View Full Version : A good character sheet for a dragon

King of Nowhere
2016-11-26, 05:38 AM
One of my characters has often expressed the desire to have a dragon companion, and now he's high level enough that I can give him one. Problem is, I need to give that dragon a character sheet. The amount and diversity of a dragon's attack make a normal charter sheet unsuitable. I also have been looking for character sheet in word format, so that I can insert new lines among the attacks, but to no avail: they are all unmodificable .pdf files! I was going to just write ddown the stats on a blank piece of paper, but then I thought maybe someone here can help me?

And since I'm asking about it, how does a dragon's attack really work? If I get it right, he's got one bite attack, two claws, two wings, and one tail per round as part of his full attack, of which the bite with his full attack bonus and all other attacks at -5, OR one crush, OR one tail sweep - though this specific dragon is too small to use those. And if he get enough BAB to gain multiple attacks, then what? does he only gain extra bite attacks, or he suddenly goes at 12 attacks per round? If he only get one extra bite per round, is there some multidecterity-like feat that will give him more? and how many, really?

Thanks for the answers

Calthropstu
2016-11-26, 06:19 AM
Look up "how to convert PDF to DOC"

As for the attacks question, A dragon with character levels generally gains the same things any other character would gain, in addition to his regular dragon attacks. So yes, one extra bite attack.

It becomes a bit more interesting if you go monk. I am not exactly sure how that would work.

It becomes ridiculous if you go vampire dragon monk.

DarkSoul
2016-11-26, 01:22 PM
You might want to go with a stat block like in the monster manuals instead of a character sheet, to be honest.

Troacctid
2016-11-26, 01:27 PM
I'm with DarkSoul. You're going to want a statblock. I recommend modeling it after the ones in the Monster Manual V. Wizards of the Coast got better at laying out monster stats towards the end of 3.5's run.

DarkSoul
2016-11-26, 01:43 PM
I recommend modeling it after the ones in the Monster Manual V. Wizards of the Coast got better at laying out monster stats towards the end of 3.5's run.Seconded. I put together a template file based on that one (I think it originated in the DMG 2?) that I fill in when I need a complex monster.

While I'm thinking about it, just using the stock dragons will likely be plenty powerful. If you really want to customize your dragons, I recommend acquiring Draconomicon and Dragon Magic at least. The former will do a lot for improving dragons beyond their already-overpowered-for-their-CR defaults:

Male Great Wyrm Fang Dragon
CN Gargantuan Dragon
Init +4; Senses Blindsense 60 ft., Darkvision 120 ft., keen senses (2x distance in normal light, 4x distance in shadowy); Listen +44, Spot +44
Aura: Frightful Presence 360 ft. (Will save DC 28 + Cha)
Languages: Common, Draconic, 4 others.

AC: 49, touch 451, flat-footed 45 (+4 Dex, -4 size, +4 shield, +35 deflection1)
HP: 558 (36d12+324) DR: 20/magic
Immune: sleep, paralysis, fatigue2, exhaustion2, ability damage/drain2
Resistances: SR 36
Fort: +34, Ref: +29, Will: +33

Speed: 60 ft. (12 squares), Fly 150 ft. (30 squares, clumsy)
Melee: bite +51 (4d8+15/x2 +2d6 Con drain, Fort DC 35 negates) or
Melee:

bite +51 (4d8+15/x2) and
claw +49/+44/+39/+34/+29 (4d6+22/x2) and
claw +49 (4d6+22/x2) and
2 wings +49 (2d8+7/x2) and
tail slap +49 (4d6+22/x2)

Space: 20 ft. Reach: 15 ft. (20 ft. with Bite)
Base Attack: +36; Grapple: +63 (base attack + size mod + str bonus)
Attack Options: Power Attack, trip (claw or tail, +35 check), Improved Trip, rend (8d6+22, automatic if 2 claws hit), Combat Reflexes (4 AoO)
Special Actions: crush (medium or smaller, Reflex DC 35 or pinned until dragon moves off them, normal grapple rules for maintaining the pin, damage dealt on impact and per round pinned) 4d8+22, tail sweep (small or smaller affected, standard action, 30 ft. radius semicircle, Reflex DC 35 for half damage) 2d8+22.
Combat Gear: dust of disappearance (3 uses)
Spells Known: (CL 15, 1d20+15 to overcome SR, save DC 17+ spell level, ranged touch attack bonus +40)

7th-level (4/day) - greater teleport, ironguard (SpC)
6th-level (6/day) - chasing perfection (PHB2), heal, globe of invulnerability
5th-level (7/day) - righteous might, symbol of spell loss (SpC), scrying, feeblemind
4th-level (7/day) - spell immunity, sheltered vitality (SpC), assay spell resistance (SpC), orb of fire (SpC)
3rd-level (7/day) - haste, dispel magic, downdraft (SpC), ray of dizziness (SpC)
2nd-level (7/day) - scintillating scales (SpC), invisibility, razorfangs (SpC), wraithstrike (SpC), belker claws (SpC)
1st-level (8/day) - true strike, ray of clumsiness (SpC), comprehend languages, tenser's floating disk, identify
0-level (6/day) - prestidigitation, light, mage hand, open/close, amanuensis, mending

