PDA

View Full Version : +1 Chair?

Tainted_Scholar
2016-11-25, 01:49 PM
Can you apply a +1 enhancement bonus to a chair or other mundane object? If so, what exactly would the result be?

legomaster00156
2016-11-25, 01:53 PM
I would treat it as a weapon enchantment. It still is only really useful for those who can use an improvised weapon without penalty.

Long_shanks
2016-11-25, 01:56 PM
I don't know if you officially can, but we've done it before in our games. As long as the item is masterwork, I don't see the problem with it.
I remember a hill giant NPC in a game I played who was wielding a +3 boat mast... Good times (and don't ask).

Stealth Marmot
2016-11-25, 02:02 PM
To be technical, the only way this would work is if you categorized and used the chair as a weapon or a piece of armor.

This means that you would need exotic weapon proficiency (Chair) and giving it a +1 bonus to attacks using the chair and +1 to damage done with the chair. Cost increase: 2000 GP.

So far as I know the only people to ever have this weapon proficiency is Jackie Chan and certain WWE wrestlers.

The other possibility is a person wearing a chair as armor. An Armorchair if you will. If that's the case then you have to decide what the AC of wearing a chair and the penalties and maximum dex bonus, and whether it is light, medium, or heavy armor. Then adding a +1 bonus would increase the AC given by the armor by 1. Cost increase: 1000 gp

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-11-25, 02:04 PM
The only furniture commonly crafted with enhancement bonuses are armoires.

The armoire of invulnerability in particular is infamous for its epicness.

Stealth Marmot
2016-11-25, 02:06 PM
The only furniture commonly crafted with enhancement bonuses are armoires.

The armoire of invulnerability in particular is infamous for its epicness.

A perfect place to store your swordchucks.

PacMan2247
2016-11-25, 02:07 PM
First thing that popped into my head was old-style lion tamers in a circus; I think you could argue that a chair could be used as a shield as well. Unless it suits the style of your game or you have a fairly permissive DM, I think you'd probably see penalties for improvised use no matter which way you went with it.

Edit: Just thought of the scene from Kung Fu Panda where Po straps fireworks to a chair to blast himself into the temple. Could also be fun to enchant a chair like a carpet of flying or something similar, and get your Professor X on.

Professor Chimp
2016-11-25, 02:11 PM
Pretty much any portable object can be used as an improvised weapon and I see no reason why you couldn't slap an enhancement bonus on it.

Of course, unless your character doesn't take any penalties from using improvised weapons, you're going to take a -4 on attack rolls for not being proficient (i.e. -3 after adding the +1 from the weapon enhancement). Not quite sure what damage it would do, but assuming it is more or less equivalent to a club, then that would give you -3 on attack rolls and 1d6+1 damage before bonuses from ability scores, feats and whatnot.

Stealth Marmot
2016-11-25, 02:13 PM
First thing that popped into my head was old-style lion tamers in a circus; I think you could argue that a chair could be used as a shield as well. Unless it suits the style of your game or you have a fairly permissive DM, I think you'd probably see penalties for improvised use no matter which way you went with it.

Edit: Just thought of the scene from Kung Fu Panda where Po straps fireworks to a chair to blast himself into the temple. Could also be fun to enchant a chair like a carpet of flying or something similar, and get your Professor X on.

Just remember, you can put a different enchantment on every leg of the chair.

Now I want to make an evil circus ringleader with a chair weapon that has 4 different effects based on each leg of the chair that he pokes with.

Bucky
2016-11-25, 02:19 PM
The chair might instead be an enchanted tool that gives a +1 skill bonus to a certain skill when using it.

DrMotives
2016-11-25, 02:20 PM
An animated chair is an acceptable choice for an Urban Druid's Urban Companion. If you decide that constructs can be enchanted like objects, you could enchant the chair's slam attack with a +1 bonus. The point of an enchanted chair, whether it's an animated companion or not, is to make terrible puns with energy enhancements. A +1 flaming chair is the hot seat. There's also sparky, the electric (shocking burst) chair. This is why I'd never make a chair with the caustic or unholy weapon enchantments, I can't think of a terrible pun for those.

Stealth Marmot
2016-11-25, 02:55 PM
An animated chair is an acceptable choice for an Urban Druid's Urban Companion. If you decide that constructs can be enchanted like objects, you could enchant the chair's slam attack with a +1 bonus. The point of an enchanted chair, whether it's an animated companion or not, is to make terrible puns with energy enhancements. A +1 flaming chair is the hot seat. There's also sparky, the electric (shocking burst) chair. This is why I'd never make a chair with the caustic or unholy weapon enchantments, I can't think of a terrible pun for those.

