PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter related Homebrew [spoiler]

Shades of Gray
2007-07-14, 04:15 PM
After watching the new harry potter movie I just couldn't resist. I am still undecided about spell levels.

By Shades Of Gray
Expelliarmus
Evocation [Force]
Level: 1 Sor/Wiz
Components: V,S
Casting Time: 1 Standard action
Range: Medium (100ft. +10ft. per level)
Target: One Creature.
Duration: Instantaneous.
Saving Throw: No
Spell Resistance: Yes

A blast of red energy flies from your wand striking a creature. You must succeed on a ranged touch attack to strike the foe.Any creature struck by the blast suffers 1D2 Nonlethal force damage. The Caster then makes a ranged disarm check with strength equal to intelligence or charisma, and a base attack bonus equal to caster level. If they successfully disarm the creature one item in their hands flies back 5ft. +5ft. per two caster levels.

Stupefy
Evocation [Force]
Level: 2 Sor/Wiz
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 Standard Action.
Range: Short (25t. +5ft. per level)
Targets: One creature
Duration: Instantaneous.
Saving Throw: Yes

A large semi-transparent blast leaps out of your wand blasting foes backwards. Foes targeted by this spell must succeed on a reflex save or be flung backwards 10ft. +5ft. per caster level, and upwards 5ft. +5ft. per caster level. They also take D8 nonlethal force damage +1 per caster level(max. +10)

Accio
Conjuration(Calling)
Level: ? any suggestions?
Components: V, S.
Casting Time: one standard action (maybe a free action)
Range: Long (200ft.+10ft. per caster level)
Target: One inanimate object.
Duration: 1 minute per caster level
Saving Throw: none
Spell resistance:none

You immediately make the target object fly in to you at a fly speed of 40ft. If necessary the object will avoid obstacles. The object will continue to fly to you until it reaches your hands OR the spell duration ends.

Crucio
Necromancy [Evil]
Level: 7 Sor/Wiz. Need Feedback I'm bad with spell levels.
Casting Time: One Standard Action
Range: Short (25ft. +5ft. per level
Target: One Living Creature
Duration: Concentration
Saving Throw: Will Negates

You torture the enemy beyond physical limits. If the foe fails their save then they take d6 negative energy damage. Once every 1 round +1 round/ five caster levels they must succeed on a will save or take D8 damage until the next save. The next save if they fail it becomes D10 damage and so on at a maximum of D12 (the spell doesn,t end however, the victim must keep making will saves until he passes or the caster's concentration ends. Each time the save must be taken again the DC of the will save is reduced by one. If the spells duration exceeds the targets HD then they become permanently Insane. The insanity affect can only be cured by a Restoration, wish, or miracle spell. Finally if within a D3 Months after the victim is cured of his insanity he becomes shaken if he sees the caster. This spell is considered unforgivable and is generally outlawed in all but the most barbaric or cruel lands. In the areas that outlaw this spell the punishment for casting is usually execution.

Items:

Felix Felicis
Felix Felicis is a potion that temporarily provides incredible luck. One entire potion provides luck for one day. The potion can be consumed in parts granting smaller time increments. (ex. 1/2 of the potion provides luck for 12 hours) While "Lucky" the subject gains A +5 dodge bonus to AC, a +5 bonus on all saves, And a plus 5 on all skill checks.

Don't know about brewing costs or materials (need to check the book or those soon)

By The Demented One

Levicorpus
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 2
Components: S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One creature
Saving Throw: Will negates

You cause a creature to unwillingly levitate, flipping head over heels while it does. It levitates upside down, 10 ft. above the ground. It cannot move while suspended in this way. It may attempt to attack, but it takes a -5 penalty on all attack rolls. If it attempts to cast a spell, it must make a DC 20 Concentration check to cast it successfully. Each round, as a full round action, the levitated creature may attempt another Will save. Once it succeeds, or you cease concentrating on maintaining the spell, the creature gently drifts to the ground, taking no damage.

Sectumsempra
Necromancy
Level: Sor/Wiz 5
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial

You open up a bloody gash on your target, as if he had been slashed with a sword. The target takes 1d6 points of slashing damage per level, max 15d6. This slashing damage is subject to damage reduction, overcoming it as a magic weapon. In addition, the target of the spell takes 1d4 points of Constitution damage from blood loss. A successful Fortitude save halves the slashing damage and negates the Constitution damage.

Feel free to provide feedback and/or more spells and items if you like.

