PDA

View Full Version : Tavern Tables

Psikerlord
2016-11-25, 06:43 AM
I've put together some Random Tables for Taverns in a Low Magic World.

I'd post them here directly, but they're too long, so here's the link instead: Link (https://lowfantasygaming.com/2016/11/25/tavern-tables/)

Any feedback greatly appreciated. I want to try and make these tables as GM friendly as possible.

Cheers.

Stealth Marmot
2016-11-25, 08:03 AM
I did a quick look through the lists.

The details are wonderful, I love some of the personalities you picked for the taverns and patrons. That said, the tables appear to not be very setting neutral.

Midlanders, Nydissians and Varnori don't exist in my game and I suspect, not in anyone else's but yours. Because of that these tables probably work great for you, but those terms will be meaningless to everyone else, if not confusing.

I like the premade taverns list. If you wanted to expand it you could even make a separate list where you can create your own tavern, with tables to create a name, traits, and layout of a tavern (not a full layout, just like "2 stories made of stone" or "1 story made of wood with a cellar").

I was considering telling you to take the owners off of the list and make it a separate roll, but then I realized that the descriptions of the bar are tied to the owners as they reflect their personas.

Reading the Yellow Lotus owner who curses in the Eastern tongue...someone watched Firefly.

I love the menu list. I am especially impressed with all of the drink ideas. This is something that will add some quick flavor, and give players a reason to have their character actually eat a meal instead of just assuming they ate.

Overall, good list, lovely details, it just needs to be made setting neutral for it to be a fine tool for any DM, and has the possibility of expansion.

Jay R
2016-11-25, 02:56 PM
I like the descriptions of the taverns. I wouldn't use it as a table, since I prefer to decide what kind of establishment they find, but it provides a lot of good ideas.

I would find the list of potential patrons is the most useful, I suspect. Most of the ones I've read seem likely and usable.

Psikerlord
2016-11-26, 05:43 PM
I did a quick look through the lists.

The details are wonderful, I love some of the personalities you picked for the taverns and patrons. That said, the tables appear to not be very setting neutral.

Midlanders, Nydissians and Varnori don't exist in my game and I suspect, not in anyone else's but yours. Because of that these tables probably work great for you, but those terms will be meaningless to everyone else, if not confusing.

I like the premade taverns list. If you wanted to expand it you could even make a separate list where you can create your own tavern, with tables to create a name, traits, and layout of a tavern (not a full layout, just like "2 stories made of stone" or "1 story made of wood with a cellar").

I was considering telling you to take the owners off of the list and make it a separate roll, but then I realized that the descriptions of the bar are tied to the owners as they reflect their personas.

Reading the Yellow Lotus owner who curses in the Eastern tongue...someone watched Firefly.

I love the menu list. I am especially impressed with all of the drink ideas. This is something that will add some quick flavor, and give players a reason to have their character actually eat a meal instead of just assuming they ate.

Overall, good list, lovely details, it just needs to be made setting neutral for it to be a fine tool for any DM, and has the possibility of expansion.
Thanks very much Steath Marmot for taking the time to post your comments, I really appreciate it. You're very right about the Nydissisans etc labels - they wont be of use to anyone but me, but I figured folks would substitute their own cultures in there or just ignore that label.

Firefly is my fav sci-fi show of all time btw ;D

Psikerlord
2016-11-26, 05:44 PM
I like the descriptions of the taverns. I wouldn't use it as a table, since I prefer to decide what kind of establishment they find, but it provides a lot of good ideas.

I would find the list of potential patrons is the most useful, I suspect. Most of the ones I've read seem likely and usable.

Excellent thanks Jay R.