The +1 Throwing Chair is the Thrown Throne.

PacMan2247
2016-11-25, 03:25 PM

An unholy chair? Would that be Seatan? Maybe Ottomammon? Could also go with Sparkalounger for the shocking one. I'm pretty sure the thundering enhancement would just make it a Whoopee Cushion.

KillingAScarab
2016-11-25, 03:59 PM
Personally, I would say yes, because without being able to apply enhancements, how can you ever have a Comfy Chair?

An animated chair is an acceptable choice for an Urban Druid's Urban Companion."A flash of lightning tore through the tumult, illuminating the grizzled Elemenstor and his ambulatory dresser. (https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/11/07/elothtes-prologue)"

The point of an enchanted chair, whether it's an animated companion or not, is to make terrible puns...

An unholy chair? Would that be Seatan? Maybe Ottomammon?The Tick animated series had an episode where Die Fladermaus was falling in love with a woman who animated furniture: the empress of the Ottoman Empire.

Jack_Simth
2016-11-25, 04:41 PM
Can you apply a +1 enhancement bonus to a chair or other mundane object? If so, what exactly would the result be?
Yes. Improvised weapon rules (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#improvisedWeapons) (such as they are) mean that pretty much anything you can pick up, you can slap (Greater) Magic weapon on. Mind you: Improvised weapon rules usually mean that you're soaking a -4 to attack with it... and (Greater) Magic Weapon only helps when you're using it to hit something.

Likewise, because anything can be a weapon, if you're working towards that end when crafting it, anything can be made as a masterwork weapon (at the cost of another 100 gp in materials and a few DC 20 Craft checks). With a Masterwork weapon, you can enchant it as a weapon. So you could, for instance, have a +1 Ghost Touch mug. Used as a weapon, you'd be dealing with -4 to attack rolls (unless you're a drunken master or something), but get +1 to attack and damage (so net -3), and it would hit incorporeal creatures without further penalty. Of more use, however, is that it could be picked up and used by incorporeal creatures without penalty - just the thing you need when entertaining ghosts. Beyond that, it has no real effect (although as fully30% of magic weapons glow, I suppose it could light your way, too).

Tainted_Scholar
2016-11-25, 04:44 PM
Likewise, because anything can be a weapon, if you're working towards that end when crafting it, anything can be made as a masterwork weapon (at the cost of another 100 gp in materials and a few DC 20 Craft checks). With a Masterwork weapon, you can enchant it as a weapon. So you could, for instance, have a +1 Ghost Touch mug. Used as a weapon, you'd be dealing with -4 to attack rolls (unless you're a drunken master or something), but get +1 to attack and damage (so net -3), and it would hit incorporeal creatures without further penalty. Of more use, however, is that it could be picked up and used by incorporeal creatures without penalty - just the thing you need when entertaining ghosts. Beyond that, it has no real effect (although as fully30% of magic weapons glow, I suppose it could light your way, too).

So I could make a castle out of Ghost Touch bricks in order to keep incorporeal creatures out of my stronghold.:smallsmile:

Jack_Simth
2016-11-25, 04:54 PM
So I could make a castle out of Ghost Touch bricks in order to keep incorporeal creatures out of my stronghold.:smallsmile:It'd be crazy-expensive to do it that way; cheaper to pick up the Stronghold Builder's Guide and use wall augmentations.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-11-25, 05:13 PM
It'd be crazy-expensive to do it that way; cheaper to pick up the Stronghold Builder's Guide and use wall augmentations.Or you could use a fiend of possession to animate the castle, since incorporeal types can't move through a space occupied by a solid animated body (in this case, an already possessed building). Or you could use the ghost touch general item enhancement in Savage Species for +10% cost. Or you could use ghostwall shellac. Or you could build it with a thin layer of jade (or jade powder) in the construction. Or you could do the same with livewood. Or add a layer of riverine. Or you could PAO any of those three materials from less expensive ones and then add them in for super cheap (yes, including the riverine). Or you could rebuke undead on an undead creature and cast haunt shift on it to turn your castle into a haunt (which incorporeal undead can't pass through the solid surfaces of). Or you could give a friend/hireling/psicrystal/familiar/etc a psychoactive skin of proteus for a mere 84,000 gp and have it turn into a castle, since there's no size or limit on doing so. That's a LOT cheaper than going by SBG pricing.

