PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed What's the worst that could happen?

Flickerdart
2016-11-23, 05:05 PM
You were killed, then fed to a bag of devouring and raised until the % roll was failed. Your soul was sold to Elder Evils and Asmodeus, trapped in a thinaun weapon, which was then placed into a secret chest, and lost. Additionally, you have antagonized the God of the Underworld.

But, you think to yourself, at least it can't get any worse.

Can it? What is the way to make you even more difficult to bring back?

Note that alternate ways of doing the same things do not make you more dead, because they are mutually exclusive with the existing methods. I am only interested in means that stack, in order to increase the total dead-ness of the creature. So far, the following have been achieved:

The creature's soul has been trapped in a thinaun weapon, which cannot be destroyed to release the soul because it is lost
The creature cannot be raised by mortal magic
Whatever selling your soul does, twice
The SDA gift of life cannot be used because the underworld deity will not permit it

Can we somehow hit the following clauses without getting rid of the ones we already have:

True name is destroyed
Body turned into undead (and the undead rendered indestructible or unreachable somehow) which forbids resurrection
Sphere of annihilation, which forbids resurrection by non-divine means
The SDA life and death which forbids resurrection by deities of lower divine rank

Also what are some other things we can work in?

Cirtona Pox
2016-11-24, 06:25 PM
A SoA is basically the one stop shop for removing a person/creature/being from any campaign world.

As far as stacking the conditions listed, I think you have just about maxed it unless you want to get into homebrewing.

My question is WHO IN THE CRYSTAL SPHERES HAS OFFENDED YOU THIS MUCH???!!! What would necessitate such an act of utter contempt? Or is it a prison for a bad guy that just will not go away?

Not judging... just curious. Evil is my forte'. Hell, it's my thirte' and twente' too.

Buufreak
2016-11-24, 08:00 PM
Fiend Binder has the bit about any fiend you have bound drags your soul to Hell if you remain dead for 24 hours. Interestingly enough, you can have multiple fiends bound at the same time, so I suppose you can add all of Baator and the Abyss to that list of ownership.

Evil is my forte'. Hell, it's my thirte' and twente' too.

Hi, and welcome to GitP. You seem to be somewhat new here, have you met Red Fel? Here are some things by (and about) him to familiarize yourself: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19052344&postcount=124
:

unseenmage
2016-11-24, 08:09 PM
What there is of your corpse is brought back as one of those undead that keeps you from being resurrected.

The thinaun your soul was in and/or your soul itself were used/consumed as a spell component.

You were a Construct who died under the effect of a Greater Humanoid Essence spell so you mightve not even had a soul to start with and/or your soul was a temporary condition.

Isnt there an epic prestige class that makes you practucally stop existing? Pretty hard to be brought back if your very existence is forgotten.

The Dreamheart and Far Realm do weird stuff cosmologically. IIRC they make it harder to be brought back if they get you.

Are there any magical compulsions that can make the soul itself not want to come back?

Edit: Oh yeah! The Portable Hole Bag if Holding trick that makes the contents cease to be. Could do that to the soul too.

Zanos
2016-11-24, 08:16 PM
I'm not sure what stacks with this, but a character who cannot endure the Necropolitian ritual "is destroyed, turned to dust, and can never be raised or revived again using any means." That language is pretty final. Level drain your enemies than try to turn them into skeletons, and they're gone forever.

GilesTheCleric
2016-11-24, 08:31 PM
Iirc if you die at level one and then are revived, you lose 2 con permanently, right? So what about continually dying and being raised until you're at 0 con?

Soranar
2016-11-24, 09:43 PM
the thinaun weapon that bound the creature's soul was eaten by a Tarrasque
that same Tarrasque was cast away by an imprisonment spell
the Tarrasque's prison was further hidden by a deity that cast a permanent non detection on it

So, to find the weapon, they need to
-find the Tarrasque
-free the Tarrasque
-find the weapon in the Tarrasque
-free your soul from the Weapon

Flickerdart
2016-11-24, 10:14 PM
A SoA is basically the one stop shop for removing a person/creature/being from any campaign world.

As far as stacking the conditions listed, I think you have just about maxed it unless you want to get into homebrewing.

My question is WHO IN THE CRYSTAL SPHERES HAS OFFENDED YOU THIS MUCH???!!! What would necessitate such an act of utter contempt? Or is it a prison for a bad guy that just will not go away?

Not judging... just curious. Evil is my forte'. Hell, it's my thirte' and twente' too.
http://i.imgur.com/fTTBLia.gif

Fiend Binder has the bit about any fiend you have bound drags your soul to Hell if you remain dead for 24 hours. Interestingly enough, you can have multiple fiends bound at the same time, so I suppose you can add all of Baator and the Abyss to that list of ownership.

Not bad, but Asmodeus can probably curbstomp them on his own time, so it doesn't help all that much.

What there is of your corpse is brought back as one of those undead that keeps you from being resurrected.
That is listed as one of the desired add-ons, but currently you die as a result of the bag of devouring, which destroys the body, so you can't be an undead.