Spell-Like Abilities (CL 15, save DC 17+spell level):

At will - read magic, detect magic
2/day - shield, telekinesis (+22 on combat maneuver checks, +43 for attack rolls; 375 lbs. max., boulders deal 15d6)
1/day - dispel magic, spell turning, globe of invulnerability

Abilities: Str 41 (+15), Dex 19 (+4), Con 29 (+9), Int 24 (+7), Wis 27 (+8), Cha 24 (+7)
Special Qualities: Any special qualities not appearing earlier in the stat block are here.
Feats: Awaken Spell Resistance, Power Attack, Multiattack, Combat Expertise, Rapidstrike (claw), Improved Rapidstrike (claw), Improved Trip, Combat Reflexes, Large and In Charge, Spell Stowaway (Heal), Rend, Tenacious Magic (scintillating scales), Permanent Emanation (globe of invulnerability)
Skills: Listen +44, Spot +44, Spellcraft +47 (+51 to decipher scrolls), Search +43, Intimidate +43, Concentration +45, Diplomacy +47, Sense Motive +44, Use Magic Device +43 (+47 scrolls), Knowledge (arcana) +43, Knowledge (local) +43, Gather Information +11, Jump +27, Survival +8,
Possessions: combat gear plus hand of the mage, cloak of resistance +5, manual of quickness in action +5 (read already). All spell focuses are wedged between scales.

Ability Drain (Su): A fang dragon does not have a breath weapon, but its bite drains Constitution if the victim fails a Fortitude save (2d6 drain, DC 35).
Increased Damage (Ex): Because of their sharp claws, teeth, and scales, fang dragons deal damage as if they were one size category larger. This ability does not enable the dragon to use attack forms normally not allowed to a dragon of its size.
Trip (Ex): A fang dragon that hits with a claw or tail attack can attempt to trip the opponent as a free action (see page 158 of the Player's Handbook). If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip the dragon. This dragon has a +4 bonus to its trip check and does not provoke an attack of opportunity for tripping an opponent, because of its Improved Trip feat. If it trips the opponent, it can make a free attack with the same attack (claw or tail) and attack bonus as the one it used to trip.
Sound Imitation (Ex): A fang dragon can mimic any voice or sound it has heard, anytime it likes. Listeners must succeed at a DC 35 Will save to detect the ruse.

Strategies and Tactics
Before Combat: Cast sheltered vitality, then scintillating scales, and finally chasing perfection. Use shield SLA.
During Combat:

If he can set up a full attack, precede it with a wraithstrike and use Power Attack for 15.
Targeted dispel magic on the weapon of any single melee combatant. If more than one foe is hitting very hard, use ironguard instead.
Target casters in preference to mundanes, especially lightly-armored ones. When attacking, move adjacent to the target to maximize provoked attacks of opportunity.
If he's charged, use Large and In Charge to stop the charger. All attacks of opportunity are taken with his bite.
If facing opponents with high miss chances (displacement etc.), use True Strike to ensure bites hit.
If he takes more than 120 points of damage, withdraw to cast heal. Note that Spell Stowaway (heal) triggers whenever anyone other than him casts it. If he can get henchmen capable of casting it on him, he's affected twice.

Permanent Emanation (globe of invulnerability) can be lowered and raised as a free action, which he does to cast spells of 4th-level or lower. Tenacious Magic (scintillating scales) ensures that he's protected against touch attacks even when facing heavy dispelling.

That stat block is based on the template I wrote up and saved as a .docx file.

GilesTheCleric
2016-11-26, 02:12 PM
You might try either my (link in sig) or rrwoods' sheet (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?472603-Excel-character-sheet-for-3-5-(updated!)). Both are in excel, so they're easy to modify. Mine has space for 5 attacks, though you could copy+paste more in. To use mine, fill in the white and pale gray cells with your data, dark gray with temp bonuses, and the rest will fill itself in. You can even add the carrying capacity modifier to get the correct loads for the dragon (change the "limb mulitplier" near the bottom).

sleepyphoenixx
2016-11-26, 03:06 PM
And since I'm asking about it, how does a dragon's attack really work? If I get it right, he's got one bite attack, two claws, two wings, and one tail per round as part of his full attack, of which the bite with his full attack bonus and all other attacks at -5, OR one crush, OR one tail sweep - though this specific dragon is too small to use those. And if he get enough BAB to gain multiple attacks, then what? does he only gain extra bite attacks, or he suddenly goes at 12 attacks per round? If he only get one extra bite per round, is there some multidecterity-like feat that will give him more? and how many, really?

Since others have already answered the first part i'll focus on this one. Short answer? They don't get more attacks, but you otherwise have it right.

