PDA

View Full Version : Spirit World

j_spencer93
2016-11-25, 07:12 PM
Having a brain fart. Can remember what it is or where I heard of it, but doesn't karatur (is that spelled right) and shamans interact with a spirit plane/word or something?

DrMotives
2016-11-25, 07:28 PM
I'm not aware of any 3.x Karatur setting materials, outside of an article or two in Dragon Magazine, but OA has a generic Spirit World as the sole other plane. Basically, it's the mechanics of the Plane of Shadow with a mood/theme more like the Great Wheel. Instead of a darker version of reality, it's a more majestic, awe-inspiring version of reality. Some parts of glorious & good, some are dark & evil, but generally they match what the Material Plane analogous area has. I don't believe there's much detail of how it works in there at all.

Ashtagon
2016-11-26, 02:55 AM
Having a brain fart. Can remember what it is or where I heard of it, but doesn't karatur (is that spelled right) and shamans interact with a spirit plane/word or something?

1e Oriental Adventures had Kara-Tur as the default setting. 3e Oriental Adventures had Rokugan (aka. Legend of the Five Rings) as the default setting, but included all the material needed to re-create the Kara-Tur setting. Any material intended for Rokugan was marked as such. Other material in that book was specifically not intended for Rokugan, but with a strong implication that it would be relevant to a Kara-Tur campaign. The shaman class as presented in 3e OA is one such item.

The spirit shaman (Complete Divine iirc) is, I feel, the shaman class done right. It doesn't directly claim to be an updated version, but it does reference rules present in OA; specifically, it some of teh class's mechanics interact with the spirit monster subtype introduced in 3e OA.

The Spirit World as presented in 3e OA is generic, not Rokugan-specific. I'm not sure, but I think it was also described in similar terms in 1e OA.

Dragon #318 contains an article for updating 3.0e OA to 3.5e rules.

The OA shaman class does not refer to the spirit world in its description.

hth

Coidzor
2016-11-26, 05:14 PM
Ghostwalk's material could probably be raided to help in this regard.

thorr-kan
2016-11-27, 11:02 PM
Page 206 of Manual of the Planes details the 3.0 Spirit World. Alas, not included in the 3.0 or 3.5 SRDs.