PDA

View Full Version : Getting into Xena

Jeivar
2016-11-26, 07:54 AM
A while back I tried watching the first few episodes of Xena: Warrior Princess, but I couldn't really get immersed. The whole thing just kind of feels like it was written by children. Is it one of those series that grows the beard down the line, like TNG, or should I just not bother?

Fri
2016-11-26, 09:17 AM
If you don't like it you don't like it. It's a pulpy 90s adventure series in the line of Hercules the Legendary Journey, and specifically written like that. You don't compare Hercules The Legendary Journey and Star Trek.

Jeivar
2016-11-26, 09:35 AM
If you don't like it you don't like it. It's a pulpy 90s adventure series in the line of Hercules the Legendary Journey, and specifically written like that. You don't compare Hercules The Legendary Journey and Star Trek.

Yeah, nothing appeals to everyone. I was just wondering if it's one of those shows that matured as the writers got a better handle on things.

Clertar
2016-11-26, 10:19 AM
It's the CW from 20 years ago. For me, this approach of "cartoon series with live actors" doesn't really work, but you might enjoy it. I seem to recall that her sidekick becomes a fighter too, and there eventually was a broader mythology with god conspiracies, but the tone I think remains the same.

ImperiousLeader
2016-11-26, 10:33 AM
Yeah, nothing appeals to everyone. I was just wondering if it's one of those shows that matured as the writers got a better handle on things.

Ish? I dunno, it's always going to be cheesy, but I thought it was more mature and better written than Hercules from day 1. YMMV.

Darth Ultron
2016-11-26, 11:41 AM
Like a lot o shows, it does have a rough couple of seasons at first. A lot of the stories are little more then ''Xena fights someone''. The show does have a lot of characters that show up a lot. The show gets a lot more episodic as it goes along. It also at times gets darker.

It might get a bit more ''grown up'', to at least a teen....but it depends on your outlook.

Traab
2016-11-26, 03:03 PM
All I know is, any show with JOXUR THE MIGHTY! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OWM1rrbb1o) cant be terrible. Its a law.

FreddyNoNose
2016-11-26, 03:41 PM
A while back I tried watching the first few episodes of Xena: Warrior Princess, but I couldn't really get immersed. The whole thing just kind of feels like it was written by children. Is it one of those series that grows the beard down the line, like TNG, or should I just not bother?

Sounds to me like you need a deeply intelligent tv show that matches your high intellect.

Cheesegear
2016-11-26, 04:48 PM
I think I remember Xena basically being a bell curve of quality.

Season 1 is pretty bad, and it gradually gets better (though it's very slow in doing so), and then drops drastically in the last season after the timeskip. Yes. A timeskip. Really?

Jeivar
2016-11-26, 05:17 PM
Sounds to me like you need a deeply intelligent tv show that matches your high intellect.

Yes. Something with a posh British fellow in tweed, sitting in a leather armchair and reading 19th century classics out loud.

Cen
2016-11-26, 06:49 PM
Some episodes are good some episodes are great and some are just meh. I remember first few seasons were the 'enemy of the week' type of show - xena goes somewhere, fights someone, saves Gabrielle, rinse and reapeat. But it surely got better with time.
And hey. Bruce Campbell as flamboyand king of thieves!

ArlEammon
2016-11-26, 07:27 PM
the show is insanely stupid, which is a shame because has some interesting ideas like Dahak.

Kislath
2016-11-28, 07:25 PM
Don't let the naysayers fool you.. it's GREAT!
Ok... to be fair, it takes awhile to get great. Once it does, though, it was worth the wait.
The silliness never goes away, but high drama comes along to make it epic.
You'll hear things if you listen closely. For example, in one huge fight scene you'll hear someone yell "Hoody Hoo!" in an homage to the Knights of the Dinner Table. In another, Xena gets lice and tosses them into a fireplace. The sound effects of the screaming lice are hilarious.

Silliness aside, the story arcs aren't so funny, and there's plenty of good drama and great storytelling. You'll be upset by the last episode.