I'm also having trouble making rules for "Expecto Patronum" if someone would like to make rules for this I will be much obliged.

mikoto
2007-07-14, 04:22 PM
Personally I'd say Conjuration because it seems more like summoning a creature that does the protecting but of your two I'd say Evocation

SydneyLosstarot
2007-07-14, 04:25 PM
nitpicking:
Expelliarmus should be red blast)

as well as it's spelled StupEfy =) and it was single-target in the book

Draz74
2007-07-14, 05:37 PM
Stupefy would be single-target by default but could be metamagic'd to hit multiple targets. It should also deal nonlethal damage.

Whenever someone in the books is hit by "Expelliarmus" and manages to hold onto whatever they were holding, it's implied that the spell was critically weak or partially blocked, not that the target managed to react quickly enough to hold onto their cargo. So being able to make a Reflex save to negate that bothers me ... but I can't think of a better way of doing this without making the spell broken or inventing a big expansion to the Counterspelling rules.

Oh, and does the first spell still do a pinch of damage if the save is made? If so, it should technically say "Saving Throw: Reflex partial" instead of "Saving Throw: yes."

Cybren
2007-07-14, 05:42 PM
I don't think it's necessary to make a wand the focus for all of them if you're converting from one fictional universes magical rules to another. A focus is usually thematically related to the spell, not the source material the spell is culled from.

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-07-14, 05:46 PM
You can make it an enchantment, mind-compulsion. then have them attempt a will save instead.

and you could make the acio spell like a reverse hurl and send it to your hand, if it's being held it is a str/rflx save of caster lvl+spell lvl or the person still holds on to it.

DracoDei
2007-07-14, 05:46 PM
Sounds like a Disarm check to me really... equivalent to STR 18 or higher and BAB equal to caster level could work.

Cryopyre
2007-07-14, 06:00 PM
I don't think it's necessary to make a wand the focus for all of them if you're converting from one fictional universes magical rules to another. A focus is usually thematically related to the spell, not the source material the spell is culled from.

I agree with Cybren, the wand as a focus is from another spell system, bring these spells into DnD and drop the wands.

The Demented One
2007-07-14, 08:02 PM
Here's a handful to add on to yours...

Levicorpus
Transmutation

You cause a creature to unwillingly levitate, flipping head over heels while it does. It levitates upside down, 10 ft. above the ground. It cannot move while suspended in this way. It may attempt to attack, but it takes a -5 penalty on all attack rolls. If it attempts to cast a spell, it must make a DC 20 Concentration check to cast it successfully. Each round, as a full round action, the levitated creature may attempt another Will save. Once it succeeds, or you cease concentrating on maintaining the spell, the creature gently drifts to the ground, taking no damage.

Sectumsempra
Necromancy
Level: Sor/Wiz 5
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial

You open up a bloody gash on your target, as if he had been slashed with a sword. The target takes 1d6 points of slashing damage per level, max 15d6. This slashing damage is subject to damage reduction, overcoming it as a magic weapon. In addition, the target of the spell takes 1d4 points of Constitution damage from blood loss. A successful Fortitude save halves the slashing damage and negates the Constitution damage.

Draz74
2007-07-14, 10:51 PM
Sounds like a Disarm check to me really... equivalent to STR 18 or higher and BAB equal to caster level could work.

Actually, that's brilliant. Since Disarm checks are fairly easy to do anyway - at least for someone who optimizes them. Heehee, a Sorcerer who actually gets some mileage out of the Improved Disarm feat?

Maybe make the Disarm attempt using Intelligence (or Charisma) mod instead of Strength mod (even something fixed at 18), though, according to the Telekinesis precedent? In fact, the whole spell would be rather similar to the Disarm Combat Maneuver version of Telekinesis.

SMDVogrin
2007-07-15, 02:12 AM
However Imperius is a first level spell, Charm Person.

Actually, it's Dominate Person, not Charm. You're not just giving them a good opinion of you, you're directly controlling their actions.

Behold_the_Void
2007-07-15, 02:31 AM
I wrote a Harry Potter parody awhile back and figured that Avada Kedavra is likely Power Word: Kill since they're all wizards with crappy HD and not a lot of constitution. Of course, even then someone capable of CASTING Avada Kedavra would likely have just enough hp to survive it.

...actually on second thought, maybe not. 5x17=85, still under. Huh. And even 5x20 nets 100, just barely under.

