PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Swiftblade's Fortified Hustle vs Slow

Kuu Lightwing
2016-11-24, 10:44 AM
Am I reading it right that once Swiftblade gets Fortified Hustle feature, she actually gets more vulnerable to Slow spell?

Reason: Haste is now an (Ex) effect which grants all the bonuses, extra attack and stuff. If a Swiftblade is now affected by Slow which doesn't dispell Haste, it gives all the penalties that cancel those of Haste and restricts the Swiftblade to only move or standard action, thus preventing her from making a full attack in the first place, while if Slow countered Haste, she would still be able to make full attacks and other full-round actions.

DarkSoul
2016-11-24, 11:50 AM
Am I reading it right that once Swiftblade gets Fortified Hustle feature, she actually gets more vulnerable to Slow spell?

Reason: Haste is now an (Ex) effect which grants all the bonuses, extra attack and stuff. If a Swiftblade is now affected by Slow which doesn't dispell Haste, it gives all the penalties that cancel those of Haste and restricts the Swiftblade to only move or standard action, thus preventing her from making a full attack in the first place, while if Slow countered Haste, she would still be able to make full attacks and other full-round actions.I would rule that haste and slow counteract each other for the duration of each effect and the swiftblade just moves at normal speed as though neither spell was active. I would also rule that the slow effect can be dispelled to allow the haste effect to reactivate.

Kuu Lightwing
2016-11-24, 12:15 PM
Well, Dispel Magic is a 3rd level spell - same as Haste, but Dispel Magic can fail and Swiftblade can cast Haste as a Swift action, so in this case Slow still is bigger inconvenience that it would be if it simply dispelled it...

sleepyphoenixx
2016-11-24, 12:23 PM
Well, Dispel Magic is a 3rd level spell - same as Haste, but Dispel Magic can fail and Swiftblade can cast Haste as a Swift action, so in this case Slow still is bigger inconvenience that it would be if it simply dispelled it...

Haste also dispels Slow. So you can just re-cast Haste as a swift action if you're hit with Slow and be fine.

Kuu Lightwing
2016-11-24, 12:30 PM
Don't you have to make a caster level check, though?

DarkSoul
2016-11-24, 01:54 PM
Don't you have to make a caster level check, though?Only if you're using dispel magic. Using specific spells as counterspells work automatically (PHB pg. 170).

Kuu Lightwing
2016-11-24, 02:22 PM
Only if you're using dispel magic. Using specific spells as counterspells work automatically (PHB pg. 170).

But that's for a counterspell. Counterspell requires you to ready an action before the spell is cast, which most Swiftblades probably wouldn't do, because they're busy hitting the enemy with a pointy stick. In this case she needs to dispell a spell that's already in effect.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-11-24, 02:26 PM
But that's for a counterspell.
It's also for dispel.

Haste dispels and counters slow.

Kuu Lightwing
2016-11-24, 02:34 PM
It's also for dispel.

Yea, I see that, but still, I don't see any rules about how does it work. And (you know what the next question would be, don't you? :smallamused:) What about... Physical Acceleration (http://dsp-d20-srd.wikidot.com/physical-acceleration)? And a psionic adaptation of Swiftblade that has an ability similar to Swiftblade's:

While under the effect of a Physical Acceleration power that she manifests herself, the effect becomes extraordinary rather than a continuous power effect, and therefore cannot be dispelled by any means. The Physical Acceleration power otherwise functions as it normally would and is expended normally.