PDA

View Full Version : Does an item/spell that doesn't stack with something slightly weaker trump...

dehro
2016-11-23, 12:34 PM
the other completely?
Say you have a belt of priestly might that grants +2 strength and +1 natural AC. Say you cast divine power which grants +6 strength. I assume they don't stack and that you get +6 strength, not +8.
What happens to the +1AC? Does it stay or is the item temporarily disabled in its entirety? I would say it stays...and that you go back to +2 STR when the spell duration has ended.

Conversely, say you cast bite of the wererat, which gives you multiple enhancements amongst which a +2 on constitution. Then you put on an object that gives you +6 constitution. I assume that, once again, your total constitution will go up by 6 and not by 2, or 8. What happens to the other bonuses? I assume they stay in effect, despite the source being a now partially dampened spell.
In such situations, does it make a difference whether the source of the non-stacking bonuses are spells, items, feats or other variety of sources? Is there a ranking of sorts in that respect?

DarkSoul
2016-11-23, 12:53 PM
the other completely?No, whatever bonuses you're given by one effect remain in place all the time, but multiple bonuses of the same type don't stack, only the highest one applies.

Say you have a belt of priestly might that grants +2 strength and +1 natural AC. Say you cast divine power which grants +6 strength. I assume they don't stack and that you get +6 strength, not +8.
What happens to the +1AC? Does it stay or is the item temporarily disabled in its entirety? I would say it stays...and that you go back to +2 STR when the spell duration has ended.The belt isn't deactivated, it's still providing all its bonuses all the time. The strength is just being overwritten by Divine Power. Your final thought about what happens is correct.

Conversely, say you cast bite of the wererat, which gives you multiple enhancements amongst which a +2 on constitution. Then you put on an object that gives you +6 constitution. I assume that, once again, your total constitution will go up by 6 and not by 2, or 8. What happens to the other bonuses? I assume they stay in effect, despite the source being a now partially dampened spell.Again, the effects aren't disabled, dispelled, or dampened in any way. They're all applying at full strength all the time but you only get the highest of the non-stacking bonuses instead of all of them.

In such situations, does it make a difference whether the source of the non-stacking bonuses are spells, items, feats or other variety of sources? Is there a ranking of sorts in that respect?Not that I'm aware of, for either question. I've always checked for bonus types regardless of source without any consideration for a possible hierarchy of effects.

dehro
2016-11-23, 01:39 PM
I figured that to be the case. Thank you for confirming it

sleepyphoenixx
2016-11-23, 01:49 PM
The rules for bonus stacking are found here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#stacking).

Stacking

In most cases, modifiers to a given check or roll stack (combine for a cumulative effect) if they come from different sources and have different types (or no type at all), but do not stack if they have the same type or come from the same source (such as the same spell cast twice in succession). If the modifiers to a particular roll do not stack, only the best bonus and worst penalty applies. Dodge bonuses and circumstance bonuses however, do stack with one another unless otherwise specified.

In short: It doesn't matter where the bonus comes from or how many you have or if several come from the same item.
The only thing that matters is bonus type - the biggest bonus of a particular type applies. Dodge and Circumstance bonuses always stack unless specified otherwise.

dehro
2016-11-23, 01:50 PM
I have a second question that I don't want to open another thread for.
I am wearing the belt of priestly might and it takes my strength up from 8 to 10.
This means that even without carrying anything but what I'm wearing, (I'm thinking of a handy haversack) I'm already at medium load at least. Is there an item other than the belt of the wide earth that increases my carrying capacity without altering the strength stat?
The belt of priestly might is a better fit, which rules out stronger belt of the giant strength and items that are parts of sets are banned.
In combat I'd cast things like righteous might and such.
However, I'd really like my out of combat mobility to not be nerfed by my own armor and shield.
It would actually fit my character just fine to be slowed down in daily activities, so I don't mind terribly.. But I am curious

exelsisxax
2016-11-23, 01:59 PM
Are muleback chords, heavyload belts, or ant haul in 3.5? They up your load size significantly no matter what else you've got.

Deophaun
2016-11-23, 02:39 PM
The Easy Travel armor enhancement. While it doesn't increase your carry capacity it does bring your light load up to medium. So, effectively you have light and heavy loads, and medium is folded into light.

Necroticplague
2016-11-23, 05:14 PM
I have a second question that I don't want to open another thread for.
I am wearing the belt of priestly might and it takes my strength up from 8 to 10.
This means that even without carrying anything but what I'm wearing, (I'm thinking of a handy haversack) I'm already at medium load at least. Is there an item other than the belt of the wide earth that increases my carrying capacity without altering the strength stat?
The belt of priestly might is a better fit, which rules out stronger belt of the giant strength and items that are parts of sets are banned.
In combat I'd cast things like righteous might and such.
However, I'd really like my out of combat mobility to not be nerfed by my own armor and shield.
It would actually fit my character just fine to be slowed down in daily activities, so I don't mind terribly.. But I am curious

MIC has rules for combining magic items in the same slot, so you could use those to smash a Belt of Priestly Might and a Belt of Wide Earth together.