Natural attacks don't ever get iteratives no matter how high your BAB is, so he'll have the same bite/claw/claw/wing/wing/tail routine his whole career (unless you take Rapidstrike).
One natural attack or set of attacks is the primary and attacks at full attack bonus (the bite in this case, but it could be two claws for other monsters. Or 8 tentacles, or whatever else).
All the other natural attacks are secondary and attack at a -5, no matter how many there are. You can reduce the penalty with Multiattack (to -2) or eliminate it with Improved Multiattack.

The Crush and Tail Sweep aren't natural weapons, they're special attacks. Like Trample or Improved Grab.

If you want extra attacks from BAB you need to use a manufactured weapon. That one gets the normal iteratives.
In that case the manufactured weapon blocks the appendage used to wield it (probably a claw for a dragon) and all the other natural attacks become secondary natural attacks (at -5).

DrMotives
2016-11-26, 03:07 PM
As for the attacks question, A dragon with character levels generally gains the same things any other character would gain, in addition to his regular dragon attacks. So yes, one extra bite attack.

No, you do not get one extra bite attack. Using a full attack action with multiple natural weapons never gives the multiple attacks per BAH as with weapons, it's an exception to the normal rules. If you replace the bite attack with a mouthpick weapon from Lords of Madness, you can have an older dragon making iterative attacks with the mouthpick weapon, and then using 2 each claw, wing, plus one tail attack. But with a natural bite instead of a weapon, the rules say no extra bite attacks for high BAH.

Calthropstu
2016-11-26, 05:04 PM
No, you do not get one extra bite attack. Using a full attack action with multiple natural weapons never gives the multiple attacks per BAH as with weapons, it's an exception to the normal rules. If you replace the bite attack with a mouthpick weapon from Lords of Madness, you can have an older dragon making iterative attacks with the mouthpick weapon, and then using 2 each claw, wing, plus one tail attack. But with a natural bite instead of a weapon, the rules say no extra bite attacks for high BAH.

Hmmm... where is that exactly? Not saying you're wrong, I just don't recall reading that. Though, looking at a golden dragon's progession, it never does get extra attacks, so I am assuming you are correct. I just thought that getting BAB through Class levels, which specifically state how many attacks you get, would alter that. I can think of many examples where class levels alter a monster's attacks.

But then, most of those wield weapons.

But I would totally find it amusing if a dragon decided to walk on its hind legs and began wielding a colossal greatsword...

DrMotives
2016-11-26, 07:21 PM
In the back of the MM, page 299. Under the heading "full attack". Manufactured weapons are declared the "primary weapon" and use multiple attacks as per the monster's BAB like normal. There is no difference between the BAB from class levels or RHD here, so a 20 HD dragon swinging a really big greatsword would have the normal +20/15/10/5, modified by strength and feats and whatever else. Combining that with natural weapons declares all natural weapons "secondary weapons". An unarmed dragon's bite is a primary natural, with all others being secondary natural weapons. A primary natural doesn't get any additional attacks for BAB. All secondary natural attacks hit at primary BAB -5, no matter how many there are.

The only time it starts getting complicated is when a creature has multiple primary & secondary natural weapons. An example would be a two headed wyvern, making 2 primary bite attacks at full BAB and claws & tail sting attacks all coming in at BAB - 5.

King of Nowhere
2016-11-27, 12:43 PM
so a human using fists would not get bonus attacks? and monks get bonus attacks only because they are monks?

I see a problem with that: any regular dragon could wield a big stick as a manufactured weapon and get a lot of extra attacks per round, while retaining his bite, wings, tail, and possibly one claw, and losing virtually nothing. this begs the questions: why do dragons not use weapons? they are intelligent animals. smarter than humans. they know at least some humanoids are a threat to them. there's no reason they should not all fight armed. just eradicate a small tree and use it as a club if needed. So I will have to either houserule something that will give dragons no good reason to fight armed, or have all dragons figthing armed.

Oh, and what would happen with a dragon monk? I suppose one of his natural attacks would become his monk attack, and he would gain extra attacks for it (and also scale damage for unarmored strike), while all the other natural attacks would not gain extra attacks. they may still get improved damage, though. it certainly makes sense.

thanks for all your answers.

DrMotives
2016-11-27, 01:04 PM
A human using fists isn't, per the rules, using fists exactly. That human is using "unarmed strike" which acts in some ways as a natural weapon and other ways as manufactured. Being a monk has nothing to do with this. A natural weapon that is just hitting with fists is called a "slam attack" and things like golems, zombies, and treants do it. And the reason all dragons don't swing clubs is because 1) it isn't as cool as claws & bites, game mechanics be damned, and 2) they already have 6 attacks in a full attack routine, with 5 of those only at 5 below BAB. A sword-swinging fighter gets 4 attacks only, each at progressively lower attack value. The dragon doesn't need a weapon to keep up, its melee capability is already superior without the trouble of uprooting trees or having enormous swords crafted for a colossal creature. Natural attacks can be increased in number with the "multi-attack" line of feats, which match the PHB "two-weapon fighting" line of feats to add more attacks at decreasing attack values as well. Plus your melee brute dragon will likely have cleave and possibly great cleave to allow a single claw swipe to take out groups of mooks, without even reducing the attack value of all the other attacks the dragon has.