Jibar
2007-07-15, 03:41 AM
Right.
The D&D magic system isn't quite what the Harry Potter spells need.
I have time, I have a love for the books and films, I have no skill!
I'm going to do a real homebrew for them.

SydneyLosstarot
2007-07-15, 03:52 AM
Levicorpus
Transmutation

waitwaitwait.

it was like one of the swiftest spells in the book, taking nothing but a mere thought to cast - so why standart action?

and was the victim gently drifting to the ground instead of just falling? I wouldn't expect the Half-blood Prince to care about the targets of his spells.=)

DracoDei
2007-07-15, 08:41 AM
Crucio = single target symbol of pain (except higher effect?) give it the insanity chance if it is maintained for a certain number of rounds... (Equal to targets HD?)

Zeta Kai
2007-07-15, 09:52 AM
It's Felix Felicis, & I'd say it grants a +5 luck bonus to all skill checks, saving throws & AC for 1 day. But I think it's pretty much only available in potion form.

Amphimir Míriel
2007-07-15, 02:57 PM
To accurately model the Harry Potter spellcasting system you need to separate it completely from D20's system.

I would suggest the following:

Forget the Vancian, cast-and-forget system, instead aim for a spell-point system, or even better, a skill-based spellcasting system with the following quirks;

1.- Even the easiest spells have a DC of at least 20, but using a properly attuned wand gives a +10 bonus to all spellcasting rolls. Using someone else's wand gives you a +5 instead.

2.- Some minor spells require a Spellcraft check alone, however most spells require a secondary skill check or attack roll to complete succesfully. Expelliarmus, for instance, requires a disarm attack; Most Transfiguration spells require a succesfull Craft check; Hexes and other offensive spells may need attack rolls, or Concentration checks to produce the correct frame of mind to cast (Expecto Patronum, Crucio, etc.)

Most spells, of course, can be dispelled with a sucessful opposed check; the attacker can then choose to sustain his attack, requiring the defender and attacker to roll extended opposed rolls. This would successfully model both the Voldemort/Harry and Dumbledore/Voldemort battles. In the first case, the Prior Incantata ghosts of Voldemorts victims provided high enough bonuses for Harry to be able to survive, and in the second case, both
combatants were of similar level.

3.- Brew Potion is no longer a feat, it is now a separate skill for witches and wizards (trained only).

This is all I could come up with now... comments?

Rama_Lei
2007-07-15, 03:06 PM
Accio is spelled like this.

Jibar
2007-07-16, 02:35 AM
This is all I could come up with now... comments?

Well, personally I'd say make it all work like Warlocks. Incantations with wands.
You can keep in spell level by having it as the 7 levels of Hogwarts, though what will happen to 8 and 9 I don't know.
Get rid of Evocation, Necromancy and what not and make it into Transfiguration, Charms, Dark Arts and Defence Against The Dark Arts.
Herbology and Potions can become Craft and Knowledge skills.

At least, that's how I'm doing it with these Hogwarts Student classes.

Kurald Galain
2007-07-16, 02:59 AM
Also, there's Expelliarmus, the movie version which does the same as the version you just wrote up, but also blasts its target backwards 5 feet per caster level.

Oh yeah, Accio must be cast on an object that is either in your sight, or known to you. Otherwise book seven would just consist of Harry casting "Accio Horcrux" a few times.

Shades of Gray
2007-07-16, 07:30 PM
To all of you trying to change D&D into Harry Potter... STOP. This thread was for Harry Potter spells in the game. If you want to go ahead and make Harry Potter D20 then fine. Just don't do it in this thread.

kjones
2007-07-16, 08:21 PM
Sectumsempera seems underpowered for a 5th level spell, even one that does 1d4 Con damage. I would drop it to 4th level, or increase the Con damage. (After all, it's subject to DR and there's a save.)

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-07-16, 08:26 PM
what would be cool is if you made wands nessacary, then you can have the core/wood be like a speacalization for wizards. "Lily's wand was very good at casting charms."

and then if you do do that you can still use spell mastery feat so if you lose/drop your wand then you can still do somthing.

Fishies
2007-07-17, 12:02 AM
It's Felix Felicis, & I'd say it grants a +5 luck bonus to all skill checks, saving throws & AC for 1 day. But I think it's pretty much only available in potion form.

Make a penalty for overdose, it's too powerful.

Neek
2007-07-17, 12:51 AM
what would be cool is if you made wands nessacary, then you can have the core/wood be like a speacalization for wizards. "Lily's wand was very good at casting charms."

and then if you do do that you can still use spell mastery feat so if you lose/drop your wand then you can still do somthing.

