PDA

View Full Version : Push effects?

Aetis
2016-11-25, 12:11 AM
Are there any non-magical ways to push opponents around in 3.5?

I'm looking for things like Awesome Blow feat. (and I wish the Awesome Blow had no size requirements)

Crake
2016-11-25, 12:24 AM

I'm looking for things like Awesome Blow feat. (and I wish the Awesome Blow had no size requirements)

You mean like a bull rush?

Also Knockback, which lets you bullrush someone when you power attack, but it also requires large or larger (though creatures with powerful build qualify too)

flappeercraft
2016-11-25, 12:27 AM

Bullrush in general with feats to improve it is the only way I can remember other than Awesome blow without magic

Aetis
2016-11-25, 12:34 AM
Powerful build + Knockback is I think what I'm looking for.

I want enemies to go flying left and right when my character hits them.

Crake
2016-11-25, 12:45 AM
Powerful build + Knockback is I think what I'm looking for.

I want enemies to go flying left and right when my character hits them.

Combine knockback with knockdown and improved trip for good fun times :smalltongue: Also, if your DM allows, add in cleave and greatcleave, and find some way to get reach, and just do wild arced blows sending people flying backward and landing prone :smallbiggrin:

Jack_Simth
2016-11-25, 01:05 AM
Combine knockback with knockdown and improved trip for good fun times :smalltongue: Also, if your DM allows, add in cleave and greatcleave, and find some way to get reach, and just do wild arced blows sending people flying backward and landing prone :smallbiggrin:

Hmm.

If you knock someone down due to a trip attempt via the knock-down feat (Deities and Demigods, Sword and Fist), do you meet the requirement of "deal a creature enough damage to make it drop" in (Great) Cleave? That makes for an interesting picture if so - a Spiked Chain Goliath Charges into a mess of enemies and sends all of them flying (hit with power attack, triggering both knock back and knock down; if the target gets knocked down, it triggers [Great] Cleave, and so the Goliath makes a cleave attempt against another target in range, doing the same). The goliath charges a mob (targeting a back rank as the charge target because reach), and the mob pretty much explodes (assuming a formation where the people take up a five-foot square each, a spiked chain weilding Goliath might be able to trigger this combo on ten-ish opponents before size-changing buffs kick it up a notch).

Crake
2016-11-25, 01:10 AM
Hmm.

If you knock someone down due to a trip attempt via the knock-down feat (Deities and Demigods, Sword and Fist), do you meet the requirement of "deal a creature enough damage to make it drop" in (Great) Cleave? That makes for an interesting picture if so - a Spiked Chain Goliath Charges into a mess of enemies and sends all of them flying (hit with power attack, triggering both knock back and knock down; if the target gets knocked down, it triggers [Great] Cleave, and so the Goliath makes a cleave attempt against another target in range, doing the same). The goliath charges a mob (targeting a back rank as the charge target because reach), and the mob pretty much explodes (assuming a formation where the people take up a five-foot square each, a spiked chain weilding Goliath might be able to trigger this combo on ten-ish opponents before size-changing buffs kick it up a notch).

I was just imagining sauron swinging his mace and sending like 5+ people just flying :smalltongue:

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11114/111145279/3620910-sauron+awesome

BaronDoctor
2016-11-25, 01:16 AM
Don't forget Bloodstorm Blade shenanigans so that you can also throw your axe and have it knock people around and then bounce back to you.

Jack_Simth
2016-11-25, 02:49 AM
Don't forget Bloodstorm Blade shenanigans so that you can also throw your axe and have it knock people around and then bounce back to you.

Hmm... yes, four levels for both Thunderous Throw and Lightning Ricochet... you could clean out a BIG area that way, if the free trip from Knockdown can trigger (Great) Cleave.

ShurikVch
2016-11-25, 11:27 AM
How about the Large and in Charge feat (Draconomicon)?

Savage Species have Blowhard and Wingstorm feats

Fangshields Barbarian (ACF in Champions of Valor) 5th level - Awesome Charge: like Awesome Blow, but at charge, and ignore prerequisites

Rout feat in Dragon #304 allow to make bull rush via weapon throw - as long as the weapon weighs at least 2 lbs.

If you OK with supernatural, but not magical stuff:
Vigilant Eye of Helm (Paladin ACF from the same Champions of Valor): 4th level - Awesome Smite: you may replace effect of Smite Evil with Awesome Blow, and ignore prerequisites
Force Golem (Monster Manual V) have Pulse special attack

Agent 451
2016-11-25, 05:17 PM

Does the Goliath's Powerful Build trait allow you to take the feat without being large?

Jack_Simth
2016-11-25, 05:35 PM
Does the Goliath's Powerful Build trait allow you to take the feat without being large?

In general, no; the ability description doesn't specify anything about being a different size for purposes of requirements, so you're still Medium for that purpose. However, there are a few specifically called-out exceptions in various feat descriptions, such as Fling Ally, Fling Enemy, Rock Hurling, and others (including Knockback, mentioned already in this thread).

One could make the argument that the intent is there, as pretty much every feat in Races of Stone that requires Large size mentions that Goliaths qualify by virtue of their Powerful Build trait, but it doesn't seem to be RAW except for the feats that specifically call it out that way.

Darrin
2016-11-26, 06:18 AM
There's also the Pushback feat in the Miniatures Handbook, sort of a "Knockback Lite" but it only works once per round.