PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Teammates

Ethernil
2016-11-25, 01:22 AM
How can a rogue cope with the -20 to move silently tin men fighter and cleric in the group when they simply won't let him go ahead and scout before they notify the entire dungeon complex?

Inevitability
2016-11-25, 01:24 AM
Get a Wand of Silence and UMD it? It's useful to you, too, and you may even be able to convince the other players to chip in.

Ethernil
2016-11-25, 01:34 AM
We are level 4 atm, that would be a very expensive purchase. I play a whisper gnome so I can use my racial once per day to cast silence. It's the group that are impatient when I m scouting, I tried talk to them and they just joked about it. They are longtime friends of mine. And I am already rogue 3 swashbuckler 1, too late to go into unseen seer for spell support. My goal is to go rogue 3, swashbuckler 3, blade bravo 10. Then I don't know what to top it off with, maybe more swashbuckler and daring outlaw.

Inevitability
2016-11-25, 01:45 AM
People being impatient when someone scouts are so for a valid reason, and I suggest respecting this wish.

If a fully-charged wand of Silence is too expensive, maybe have one partially charged? One with 10 charges left would cost only 900 GP: easily affordable by now and enough to last for an adventure or two.

Tiri
2016-11-25, 01:48 AM
We are level 4 atm, that would be a very expensive purchase. I play a whisper gnome so I can use my racial once per day to cast silence. It's the group that are impatient when I m scouting, I tried talk to them and they just joked about it. They are longtime friends of mine. And I am already rogue 3 swashbuckler 1, too late to go into unseen seer for spell support. My goal is to go rogue 3, swashbuckler 3, blade bravo 10. Then I don't know what to top it off with, maybe more swashbuckler and daring outlaw.

4th level is hardly too late to get some spells on your character. You'll never get 9ths, or maybe even 8ths, but your character can still benefit greatly from versatile and powerful spells.

Cerefel
2016-11-25, 01:57 AM
You could also talk to your DM about retraining if 9th level spells are that important to you

Ethernil
2016-11-25, 10:24 AM
Actually i would like to have no spellcasting on this character. UMD i like, as well as flasks and other consumables.

Cenric
2016-11-25, 11:41 AM
You could embrace their lack of subtlety, let them draw in all the mooks and patrols while you stay unnoticed and look for high priority targets.

Nothing really messes with enemy spellcasters like thinking they see the whole party and then finding a stray dagger in their back. Or maybe you drop the guy who runs off to get reinforcements.

All of this is kind of DM dependant, it takes a bit of planning and multitasking ability to keep it all straight

Ethernil
2016-11-25, 12:09 PM
You could embrace their lack of subtlety, let them draw in all the mooks and patrols while you stay unnoticed and look for high priority targets.

Nothing really messes with enemy spellcasters like thinking they see the whole party and then finding a stray dagger in their back. Or maybe you drop the guy who runs off to get reinforcements.

All of this is kind of DM dependant, it takes a bit of planning and multitasking ability to keep it all straight

Actually i tend to hide in the corner shadows and get 1-2 free sneak attack thrown daggers, depending on surprise/initiative, my hide is still low to reliably use the snipe maneuver. I considered trying to get the dark creature template past the dm, i think he wouldn't allow it and for sure he doesn't allow LA buyoff.

Stealth Marmot
2016-11-25, 12:23 PM
Nothing says "I'm leaving you behind" like a 10 foot base move speed advantage on the heavy armor wearing piles of noise.

And if that doesn't work, inform them that they are being left behind because of their Achilles tendon. Either from their efforts to preserve it by waiting for the actual sneakthief to scout like he's supposed to, or by its sudden lack of function.

Jack_Simth
2016-11-25, 03:06 PM
How can a rogue cope with the -20 to move silently tin men fighter and cleric in the group when they simply won't let him go ahead and scout before they notify the entire dungeon complex?(Emphasis added)
We are level 4 atm
Silence (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/silence.htm) is a 2nd level Cleric spell. If the Cleric wants to come with you on stealth missions, the Cleric can (as can everyone else - the spell has a radius). The Cleric just needs to make sure to prepare correctly for it, and use it intelligently (cast it on a throwing dagger, which YOU then carry - need to get rid of it in a hurry so the primary casters can do their thing? Throw it at the enemy spellcaster - you can retrieve it later).