PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A DND 3.5 Dragons and Sorcerers

Masema
2016-11-23, 01:53 PM
As far as I know, there are three ways to gain a dragon "type" as a Sorcerer in 3.5, barring special circumstances. Those are Draconic Heritage (complete arcane), Dragon Disciple (SRD) and Half-Dragon (MM). Each one requires you to choose a dragon type when you first take it, changing the way that they interact. Per the rules, a Half-Dragon cannot take a level of Dragon Disciple and a Half-Dragon with Draconic Heritage must take the same dragon type for both the Half-Dragon and Draconic Heritage.
Now, I have one question. When a Sorcerer with Draconic Heritage takes a level in Dragon Disciple, can he choose a different dragon type? For instance, if you take Draconic Heritage(Red), would you be able to take Dragon Disciple (Blue)?

Inevitability
2016-11-23, 02:11 PM
Theoretically, yes.

The only shaky ground I can see is the point where you gain the half-dragon template, but that's probably fine. After all, Draconic Heritage specifically refers to a choice made differently by half-dragons, which probably doesn't apply when the character has already made the choice upon becoming a half-dragon.

Masema
2016-11-23, 05:22 PM
Theoretically, yes.

The only shaky ground I can see is the point where you gain the half-dragon template, but that's probably fine. After all, Draconic Heritage specifically refers to a choice made differently by half-dragons, which probably doesn't apply when the character has already made the choice upon becoming a half-dragon.

So, Dragon Disciple (red) 10 taking Draconic Heritage MUST take Draconic Heritage(Red), but not vice versa?

Inevitability
2016-11-24, 01:49 AM
So, Dragon Disciple (red) 10 taking Draconic Heritage MUST take Draconic Heritage(Red), but not vice versa?

Pretty much. D&D is weird like that.

Manyasone
2016-11-24, 02:59 AM
But still, it all depends on the DM for weird rules like that

Inevitability
2016-11-24, 08:53 AM
But still, it all depends on the DM for weird rules like that

Sure, the DM can rule zero anything, but that doesn't mean that rules oddity existing depends on the DM. On the contrary: the oddity not existing is what you need a DM for.

Manyasone
2016-11-24, 12:50 PM
Sure, the DM can rule zero anything, but that doesn't mean that rules oddity existing depends on the DM. On the contrary: the oddity not existing is what you need a DM for.

Either I misunderstood you or you misunderstood me, mate :smallsmile: I mean that stuff like this, to me anyway, floats around the same category as 'dragon disciple is self-cancelling at PC lvl 10'. So your DM adds a bit of common sense to the mix for the better (or worse)

Inevitability
2016-11-24, 01:23 PM
Either I misunderstood you or you misunderstood me, mate :smallsmile: I mean that stuff like this, to me anyway, floats around the same category as 'dragon disciple is self-cancelling at PC lvl 10'. So your DM adds a bit of common sense to the mix for the better (or worse)

You said that Weird Rule X applying depends on the DM.

I say that Weird Rule X being overruled depends on the DM.

In retrospect, we were probably just saying the same.