PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Edition Campaign

Jorgo
2016-11-23, 04:24 PM
Does anyone know if there is an extended 2nd edition prepublished campaign like there was in first edition with the Temple of Elemental Evil, through to the Queen Of The Spiders?

LibraryOgre
2016-11-23, 04:42 PM
The Night Below was a simply massive one that I've never managed to complete. The opening section, the Haranshire, was a great low-level adventuring section, but as you moved into the titular Night Below, the game dragged, IME.

Mutazoia
2016-11-26, 09:42 AM
You can still run the 1st ed. stuff in 2nd ed...it doesn't require much (if any) adjustments to do so. On the other hand, there was a lot of 2nd ed stuff published for the Forgotten Realms after the 1st ed/2nd ed change over (The Time of Troubles (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_of_Troubles_(Forgotten_Realms))) that actually had in game effects for the rules revisions.

Tiktakkat
2016-11-28, 02:35 PM
I would note that the ToEE -> Slavers -> Queen of the Spiders "campaign" was not written as such.
It was the partial home campaign notes plus two sets of tournament adventures given some rewrite gloss and turned into a "proto-AP".
The result is actually rather kludged, and I'd be highly suspicious of anyone managing to run them in order, as suggested. There is no way of clearing the Temple and being under 7th level and be challenged by Slavers.

As such, there are a number of 2nd ed. adventures that work as "unofficial" lead-ins for each other, starting with the 25th Anniversary versions of Keep on the Borderlands, Slavers, and Against the Giants.
Another good pairing is the Shattered Circle (1st-3rd) and Gates of Firestorm Peak (5th-8th). (You'd need something to fill between them of course.)
And if you want to get "epic", you could go Return to White Plume Mountain (7th-10th), Rod of Seven Parts (10th-12th), and Return to the Tomb of Horrors (13th-16th)

The Night Below was a simply massive one that I've never managed to complete. The opening section, the Haranshire, was a great low-level adventuring section, but as you moved into the titular Night Below, the game dragged, IME.

I wouldn't say "dragged" so much as overwhelmed.
IT
JUST
NEVER
ENDED
!!!11!
Making it worse was that so many of them relied on huge numbers of monsters for the challenge.
Mass battles with 50-60 whatevers wears by the fifth time, and numbs by the tenth.

Also, as it proceeded, the various sections had less and less detail, to the point of being more random notes for you to design your encounters than an actual published adventure itself.
I noticed this same issue with several of their big projects - Axe of the Dwarvish Lords, Greyhawk Ruins (the original, not Expedition to), and Dragon Mountain come to mind.
I have to wonder if they went over deadline and just shipped them as is.

Khedrac
2016-12-01, 05:42 AM
WGR1: The Ruins of Castle Greyhawk also comes close to this at it was for levels 2 to 15.
(Don't confuse with WG7 - the comedy version.)
There's a not bad review of it here (http://d20darkages.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/finding-gems-wgr1-greyhawk-ruins.html).

thorr-kan
2016-12-02, 11:21 AM
Al-Qadim has a variety of modules that have mini-arcs or campaigns. The most contained is probably the "A Dozen and One Adventures" boxed set, set in the city of Muluk. This will go from level 1 to level 12.

Assassin Mounting goes from levels 5-9, but fits in almost seamlessly with "12+1 Adventures."

FreddyNoNose
2016-12-11, 04:38 PM
I never ran it but Ruins of the Undermountain is massive.

Quickblade
2016-12-11, 06:45 PM
In the BECMI campaigns x4 Master of the Desert Nomads and x5 Temple of Death is a two part campaign covering levels 4-9.