I'm sure I could figure out some additional ways of keeping incorporeals out of your walls for much cheaper than specifically building an uber-expensive SBG building. Most of the pricing in that book is for muggles, with all the money going right to the spellcasters, who basically can do it all for free.

Jowgen
2016-11-25, 05:20 PM
I think this works, provided the chair was crafted as a masterwork weapon, meaning the proper pricetag and DC was applied in its creation. With that, the chair is really just a weapon that happens to be in the shape of a chair. A really weird club. Improvised weapon penalty would get replaced with non-proficiency.

Jack_Simth
2016-11-25, 05:54 PM
Or you could use a fiend of possession to animate the castle, since incorporeal types can't move through a space occupied by a solid animated body (in this case, an already possessed building). Or you could use the ghost touch general item enhancement in Savage Species for +10% cost. Or you could use ghostwall shellac. Or you could build it with a thin layer of jade (or jade powder) in the construction. Or you could do the same with livewood. Or add a layer of riverine. Or you could PAO any of those three materials from less expensive ones and then add them in for super cheap (yes, including the riverine). Or you could rebuke undead on an undead creature and cast haunt shift on it to turn your castle into a haunt (which incorporeal undead can't pass through the solid surfaces of). Or you could give a friend/hireling/psicrystal/familiar/etc a psychoactive skin of proteus for a mere 84,000 gp and have it turn into a castle, since there's no size or limit on doing so. That's a LOT cheaper than going by SBG pricing.

I'm sure I could figure out some additional ways of keeping incorporeals out of your walls for much cheaper than specifically building an uber-expensive SBG building. Most of the pricing in that book is for muggles, with all the money going right to the spellcasters, who basically can do it all for free.
There are varying degrees of optimization. The wall augmentation in the Stronghold Builder's Guide is specifically intended for doing exactly that (as is Ghostwall Shellac, but it only lasts 14 hours on average - 4d6 hours is how it's listed). Most of the others you list ... not so much. Yes, the rules are there and support the interpretation (other than the Polymorph Any Object (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorphAnyObject.htm) approach - the spell in question explicitly says "This spell cannot create material of great intrinsic value, such as copper, silver, gems, silk, gold, platinum, mithral, or adamantine." - and Jade is a gem, Riverine is quite expensive as a material, and I'd need to look up Livewood to comment on it but the same probably applies), but it's not really the intended use. How acceptable that is will vary a lot from table to table. On the other hand, at pretty much any table where you're going to be building your own stronghold, there's unlikely to be much objection to grabbing things out of the Stronghold Builder's Guide. When a method that's specifically intended for doing a particular job (SBG's methods for blocking ethereal and incorporeal intrusion) is better than a workaround in discussion (making the bricks +1 Ghost Touch weapons), I'm usually going to call that out if I'm aware of it. When it comes to things that I know will only be acceptable at some gaming tables, I'm usually only going to call that out if I can't think of a more widely acceptable method.

Endarire
2016-11-25, 06:17 PM
Could we, y'know, make a +1 Ghost Touch Castle so nothing incorporeal could enter or leave? I mean treating the entire castle as one enchantable improvised weapon.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-11-25, 06:29 PM
Could we, y'know, make a +1 Ghost Touch Castle so nothing incorporeal could enter or leave? I mean treating the entire castle as one enchantable improvised weapon.Start with a Fine sized +1 metalline arrow for cheap. Use the rules in the MIC for adding additional weapon properties, and enhance it as a psychoactive skin of proteus. Use animate dead to create a skeleton and command/control undead or rebuke undead to control it. Haunt shift it into the arrow, and command it to turn itself into a castle using the psychoactive skin. Given that it's now basically a creature itself, the resulting building should be impenetrable to incorporeal creatures (barring open windows and doors, anyway). Further, it's an animated object, and it's under your control. It can move its furnishings for you on your whim, it's 100% portable, it can turn into adamantine via metalline, and you can use it as a fighting minion, a mobile weapons platform, or a multipurpose tool, as you like. If your DM thinks it absolutely must be ghost touch (rather than just being an animated creature), add the ghost touch property to the arrow for virtually nothing.

lylsyly
2016-11-26, 11:16 AM
I like this concept, except ... I would enchant the chair as a shield and then ... put a wand chamber in each leg!