PDA

View Full Version : wildshape-ish gestalt melee build

GM1010011010
2016-11-25, 09:24 AM
Hello playgrounders!

I'm building characters for a one-shot maybe two game of gestalt lvl4. Since not all players are equally skilled/interested in the character building game I'm building for everyone and I got a request for a wildhsaping/natural melee tough guy. I immediately thought about wildshape ranger but I dont have much expertise in building that kind of character.

I'm looking for any kind of inputs, from full build to stubs or even just class suggestion. A menu of prerequisites or precisions:

Its gestalt so two classes, and lvl4, no progression in view
Aiming for tier 3 in terms of power
Does not have to be wildshape ranger, anything that fits that kind of thematic even vaguely should do
melee is definitely a must

Thank you all in advance for your great ideas

Grod_The_Giant
2016-11-25, 10:18 AM
Well, uh... since the Wild Shape Ranger and Druid both don't get shapechanging until level 5, I'd say both of those are out, leaving, uh...

You have the Shapeshift Druid ACF from Player's Handbook 2. That gets you at-will swift-action changes into a generic "predator" form with some Str and NA bonuses and a bite attack.
The Mulhorandi Divine Minion template (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20050209a), if you can put a template on one side of the gestalt, would be just about perfect. You become an Outsider, and you get at-will free-action Wild Shape into certain set shapes. LA +1 for most of the single-form versions (except for Nephthys, oddly enough, which gives you constrictor snake, crocodile and lion; your best bet otherwise is Anhur for lion). LA +2 gives you Horus (hawk and lion), Osirus (brown bear and hawk), or Set (brown bear, crocodile, large giant scorpion, and a few other crappier forms-- no fliers, though). I'd probably go for Horus or Osirus, depending on which combat form your player would prefer.
The Totemist (Magic of Incarnum) is the natural weapon guy. Would you like four claw attacks at level 2? Because he can give you four claw attacks at level 2. I'd pair him with one level of Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian (Complete Champion) for Pounce and a few levels of Scout or Rogue for skills and bonus damage.

GM1010011010
2016-11-25, 10:37 AM
Well, uh... since the Wild Shape Ranger and Druid both don't get shapechanging until level 5, I'd say both of those are out, leaving, uh...

Hmmm... yeah thats exactly what I meant, I just confused that ACF with wild shape ranger for some reason.

Anyway thanks those are some great suggestions. Using templates on a side of gestalt would simply eat some levels based on the LA? e.g. having the mulhorandi divine minion osiris version at LA+2 would mean for example Totemist4 || Mulhorandi Divine minion (LA2) Scout 2?

Also I figure this is in a FR book but could you point me in which one?

Again thanks for the input!

Grod_The_Giant
2016-11-25, 10:42 AM
That's it precisely. The Divine Minion is from a web enhancement; I linked to in my previous post. I don't know if I'd combine it with Totemist, though. Not because of power (you'd be hella strong, actually) but because of simple complexity.

GM1010011010
2016-11-25, 10:50 AM
That makes sense. Then I guess it could combine really well with some class from ToB, probably swordsage for tiger claw maneuvers that would synergise the best with wildshape. Something like Swordsage4 || Mulhorandi minion 2 + Scout 2 would make a decent melee guy.

What are the best feats to make use of natural attacks, considering no flaws are allowed so at most 3 feats if human?

Tiri
2016-11-25, 11:10 AM
Well, make sure to take Multiattack. The penalty reduction it provides helps especially at lower levels.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-11-25, 01:17 PM
I'd probably say Warblade instead, for the better chassis, but yeah, should be fun.

Nifft
2016-11-25, 10:21 PM
The other way to go for low-level Wild Shape is the Totem Druid in Dragon #335.

You get 1/day wild shape at level 1, free Natural Spell at level 2, and it increases from there.

HOWEVER: you only have one form into which you can Wild Shape. (The best one IMHO is tiger, because tigers are objectively the best animals.)

I'd go Tiger Totem Druid 4 on one side, and either Totemist 4 or Swordsage 4 on the other side.

Gruftzwerg
2016-11-26, 03:31 AM
I would suggest a different approach.

monk 4 // sorcerer 4

Spells:
1st) Mage Armor, Enlarge Person
2nd) Alter Self (at lvl5: Mirror Image)

Alter Self into a Lizard-folk/Troglodyte for Natural Armor and Claw Attacks.
Monk 4 gives 1d8 unarmed damage.
Take "Beast Strike"(feat) to add claw dmg to unarmed strikes. + Flurry = Profit

note: can be played as wizard too, but imho a sorcerer fits better for the fluff.

Godskook
2016-11-26, 03:50 AM
How "wildshape-ish" do you need to be?

A 'bad' option could be:

Barbarian 1/Totemist 2/Scout 1//Warblade 4

Grab Spirit Lion Barbarian, Girralon Arms, and a race with non-claw attacks, like Warforged.

With that, you get a consistent d12 HD, strong Fort/Ref saves, and an immediate-action Concentration check on will saves.

You also get someone who's *VERY* melee-y and *VERY* animal-y. Just....more of a Vixen than a Beastboy in terms of how it channels the animal-y stuff.