PDA

View Full Version : DM Help How to give Nymph's Kiss to a Warforged

The_Iron_Lord
2016-11-25, 05:55 PM
Hello, Playgrounders!

I am currently DMing my first campaign, and one of my players is a LG Warforged Knight/Crusader. He has already planned out his entire build 1-20, and he needs the Nymph's Kiss feat. Help me figure out how I'm supposed to have the CG embodiment of natural beauty fall in love with the LG combat robot! Also, please put all answers in spoiler tags, so that the player, who is on these forums, doesn't know what surprises are in store.

Thank you!

PacMan2247
2016-11-25, 06:22 PM
Lawful good and chaotic good sharing love is a lot easier than opposition on the good/evil axis. A creature with a respect for and dedication to order could easily love a free spirit, just as a flighty creature that doesn't want to be penned in could appreciate the reliability and solidity of even a robo-lawyer, if that's where your player takes it. Definitely doesn't have to be a conflict; variety and shoring up one another's weaknesses makes for a great relationship.

Thurbane
2016-11-25, 06:40 PM
Note that the feat says " a good-aligned fey (such as a nymph or dryad)" - so if you're concerned about alignment conflict, use an LG fey instead.

Also note both the Dryad and NYmph monster entries say "usually" Chaotic Good.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-11-25, 07:32 PM
Note that "intimate relationship" isn't necessarily based on romantic love and lust. Ever had a fantastic, understanding friend that you could talk about anything with, no matter how personal or embarrassing, and not feel awkward about it? That's quite an intimate friendship, even with no so-called "benefits" involved. Perhaps the LG warforged needs someone with a different outlook on life to give him perspective, and he uses that to better himself.

Forrestfire
2016-11-25, 07:41 PM
The core of a warforged is actually made of livewood—they're closer to armor-plated artificial treants than robots, really. It's entirely possible that a fey could bond with one over that, or even that a dryad literally lives inside one. After all, the ECS notes that livewood dryads can remain inside objects their trees got turned into :smalltongue:

Aetis
2016-11-25, 07:55 PM
I don't think it's too implausible.

http://i.imgur.com/5DqeTNQ.png

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-11-25, 07:58 PM
I don't think it's too implausible.

http://i.imgur.com/5DqeTNQ.png"Go, unreasonably buff bird!"

ExLibrisMortis
2016-11-25, 07:59 PM
1) Cast polymorph, turn into fey.
2) Kiss warforged.
3) ???
4) Profit!

Nymphs do not typically travel far from their bit of nature. If you want your warforged to receive a literal nymph's kiss, put them close to a spectacular natural feature (which will, naturally, have lots of nymphs). It will help if the player RPs some affinity with fey or nature. Then simply threaten the spectacular natural feature with lots of bad creepy things, such as a blighter (evil druid who burns forests to recharge spells), aboleth, property developer etcetera. That should be enough of a hint to get in there and save things, leading naturally into the feat. Depending how long you want to make the quest, you can introduce the blighter/threat quite early, and involve other party members with other parts of the situation (e.g. the natural feature is an extremely deep sinkhole with a portal to the elemental plane of water, and you have a water wu jen).

Of course, this can just as easily have happened in backstory, because the feat is best taken very early.

Pex
2016-11-25, 08:07 PM
Perhaps the secret to how warforged are created is why the Mournland happened. Normally in Eberron spellcasters bind elementals into objects to power stuff like trains. What if warforged are also such things but instead of elementals they are imbued by actual souls? The souls forget who they once were. The Fey in question knows the soul of this warforged but hasn't told him the truth to spare his emotions until such time he is ready for it. As for the Mournland, the soul-trapping process was destroyed by accident or on purpose with catastrophic results.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-11-25, 08:11 PM
Perhaps the secret to how warforged are created is why the Mournland happened. Normally in Eberron spellcasters bind elementals into objects to power stuff like trains. What if warforged are also such things but instead of elementals they are imbued by actual souls? The souls forget who they once were. The Fey in question knows the soul of this warforged but hasn't told him the truth to spare his emotions until such time he is ready for it. As for the Mournland, the soul-trapping process was destroyed by accident or on purpose with catastrophic results.Or maybe the warforged's soul IS a fey (whether a nymph or a satyr or something else), and he's got a split personality.

Heh. Asexual robot with literal satyriasis.

Crake
2016-11-25, 11:01 PM
surprised nobody linked this:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-0uMd1Rzdyz0/Uc4S6aHAiUI/AAAAAAAACcU/8m3TN25rf7A/s750/NymphsKiss.jpg

Remuko
2016-11-26, 12:05 AM
Not as fun as what everyone else is saying but I remember reading up about this feat before and someone pointing out a pretty interesting tidbit. The part about the relationship with a fey is fluff text not rules text, so technically its not required at all.

cagemarrow
2016-11-26, 05:01 AM
You could always just have a friendly Grigg acting as the paladin's conscience. :smallbiggrin:

Or a brownie who's made it his mission to keep the big lug working by repairing him with Craft: Cobbler each night. (I know it's technically not a valid repair skill. :smallsmile:)

Pugwampy
2016-11-26, 08:10 AM
Also, please put all answers in spoiler tags, so that the player, who is on these forums, doesn't know what surprises are in store.

What is to stop said player from clicking on spoiler tags .

The core of a warforged is actually made of livewood—they're closer to armor-plated artificial treants than robots, really.

Wow thats awesome I never knew that . I thought they were intelligent Iron golems or some such .

The_Iron_Lord
2016-11-26, 03:22 PM
What is to stop said player from clicking on spoiler tags .

Well, my player is quite respectful, and I already told him my username and to not click on any spoiler tags posted by said username.

To be honest i cannot really imagine this happening . As Dm i would rule if player really wants to woo a nymph queen for that sweet feat , he has to find a way to transmute into something more pleasing to her . Could make it his personal quest

That's an interesting idea, but...I don't think it's that high of a priority. I might say something like that, though...

ben-zayb
2016-11-26, 06:07 PM
The warforged is pinnochio. Done.

Jeff the Green
2016-11-26, 06:54 PM
I had a pair of characters like this. Atalanteia was a dryad adventurer (her livewood tree had been cut down and she'd fashioned a bow from it). Eventually she met Arren d'Cannith and helped him with the first warforged, since one of the key comonents was livewood. Art was their first, semi-successful test. He was a lousy warrior but an excellent artisan. They eventually ended up working together and after the Last War they started adventuring together.

No sex, just decades of friendship.

Mato
2016-11-27, 12:56 PM
The warforged was mail-ordered, sometimes you need to pay attention to the fine print when ordering from the magical creations [adult edition] catalog.

DarkestKnight
2016-11-28, 12:15 AM
As far as I remember Dryads have some sort of special bond to their tree. If a warforged was made out of said tree, would the Dryad still have some remnant of that bond with the warforged? The Dryad could be confused as to why it feels a connection to the warforged and is trying to discern the nature of emotions that the warforged elicits. The warforged is doing it's best to prove itself worthy of what it has inherited, so maybe by whatever level the player wants to take the feat they have become more like a family (that used to be the dryad's house, but whatever).