PDA

View Full Version : Heimdall in 5e - Norse Game

GandalfTheWhite
2016-11-23, 11:53 PM
What domains would you recommend for Heimdall from Norse mythology, and how would you build a demigod child sired by him?

Stats are 15/14/17/13/8/18

DracoKnight
2016-11-23, 11:56 PM
The PHB has him listed as Light and War.

Mongobear
2016-11-23, 11:56 PM
from the PHB Domains, the only one I can think of is War because that whole Pantheon is pretty stereotypical in that aspect.

If you allow Unearthed Arcana, maybe Protection since he literally does nothing but guard a bridge into Asgard all the time.

Gwendol
2016-11-25, 07:28 AM
Heimdall is associated with light, fire, and the sun. He had divine eyesight and hearing, and obviously the horn of gjallar.

During Ragnarök he fights Loki and the two kill each other, both ending up impaled on a spear.

Spellbreaker26
2016-11-25, 08:28 AM
Light, War, and if you want to use the new UA, Protection is very thematic as well.

Gwendol
2016-11-25, 03:40 PM
Heimdall is not a god of war, the norse had others for that. He had nine mothers, was not a child of Odin, yet one of the asir, and is said to have helped the first men (taught them the runes, how to tame the fire, and crafts). Knowledge is likely a better domain, maybe Forge could work.

DracoKnight
2016-11-25, 03:42 PM
Heimdall is not a god of war, the norse had others for that. He had nine mothers, was not a child of Odin, yet one of the asir, and is said to have helped the first men (taught them the runes, how to tame the fire, and crafts). Knowledge is likely a better domain, maybe Forge could work.

Yeah, if I were to stat him out, I'd probably make him a god of Light and Forge.

Arcangel4774
2016-11-25, 03:49 PM
As lore goes heimdallr's greatest feats or well known facts seem to be his prophecized destruction fighting Loki, his description as "the whitest of the gods", his guardianship of the rainbow bridge separating earth and heaven called bifrost, and his blowing of gjalhorrn which will raise dead heroes to fight during ragnorok.

As many have stated war, light, and protection make good clerical classes for him.

As he teaches runic magic, which correlates with a translation where whitest of the gods is instead brightest of the gods, arcana or knowledge could also potentially fit.