PDA

View Full Version : Human witch with 4 hexes at level 1: Soothsayer or Misfortune for hex #4?

Zhentarim
2016-11-23, 02:34 PM
My other 3 hexes are evil eye, cackle, and fortune. Which is a better 4th hex, as I took the extra hex feat twice at level 1: Soothsayer or misfortune?

Psyren
2016-11-23, 02:38 PM
If you're a Witch 1 with Extra Hex twice, shouldn't you only have 3 hexes?

Zhentarim
2016-11-23, 03:36 PM
If you're a Witch 1 with Extra Hex twice, shouldn't you only have 3 hexes?

You know, you're right!
I should take hex#4 off.

So, if my first two hexes are evil eye and cackle, is fortune or misfortune a better 3rd hex?

Kurald Galain
2016-11-23, 03:48 PM
So, if my first two hexes are evil eye and cackle, is fortune or misfortune a better 3rd hex?

You should take Misfortune instead of Evil Eye (because it has the same purpose but is simply more effective; note how EE is mind-affecting and MF is not!) and then take Fortune as your 3rd hex.

Zhentarim
2016-11-23, 11:10 PM
You should take Misfortune instead of Evil Eye (because it has the same purpose but is simply more effective; note how EE is mind-affecting and MF is not!) and then take Fortune as your 3rd hex.

Do evil eye and misfortune stack?

Psyren
2016-11-23, 11:28 PM

Of course, why wouldn't they? They do totally different things.

Ninjaxenomorph
2016-11-24, 12:57 AM
Technically a witch with the Gingerbread Witch archetype, if the GM ruled that having that having the child-scent and cauldron hexes qualified you for taking Extra Hex, could have four hexes at first level. Anyway, if you don't mind your GM wanting to throw books at you, Slumber is a nice hex. I will note that Evil Eye is good for tanking saves, since even if it is mind-affecting, it has a round of effect regardless of save. Makes a good setup for nastier hexes or spells. Prehensile Hair and Flight are also good, the former if you want to deliver touch spells (and you can effectively pull your Int worth of strength our of your ass in a pinch!), the latter because almost at-will Fly, yo.

Kurald Galain
2016-11-24, 01:21 AM

In practice combat doesn't last long enough to spend more than one turn debuffing a single enemy. Action economy is important.

Zhentarim
2016-11-24, 11:01 AM
In practice combat doesn't last long enough to spend more than one turn debuffing a single enemy. Action economy is important.

alright, then

Malroth
2016-11-24, 04:48 PM
Unless you're very good at stealth, then surprise round no audible or visible component pre battle hexes are a thing.