PDA

View Full Version : Movies The Last King/Birkebeinerne how was it?

2D8HP
2016-11-25, 06:57 PM
I just saw a trailer for "The Last King", with a quick search I learned that it is a Norwegian film also titled Birkebeinerne.
Have any playgrounders seen it yet?
Is it worth the time?

Palanan
2016-11-26, 09:13 PM
I watched this last weekend and it was excellent, so much so that I watched it two nights in a row.

The cinematography is excellent, the acting is very good and the snowy Norwegian landscapes can't be beat. The music is also lovely, and sometimes quietly haunting.

The story is a dramatization of a famous escape in Norway's history, and there's plenty of action, tension, and some unexpected humor. The movie is also a celebration of medieval Norwegian skiing, since several characters spend a good deal of time on skis, and their prowess at skiing is central to the historical tale. Incidents briefly mentioned in one saga are touched on and expanded into a very involving and generally fast-paced narrative.

This isn't a grand epic with thousands of CGI warriors locked in battle; this is small-scale and personal, showing how just a few men could make a fundamental difference to a nation's history. And it's also a glimpse into a different way that people related to their rulers--one of the most poignant scenes involves how a young ruler is introduced to his people.

If you enjoy snowy action, engaging characters, and dramatized but broadly accurate history, then I'd say this is definitely worth the time.

TrinculoLives
2016-11-27, 09:15 PM
I watched it at home just the other night on Blu-ray.

It was alright. Where the film excelled was in its technical proficiency. It has lovely scenery, well-filmed chase scenes down mountainsides on skis, and good sound and lighting (well, the sound design could have been more atmospheric, but oh well.) The acting was good, and the characters likeable. It was fun to see Tormund Giantsbane in a non-GoT role. I'm not familiar with the historicity of the set and costume design, but apart from the usual "armour-does-nothing" in some of the fight scenes, nothing struck me as anachronistic. The skiiing was a fun touch actually, and helps give the film a unique flavour amongst medieval adventure stories.

Where it falls short was in the screenwriting. The overall pacing of the film worked. I mean, all the pieces were there for a good movie: the hero's introduction, the villains, the increasing struggle, the final outcome and denouement. All of that was present. But the story was just too cliche. Just like with the film, The Wave, this is a Norwegian film that has very high production values and good acting, but that borrows too heavily from predictable Hollywood tropes.

Some of the characters bent to the requirements of the plot in a rather lame way as well. The Bagler commander, of course, reneges on his agreement, villainously. The Bierkbenerne veteran is obviously thick-headed at just the right time for his stupidity to screw everything up. The story lacked subtlety in many places in a way that is seen in almost all historical Hollywood films. One side is evil, and the other side is good. The good guys are brave and honest, and the bad guys curl their lips and despise weakness.

In conclusion, it's a pretty film that has respectable acting and lovely snowy landscapes. However, its story follows the Hollywood pattern too closely, resulting in a predictable tale that just isn't really interesting enough to keep you entertained for its run-time.