I wouldn't go as far as give wands, but I'd give a focus that the spells require, or a material component worth something as a trade off. I say this because of a limitation already placed on wizards: Spell books and material components. Wands in D&D have a very limited scope, they're not foci for metamagic, they're not a channeling device which is absolutely required. You loose a wand, you lost an item that can cast a spell at worst 50 times, at best 1 time. With requiring a wand, you lose your wand, then even with your spell book you're still screwed (it's not like wands in Harry Potter were cheap).

It worked for their magical system, but the trade off in D&D is a specific focus or material component, that you either to earn off with a feat or with paying out of your nose. These spells should not lose that trade-off.

Now, if you want a specialized focus, it might be possible to whip up a feat that creates an Arcane Focus; ultimately the spell would be used to allow you to use a created item, that you've expended money and XP per caster level (up to a certain point) that functions as an arcane focus for spells requiring it. Sort of an eschew material, but for foci and with a price (this is a little bit open ended: A wand may be a good idea to go, but other items are available).

Jibar
2007-07-17, 01:39 AM
To all of you trying to change D&D into Harry Potter... STOP. This thread was for Harry Potter spells in the game. If you want to go ahead and make Harry Potter D20 then fine. Just don't do it in this thread.

And yet the thread says Harry Potter related Homebrew.
There's no mention at all of it being exclusive to spells.

Zeta Kai
2007-07-17, 07:41 AM
Make a penalty for overdose, it's too powerful.

Don't look at me, I didn't write 7 novels on the subject of magic (yet).

I see no reason to add an overdose, as it is nowhere stated in the books that such a thing can happen, & the ingredients for such a potion could be made prohibitively expensive/rare. It's good for a mid-to-high level party, but I don't see it as being necessarily broken.

Hazkali
2007-07-17, 12:45 PM
I see no reason to add an overdose, as it is nowhere stated in the books that such a thing can happen

Hem Hem.

'Why don't people take it all the time, sir?' said Terry Boot eagerly.
'Because if taken in excess, it causes giddiness, recklessness and dangerous overconfidence,' said Slughorn. 'Too much of a good thing, you know...highly toxic in large quantities. But taken sparingly, and very occasionally...'

I believe that means you get a "troll" in potions.

:smallbiggrin:

I'm too much of a fanboy for my own good.

Mephibosheth
2007-07-17, 01:53 PM
I like the spells. Most of them seem pretty good. I have a few comments, though.

First, I think Stupefy needs to be changed. As you have it now, it only knocks the target over and deals a bit of force damage. In the books, however, it's a stunning spell, rendering the target unconscious if successful. I think it needs to be something like this:

Stupefy
Evocation [Force]
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V/S
Range: Close (25 ft + 5 ft/2 levels)
Effect: One ray
Saving Throw: Fortitude Negates

This spell creates a ray of red light which speeds toward the target. On a successful ranged touch attack, the target is knocked backward 10ft +5ft per caster level, and upwards 5ft +5ft per caster level (taking appropriate falling damage) and rendered unconscious for 1d6 hours or until the target of a Rennervate. A successful Fortitude save negates both effects.

Of course, now we need:

Rennervate
Conjuration (Healing)
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Saving Throw: Will Negates (Harmless)
Spell Resistance: No

This spell automatically revives creatures rendered unconscious by the Stupefy spell.

Finally, I don't really like the way you've handled Crucio. I think that, either it shouldn't do damage, or the damage it deals should be slight. Rather, I think it should be something like this:

Crucio
Necromancy [Evil]
Level: Sor/Wiz 6
Target: One Living Creature
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Will Partial (see text)
Spell Resistance: No

This spell causes the subject unmeasurable amounts of pain, rendering the target incapable of taking any actions other than writhing on the ground in pain. While the spell allows no initial save, the target may make a Will save on his/her turn on every round following the casting of the spell to shake off the effect (though he/she is still incapable of acting until his/her next turn). If the target is under the effect of this spell for a number of rounds equal to his/her hit dice + Wisdom modifier, he/she is rendered unconscious and becomes permanently Insane (as the spell). This duration may necessitate the casting of multiple Crucio spells. The insanity affect can only be cured by a Greater Restoration, Wish, or Miracle spell.

So that's what I think. I'm not too sure of the spell level, especially for Crucio, but I think that these are better representations of the way the spells work in the books.

Mephibosheth