The thinaun your soul was in and/or your soul itself were used/consumed as a spell component.

Unacceptable - a destroyed thinaun weapon frees the soul.

You were a Construct who died under the effect of a Greater Humanoid Essence spell so you mightve not even had a soul to start with and/or your soul was a temporary condition.
That tends to depend on the original target, sadly...

Edit: Oh yeah! The Portable Hole Bag if Holding trick that makes the contents cease to be. Could do that to the soul too.
That could work to get rid of the thinaun weapon more reliably than the secret chest which mentions something about an expedition that can retrieve it.

I'm not sure what stacks with this, but a character who cannot endure the Necropolitian ritual "is destroyed, turned to dust, and can never be raised or revived again using any means." That language is pretty final. Level drain your enemies than try to turn them into skeletons, and they're gone forever.
Good find! Any way we can combine that with methods like sphere of annihilation or bag of devouring that annihilate the body?

Iirc if you die at level one and then are revived, you lose 2 con permanently, right? So what about continually dying and being raised until you're at 0 con?
No, you cannot go to 0 - if you would go to 0 you simply cannot be raised (but true resurrection works).

the thinaun weapon that bound the creature's soul was eaten by a Tarrasque
that same Tarrasque was cast away by an imprisonment spell
the Tarrasque's prison was further hidden by a deity that cast a permanent non detection on it

So, to find the weapon, they need to
-find the Tarrasque
-free the Tarrasque
-find the weapon in the Tarrasque
-free your soul from the Weapon
Portable Hole + Bag of Holding seems more reliable.

Bad Wolf
2016-11-25, 04:45 PM
Acquire their soul through various means, and then use it as a spell component. No coming back from that.

Flickerdart
2016-11-25, 06:29 PM
Acquire their soul through various means, and then use it as a spell component. No coming back from that.

What spell uses a soul as a component?

Hurnn
2016-11-26, 12:06 AM
Put the chest in the body of an ancient red dragon (way tougher and better than big T) either eaten or i know there is some way to have a secret cavity on your own body you can hide stuff in, cast no detection on it and the chest, and imprison the dragon in one of the wells of darkness on the 73rd layer of the abyss.

Flickerdart
2016-11-26, 12:10 AM
Put the chest in the body of an ancient red dragon (way tougher and better than big T) either eaten or i know there is some way to have a secret cavity on your own body you can hide stuff in, cast no detection on it and the chest, and imprison the dragon in one of the wells of darkness on the 73rd layer of the abyss.

No, no. The whole point of secret chest is "After sixty days, there is a cumulative chance of 5% per day that the chest is irretrievably lost."

unseenmage
2016-11-26, 12:21 AM

I do not remember exactly and am AFBs at the moment but I know it was in BoVD.

Bad Wolf
2016-11-26, 12:51 AM

You can use it to knock 10 XP off of spell costs.

Segev
2016-11-26, 01:59 AM
Manifest mind seed on the creature at some point before it cannot be further resurrected. Even if somebody brings it back, it won't be the person you hated enough to do this to.

Twist it's soul into being aligned with a fast-time plane for its final rest. After sufficient time, the petitioner merges with the plane. No distinct soul left to retrieve!

Fizban
2016-11-26, 04:53 AM
That could work to get rid of the thinaun weapon more reliably than the secret chest which mentions something about an expedition that can retrieve it.
Either way, put it in a container with its own Mind Blank effect before making it vanish. Now Wish can't even find it in order to mount the expedition.

Good find! Any way we can combine that with methods like sphere of annihilation or bag of devouring that annihilate the body?
If they're turned to dust you still have dust left to throw in the bag or sphere.

Any spell you want. A soul in a thinaun item should count as a soul in a receptacle for BoVD, which gives you +10 on cl to beat SR, so might need to be an SR spell. Usually paired with whatever cantrip the caster finds offensively bad.

PaucaTerrorem
2016-11-26, 07:39 AM
A cat took a dump in the secret chest just before it was lost.

Doesn't add to the total dead-ness but it is a worse scenario.

GilesTheCleric
2016-11-26, 10:29 AM
Either way, put it in a container with its own Mind Blank effect before making it vanish. Now Wish can't even find it in order to mount the expedition.

Mind Blank, Vecna-Blooded, and Nystul's Magic Aura. Just in case.

Similar to the Mind Seed, you could also PAO them twice to make harder to find if someone somehow does know what to look for.

DarkSoul
2016-11-26, 12:10 PM
Once the soul is trapped in the thinaun weapon, place the weapon in the hands of the body and take it to the leader of the Garrote for permanent removal. This would put it out of reach of even the aforementioned god of the underworld.

danielxcutter
2016-11-27, 12:50 AM
If a Demilich manages to take your soul and it isn't rescued in eight days or so, it's destroyed. Even going back in time won't work, because I believe that time traveling in d&d only creates a parallel universe where a demilich didn't nom your soul and in the original universe you're still gone.