PDA

View Full Version : new beast master, anyone actually playing one

djreynolds
2016-11-26, 07:13 AM
Is anyone playing the new beastmaster?

And what actual beasts are we relegated to?

Can I have giant owl? Can I have a giant poisonous snake or flying snake?

TundraBuccaneer
2016-11-26, 07:58 AM
I've upgraded my beast master to the new one, althoug I've only played it ones until now. Its works well, we have a small group so the extra character that it provides is very nice. Especially since I'm the tank and the only melee character.
As for pets I used the constrictor snake to make a nanuqsaurus (read dwarf t-rex, beard not included) which is CR1/4, can grapple and is large. I don't think its game breaking to have a large beast but that might be because we don't play with a grid.
As for giant owl that might be a little to much since it can take you every where but also grab a enemy and drop it. But any medium size cr1/4 beast should be fine to take. Other beasts is something you should look figure by looking what problems it brings, like large creature have difficulty entering medium sized doors.

Sicarius Victis
2016-11-26, 02:26 PM
According to the UA Revised Ranger, an animal is acceptable as a companion if it "is Medium or smaller, has 15 or fewer hit points, and cannot deal more than 8 damage with a single attack". Kind of hypocritical, as almost all of the animals the UA Beastmaster actually says it can get break those rules in one way or another. So, there's really no good way to know.

(read dwarf t-rex, beard not included)

If it doesn't have a beard, then it doesn't deserve the title "dwarf". Or something.

Naanomi
2016-11-26, 02:35 PM
Yes, gaint crab user here, it was a great change to the class overall and Beastmaster specifically

The guidelines rule out almost every poison animal by virtue of doing too much damage, but most of the other choices that were previously available still are. Of the 'default' choices most chatter is about the ape being the best choice

TundraBuccaneer
2016-11-26, 02:38 PM
If it doesn't have a beard, then it doesn't deserve the title "dwarf". Or something.

Lilly is a beautiful delicate flower of mass-destruction. Every female dwarf I've seen so far was too and don't have beards either.

Naanomi
2016-11-26, 02:39 PM
My female dwarves tend to have beards, but well kept ones; those massive long 'get in your way' affairs are just overcompensating

Sir cryosin
2016-11-26, 02:42 PM
Lilly is a beautiful delicate flower of mass-destruction. Every female dwarf I've seen so far was too and don't have beards either.

If a female dwarf don't have a beard then she ain't a dwarf.

Sicarius Victis
2016-11-26, 03:13 PM

That's because they shave them.

Also, "delicate" and "dwarf" don't go together. A "delicate" dwarf is still tougher than most other races. Except orcs and goliaths, who are basically crossbreeds between dwarves and giants anyways.

TundraBuccaneer
2016-11-26, 04:45 PM
Also, "delicate" and "dwarf" don't go together. A "delicate" dwarf is still tougher than most other races. Except orcs and goliaths, who are basically crossbreeds between dwarves and giants anyways.

Yes that's the joke. As if a tyrannosaur that is the size of a horse is so delicate she almost destroyed a farm last game because there where pigs and she's a tyrannosaur:smallbiggrin:.