PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Trying to maximize a trip build with my Knight cohort

mikeanite12
2016-11-25, 05:10 PM
I'm building a tanky trip build that needs to have 3 levels of Knight minimum and she is taking the Dragonhusk ACF and is counted as having the dragonblood subtype as part of her background. Both of these are required. Additionally my DM is waving the need for combat expertise.

The build idea currently:
Human lvl 5: Swordsage 1 Knight 3 cleric 1

Feats:
Flaw (Shaky): Jotunbrud
Flaw (Inattentive) : Power Attack
1: Combat Reflexes
1(Human): Improved Trip
3: EWP(Spiked chain)

Key abilities:
Sword sage stance: Step of the wind
Sword sage maneuver: Mighty Throw
Knight lvl 3: Bulwark of defense
Cleric: Travel devotion, Magic domain(For wands)

Ability scores (Randomly rolled):
Str: 18
Dex: 14
Con: 16
Int: 10
Wis: 10
Cha: 18

Future Plans: 1 level dip in marshal for CHA bonus to all strength checks.
X levels of Hellreaver
Maybe a couple levels of fighter for the bonus feats.

Equipment:
Animated +1 steel shield
Living chain
Wand of enlarge person
Wand of cure light
Possible rod of bodily restoration (For hellreaver)

What is needed:
I'm looking for advice to further improve this build, the character has to be L/G for RP purposes. I'm not looking to spend much more money on this character as she is a cohort and I have my main character to worry about. Also any issues with what I've currently put together being brought to light would be appreciated.

Edit:
3.X exclusive (No templates allowed)

Darrin
2016-11-26, 06:16 AM
1: Combat Reflexes
1(Human): Improved Trip

Prereq for Improved Trip is Combat Expertise, not Combat Reflexes. Unfortunately, with an Int of 10, you can't take Combat Expertise, as it requires Int 13.

You can get Improved Trip via Wolf Totem Barbarian 2, though, which is what I'd suggest taking instead of Knight. As far as bulwark of defense goes... Crusader + reach weapon + Thicket of Blades is usually the go-to for Lockdown builds.

Wis: 10

Cleric with a Wisdom of 10 cannot cast spells. I guess spell-trigger items still work, but it still feels like a waste of a level.

mikeanite12
2016-11-26, 01:19 PM
Prereq for Improved Trip is Combat Expertise

As I said, my DM is waving the improved trip prereq. (I'm not saying it's balanced, just what I have to work with haha)

You can get Improved Trip via Wolf Totem Barbarian 2, though, which is what I'd suggest taking instead of Knight. As far as bulwark of defense goes... Crusader + reach weapon + Thicket of Blades is usually the go-to for Lockdown builds.

Unfortunately, I have to take 3 levels of knight, which excludes me from any chaotic aligned class and since I have to take knight, I thought crusader would be sort of a waste. So I was going to go more of a mobile build (with travel devotion and step of the wind, which also improves trip attempts in conjunction with bulwark) My DM is very wary about ToB, so taking a single level from sword sage is almost too much.

Cleric with a Wisdom of 10 cannot cast spells. I guess spell-trigger items still work, but it still feels like a waste of a level.

I don't get umd as a class skill so I thought magic domain cleric was the only way to be able to use most spell-trigger items (should have said this, but we have a magic crafter in the group who'll be making wands). If there's a better way I'm totally down. Like a charisma based divine caster that gets domains.

Additionally, any ideas for a good prestige class for this build? (planning on going L/G) I was thinking an exotic weapons master dip would be ok. Also hellreaver looks nice with all the swift actions. Maybe even a one level dip into marshal for the cha to trip (since I need one more 3/4 BAB class to get to +5 anyway)

Troacctid
2016-11-26, 01:31 PM
Crusader isn't a waste, it's one of the best multiclasses for a knight. Maybe the #1 best, even.

mikeanite12
2016-11-26, 02:13 PM
Crusader isn't a waste, it's one of the best multiclasses for a knight. Maybe the #1 best, even.

Ok, Crusader has always intrigued me, however I'm not super familiar with ToB, around what level would I gain the most advantage taking a dip of crusader. (Assuming I'm going to be giving up both mighty throw and step of the wind since I'm pretty sure my DM is at most going to let me take a single level from ToB)

Troacctid
2016-11-26, 02:47 PM
If you can only take a single level, I would take it either at level 5 or level 9. So Whatever 4/Crusader 1, or Whatever 8/Crusader 1. The former gets you 2nd level maneuvers, the latter gets you 3rd level maneuvers.

Hellreaver is a fine prestige class, BTW.

Darrin
2016-11-26, 05:37 PM
If you can only take a single level, I would take it either at level 5 or level 9. So Whatever 4/Crusader 1, or Whatever 8/Crusader 1. The former gets you 2nd level maneuvers, the latter gets you 3rd level maneuvers.

If you want Thicket of Blades, you'll want to take Something 4/Crusader 2, so you have a high enough Initiator Level to pick up a 3rd level stance. If your DM is willing to waive the "must pick a 1st-level stance" thing, you could get by with Something 4/Crusader 1.

Troacctid
2016-11-26, 05:43 PM
Sure, but if the second level is off the table, it's a moot point. You'd have to either take Martial Stance, get a Devoted Spirit Amulet, or just stick to Iron Guard's Glare.

mikeanite12
2016-11-26, 08:07 PM
Thanks guys, I'll bring up these points to my DM and see if we can work something out

Togo
2016-11-26, 08:49 PM
Marshal (Minature's Hanbook) allows you to add your charisma bonus to your Strength checks (Trip is an opposed Strength check) or to your Trip, Overrun and disarm checks.

Increasing size is always useful, since it gives +4 per size level, and increases your reach.

If you're only taking a single level of cleric, and not planning on doing much with it, try for the competition domain, which gives you +1 to opposed checks, like Trip.

And finally, the armbands of might in the Magic Item Compendium are quite cheap, take up a little used slot, and are mainly used for helping with power attack, but they also give +2 to strength checks, and Trip is a strength check.

In general, items are easiest way to go, since many give competance bonuses to strength checks, and competance bonues from different sources stack.

Troacctid
2016-11-26, 08:50 PM
In general, items are easiest way to go, since many give competance bonuses to strength checks, and competance bonues from different sources stack.
You're probably thinking of circumstance bonuses. Competence bonuses don't stack.