PDA

View Full Version : Flakes. So annoying.

Linken
2016-11-23, 02:04 PM
Not cornflakes, ya silly, I mean flakes. People that flake out from games and what they do. You know one. Everyone knows one! Happened just recently in a Skype game a friend of mine's running. He said '6:30PM, GMT, Wednesday.' Everyone seemed happy with that time, and we're all in roughly the same time zone so it's not ridiculously early or late.

So I'm on Skype in time, GM has a roll call. I'm literally the only one who answers. Nobody else gives a rhyme or reason why they've not shown up. I've been waiting for this game for about a month and a half. First I was hyped, but now it's just damn boring waiting. I've been waiting for half an hour, now, and still nobody's showed up but me and the GM. No reasons given, nothing.

I'm sorry, I understand 'RL issues' and all that, but if it's getting that bad that you have to delay the game for a MONTH AND A HALF... just UGH. Worst part is, the GM needs '4 players' for the game he's devised and not one less. I asked him why, and he basically said 'Because I ****ing want four players.', so we need to keep them. It's too hard to find players.

/rant D:

Razade
2016-11-23, 02:34 PM
Happens all the time on these very boards sadly. Have lost of amazing games due to it, games I really miss even to this day.

Winter_Wolf
2016-11-24, 09:12 AM
These are the questions I ask myself when dealing with these people:
Do I like/value this person's company enough to keep putting myself in this position?
Am I willing to accept the certain continuing disappointment/aggravation/frustration of this person bailing or pulling no shows?
Do I have a choice about how I'm spending my time?

Never mind gaming, I've cut people out of my entire life for flaking just a little too often. It's not spite, it's not petty, it's simply a fact that time is my most limited resource and said people aren't respecting my time or my person and they're wasting the one resource that has a 100% finite cap. I can make more money, I can make more friends, but the best I can do with time is shuffle some things around and sacrifice something else I could be doing with said time. Hen people flake for whatever reason, they're sending a very clear message. My response is simple. "You know what? No hard feelings, but we're done here. Best of luck, but I need to look after my own life and not just wait on yours."

Ofewww
2016-11-24, 01:31 PM
Happens all the time on these very boards sadly. Have lost of amazing games due to it, games I really miss even to this day.

I totally do understand what you are talking about because I also miss them a lot even up to this day either..

that's what I was doing when suffering from insomnia.

Razade
2016-11-25, 01:03 AM
I totally do understand what you are talking about because I also miss them a lot even up to this day either.

Beep boop pre-programmed human response loaded. Thank you very much, I enjoyed your comment.

Prince Zahn
2016-11-26, 02:07 AM
. . . A part of me was hoping this was a thread about dandruff, I feel bad now for flaking out on our play by post:smallsigh:

Anyway, as you said real life happening is certainly a common cause for stopping the game, there's also losing momentum of the game, or when the player doesn't connect enough to his character, or even a gradual waning interest. There are other, more extreme reasons, I'm certain, but this is not what's common, and it's hardly intended to be something personal. Being an online game, it's a lot easier to flake out of it because the commitment isn't really all that binding, when that happens, you need new players. I'm sorry to hear about your game with your friends.

Linken
2016-11-27, 05:52 AM
. . . A part of me was hoping this was a thread about dandruff, I feel bad now for flaking out on our play by post:smallsigh:

Anyway, as you said real life happening is certainly a common cause for stopping the game, there's also losing momentum of the game, or when the player doesn't connect enough to his character, or even a gradual waning interest. There are other, more extreme reasons, I'm certain, but this is not what's common, and it's hardly intended to be something personal. Being an online game, it's a lot easier to flake out of it because the commitment isn't really all that binding, when that happens, you need new players. I'm sorry to hear about your game with your friends.

No, no, this isn't about you- I just posted it as a little rant because of my group not even showing up. At the FIRST SESSION.

2016-11-27, 05:57 AM
I flake, a lot. It's not because I enjoy ruining people's fun, though; it's because there's always so many exciting game concepts, and I have characters and builds I'd love to play in them, and I get so excited! And then when the game rolls around, either the story or the mechanics fail to hold my interest for very long. Not to say that they're boring! I just have a poor attention span and Professor Calamitous Disease. It doesn't help that the games I manage to still be interested in are so many that I don't really have time to participate in all of them. So I end up flaking out, a lot, both as a player and a DM, and it makes me feel really ****ty every time it happens.

If anybody reading this has played with me in a game where I ended up flaking out, I would like to reiterate my previous apologies from back then.

Serpentine
2016-11-27, 06:55 AM
I'm sorry about your flake.
Have a better Flake.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2192/2176232531_03d5e62611_b.jpg
Now I want a Flake.

lylsyly
2016-11-27, 12:30 PM
I play Tradewars 2002. I learned along time ago to never sign up for a tournament game because something ALWAYS came up to keep me out. It does happen.
I resist doing PbP games now because of my past experiences.