PDA

View Full Version : Intelligent items, Aura and Identify

Keral
2016-11-25, 08:05 AM
Hi!

First a bit of background of what happened:

So, a PC in my group found an intelligent item as a loot a few months back. It was a ring and, seeing as the group basically saved the ring (the demiplane the ring was located in was taken over by an evil entity when the party used a faulty ritual to reach it in search for treasure.), it indroduced itself to the first to pick it up, explained some of what he could do and asked for help to find its former master.

Thus identify was never cast on it, I just gave them an OC explanation of its lesser/greater powers and whatnot.

Now, after a few months, the original wielder died and another PC took it. Stuff happened and the ring decided to leave them and try its luck elsewhere. Its plan failed and, now slightly distrustful the second wielder decided against wearing it.

As it happens, he just died and he was the only survivor of the original party. So the others shouldn't know about it at all.
The original wielder rerolled a cleric and claimed he knew his previous character, thus knowing at least of the existance of the ring. As such he wants to take it from his companion corpse.

Now unfortunately the timing checks out and it's possible his two characters met. The thing is that the bit about the ring just came out and it's a bit too convenient for my taste. So I'd like to at least make it difficult for them.

They plan on casting detect magic on all the corpse's possessions and they're convinced that the ring will show up and have a very powerful aura, due to it being intelligent and having "cast true resurrection" as purpose power. But I'm not that convinced.

I tried to search but the only bit I could find about an item's caster level is that it should be listed in the prerequisites. But nowhere does it say that an intelligent item with a purpose power has to have at least the caster level to cast the spell.

I already found a few way to mask its aura and whatnot but what I'd like to know is:

-by RAW must the ring be at least CL17 due to having that purpose power?
-what would they discover should they cast identify on the ring?

Stealth Marmot
2016-11-25, 09:00 AM
Unless the ring specifically has a spell on it like Nondetection, it will detect magic. The CL of the detect magic will be the lowest level of a caster capable of casting the spell that it uses, in this case yes the CL would be at least 17 because True Resurrection is a 17th level spell.

Again, unless it has a guard against it, Identify will reveal all of its capabilities. Unless you houserule a saving throw if the item does not wish to be identified, or a special property of the ring where it can deny having its traits identified or can give false properties. Some cursed items can do this.

Keral
2016-11-26, 08:10 AM
Thanks!

The cursed item bit helped!

John Longarrow
2016-11-26, 11:25 AM
Course just because the ring CAN do something doesn't mean it will have to.. Intelligent and all.