters. That means you can still find the healer in town who can bring someone back from the dead, but it would not be a PC class.