PDA

View Full Version : Wizard's spell collection.

VertDeLion
2016-11-24, 08:29 PM
Hello, its the insufferable first-time DM again! It turns out my party (of 7 people, holy ****.) has two Wizards, and I was reading into how they collect and store spells. I was wondering if Spell Scrolls lose their magic once transferred, or could the party just by one Spell Scroll, and pass it around for them to learn.

This is a weird team I've started to DM, with more people than I wanted (4-6 would've been great). I've got a Scaleborn Fighter, Dragonborn Druid, Fairy Wizard, Pixie Monk, High Elf Ranger (I know right?), Sephirot Wizard (fallen angel), and a Human Cleric, with a possible 8th coming in from Italy.
Since we've never played with Wizards before, I never thought about selling scrolls or having magic scrolls drop as loot, so I'm trying to figure out which spells should be dropped when, and how much stores should sell them. I don't want the spellcasters to break the bank just to ready a Fireball, but I also want to hold them back from just buying everything and amassing a greater arcane knowledge than the Cerulean Eye (arcane masters)

Kane0
2016-11-24, 08:40 PM
I believe historically speaking scrolls are used up when written into a mage's spellbook, though you are free to rule otherwise.

Loot is also completely up to you, though tools like what can be found here (https://donjon.bin.sh/)can be very helpful.

furby076
2016-11-24, 09:00 PM
Where did you find the races of pixie and faerie.

SharkForce
2016-11-25, 12:10 AM
whether a scroll is used up or not is irrelevant from a scribing perspective, if you want to share.

one person uses the scroll. the next person learns it from their spell book and then return it. the next two people learn from those two spell books. and so on.

Daishain
2016-11-25, 12:37 AM
As I understand it, a scroll is only used up if the spell is completed. Copying the relevant information from said scroll does not trigger that condition. Therefore, yes, both wizards could copy the spell, and then hand it off to their buddy for him to cast in a pinch for good measure. Don't forget to make them pay the scribing costs though.

With that stated, especially in this edition, you are under absolutely no obligation to have spell scrolls available for purchase at all. And if they are available, you are under no obligation to have the ones they particularly want on hand. Make them quest for that knowledge, and/or pay for it with something considerably more of interest than mere gold.

Coffee_Dragon
2016-11-25, 12:55 AM
DMG, pp 200-1:

"A wizard spell on a spell scroll can be copied just as spells in spellbooks can be copied. When a spell is copied from a spell scroll, the copier must succeed on an Intelligence (Arcana) check with a DC equal to 10 + the spell's level. If the check succeeds, the spell is successfully copied. Whether the check succeeds or fails, the spell scroll is destroyed."

Christian
2016-11-25, 01:00 AM
A wizard spell on a spell scroll can be copied just as spells in spellbooks can be copied. When a spell is copied from a spell scroll, the copier must succeed on an Intelligence (Arcana) check with a DC equal to 10 + the spell's level. If the check succeeds, the spell is successfully copied. Whether the check succeeds or fails, the spell scroll is destroyed.

So, yes, the scroll is used up when you copy the spell, and possibly even if you don't manage to copy the spell. But SharkForce is correct, spells can be copied from one spellbook to another, so as long as the first copying succeeds, all of the wizards in the party can get the spell.

Edit: Darn Coffee_Dragon and his high initiative rolls!

Coffee_Dragon
2016-11-25, 12:40 PM
I like how we're both pedantic/academic enough to put "pp" instead of just "p"...

VertDeLion
2016-12-14, 02:15 AM
Where did you find the races of pixie and faerie.

Sorry it took so long to reply. I used a modified version of this homebrew sheet homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/S1-b5GskQ, which I watered down to be able to fit my campaign.

Petrocorus
2016-12-14, 06:50 PM
Scaleborn Fighter, Sephirot Wizard (fallen angel)

And what about those races? Are they from UA?

Lawful Good
2016-12-17, 11:00 AM
Make them quest for that knowledge, and/or pay for it with something considerably more of interest than mere gold.

I have found this in the past to be an excellent story hook for my party's wizard. Never underestimate a player's desire for loot.

Sorry it took so long to reply. I used a modified version of this homebrew sheet homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/S1-b5GskQ, which I watered down to be able to fit my campaign.

My new dream is to be a fairy that rides a battle corgi :smallbiggrin:

j_spencer93
2016-12-17, 11:38 AM
yea must ask, where are these races coming from?

Tanarii
2016-12-17, 11:45 AM
Of course, being able to just copy from the first wizards spell book assumes they're willing to share.

Generally speaking, I've found this is only the case in single-party campaigns, with a specific sub-set of 'hero PCs'. Or some gold changing hands.