PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Planeswalking in D&D 3.5 [PEACH]

LastCenturion
2016-11-23, 11:47 PM
This is an exercise to translate the flavor from one of my favorite games (Magic: The Gathering) to the mechanics of another of my favorite games (Dungeons and Dragons, 3.5e). This is probably best used in a campaign planned to include it, so that all of the players can use it and nobody is behind or ahead of anyone else as a result of it.

Sparkbearer
Sparkbearer is an inherited template that can be applied to any humanoid creature. A Sparkbearer creature has the following characteristics:
Ability score adjustments: None
LA +2
Favored Class: Any Spellcaster
Ascending: When a Sparkbearing creature becomes in danger of dying (an attack could deal enough damage to kill them, they approach an executioner's block to die, et cetera) they may (at the DM's will) acquire the Planeswalker template (described below).
Minor Arcana: A Sparkbearing creature has innate talent for magic, no matter what their life is like otherwise. A Sparkbearing creature may cast any spell of 0th level. This ability can only be used a number of times per day equal to the effective character level of the creature.

Planeswalker
Planeswalker is an acquired template that can be gained by any humanoid creature with the Sparkbearer template in a moment of crisis. A Planeswalker creature has the following characteristics.
Ability score adjustments: +2 to Charisma, Wisdom, or Intelligence (chosen when this template is gained, permanent). This bonus can be applied in the form of +1 to two different abilities, or +2 to a single ability.
LA 0 (LA from the Sparkbearer template is still applied as normal)
Acension: When a creature gains this template, they are immediately transported out of danger to a place determined randomly or by the DM, on a plane determined randomly or by the DM.
Planeswalking: A Planeswalker creature may cast Plane Shift at will as an Spell-Like Ability. This ability takes 2d6 minutes to use, and cannot match the accuracy of the spell; use the rules for the Teleport spell when determining how far off-target a planeswalk goes, except that a result of on-target is treated as if it were off-target. In the case of a "similar" result, the planeswalker always ends up on the plane that he or she wanted to go to. A Planeswalker gets more accurate as they increase in power; add their effective character level to the accuracy check involved in planeswalking.
Mana Attunement: Planeswalkers are attuned to the energies involved in casting spells. A Planeswalker creature may cast Detect Magic at will as a Spell-Like Ability. In addition, whenever a planeswalker casts a spell or uses a spell-like ability not granted by this template, they do so with a +1 bonus to caster level.
Planar Protection (Su): A Planeswalker is constantly under the effects of the spell Avoid Planar Effects.

khadgar567
2016-11-24, 01:45 AM
well planes walker template looks good and if you ask me ı ditch the sparkbreaker then boost the stats of planes walker template

ImperatorV
2016-11-24, 12:19 PM
Don't planeswalkers get some other stuff as well? I definitely remember something like enhanced mana-sense and having an easier time learning magic. Also LA+2 is too much for just an escape/travel ability that is unreliable and can't be used in combat anyway. Oh wait, you also get a one-time get-out-of-death-free card. Still not worth LA+2.

I'd say make sparkbearer LA+1, and grant favored class (any spellcaster). Planeswalker is still LA+0 and now gives detect magic at will as well - also consider making the accuracy of planeswalk scale with level so higher up you can aim more easily. Alternatively, give them the ability to bond to locations and be able to planeswalk to those locations accurately (which even has a readily-available lore explanation in the form of bonded lands).

NecroDancer
2016-11-24, 12:41 PM
Perhaps let them cast detect magic and comprehend languages at will

khadgar567
2016-11-24, 01:03 PM
@ImperatorV
correct me if i am wrong but did planeswalkers gain empowered abilities from their sparks getting activated. like blue mana mental magic guy gaining mass mind reading or liliana gaining better necromancy power from ascending.

LastCenturion
2016-11-24, 02:16 PM
@ImperatorV
correct me if i am wrong but did planeswalkers gain empowered abilities from their sparks getting activated. like blue mana mental magic guy gaining mass mind reading or liliana gaining better necromancy power from ascending.

I don't think so. The sparks might have contributed to their magic, but I think their prowess is due to practice, not necessarily boosted by the sparks. For example, we know as a fact that Jace was a very skilled telepath well before his spark ignited, and Chandra would never have ascended if not for the predicament that her advanced pyromancy put her in. The same goes for Nissa: Her magic was the whole cause for her ascension.

Rereading your statement, I suppose we don't have proof that magic is NOT augmented when one emerges as a planeswalker.

To everybody: Thanks for the suggestions! I've updated the templates. I'm worried that it's underpowered for LA +2, but it seems overpowered for LA +1. Comments?

khadgar567
2016-11-24, 02:42 PM
Again correct me if i wrong but white planeswaker is pure warrior before and after ascending bo be specific he is figter then goes to become knight after ascending

LastCenturion
2016-11-24, 06:07 PM
Closer to a paladin, I think. Gideon is a heiromancer, which translates to law magic.

ImperatorV
2016-11-24, 08:14 PM
If it still seems underpowered, just add some more abilities. Bring the ability score bonus up to +2, add some other bonus - constant avoid planar effects perhaps? Seems like that would come in handy.

...There was a planeswalker base class someone made... Let me look for it.

Found it, (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?189767-3-5-The-Planeswalker-(WIP-PEACH)) you could look through this for inspiration.

LastCenturion
2016-11-24, 08:44 PM
That's a good idea. I'll update the template.