PDA

View Full Version : Errol Flynn and Rapier wielding types.

Floorlock
2016-11-26, 04:12 PM
Hey all.

I know this is nothing new, but I'm attempting to make an Errol Flynn type. That is to say, I'm creating a

swashbuckling, daring, adventurous swordsman who's weapon and wit can both be adequately described

with the word: rapier. I want to, obviously, go with Swashbuckler Rogue...and I want to multiclass with

Matt Mercer's Gunslinger class to achieve an extra level of pirate flavor with the pistols. I have a couple

questions, however.

1. Is a one handed build simply not viable? -When I say this...I mean...is it always just completely

sub-optimal to wield a one handed weapon and entirely disregard the idea of a shield or other weapon?

Most swashbuckler builds seem to utilize the concept of two-weapon fighting...and I know that a shield

gives the +2 AC...but, neither of those options have the same flavor as someone like the Dread Pirate

Roberts fending off foes with nothing but his singular rapier.

2. I'm thinking of going with 8 levels of Gunslinger alongside whatever I do with Swashbuckler

Rogue...which will at least have 3 levels to even be considered a Swashbuckler. I will also be playing a

Variant human. Assuming that I'm building this character at level 12....and given all of this

information...what types of feats should this type of character go for? I noticed that...with this build, I'll

be able to add my Dex, Proficiency, AND Charisma to my initiative. Would the Alert feat be a good

pathway...or would it simply be overkill at this point....knowing that I will almost always go first in

initiative anyways?

What should I do here? Feedback is greatly appreciated. :-)

Grod_The_Giant
2016-11-26, 04:19 PM
1. Is a one handed build simply not viable?
Not... really? It's not so much that it's actively bad, it's just that there's very little you can do with the empty off-hand. The Thief's Fast Hands ability is probably the closest thing, but even then... eh. If you're open to some refluffing, perhaps change a shield to a "parrying dagger (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parrying_dagger)?"

what types of feats should this type of character go for?
Crossbow Expert seems mandatory, for the "no disadvantage for attacking in melee" if nothing else. It's the sword-and-pistol swashbuckler feat, to say nothing of one of the best in the game. Defensive Duelist is fun if you're not doing a full five levels of Rogue.

Would the Alert feat be a good pathway...or would it simply be overkill at this point
Massively overkill.

JakOfAllTirades
2016-11-26, 06:48 PM
I'm not sure I see the problem here....

So, you want to wield a rapier. OK, here's your rapier. Don't poke your eye out.

Now, you've still got a hand free. Whether it's empty or whether there's a dagger in it, you're still wielding that rapier either way.

The rapier wit, you'll have to bring yourself.

Floorlock
2016-11-26, 06:51 PM
Awesome. Thanks, Grod.

I appreciate the advice. Yeah...if refluffing to a parrying dagger is the best that can be done...then that's all there is to it. That's probably just what I'll do.

And yeah...I'll probably go with that feat. What about the unearthed arcana Blade Mastery feat? Is it comparable to Defensive Duelist? It's not as much AC...but, it does add extra offensive bonuses as well.

Floorlock
2016-11-26, 06:59 PM
I'm not sure I see the problem here....

So, you want to wield a rapier. OK, here's your rapier. Don't poke your eye out.

Now, you've still got a hand free. Whether it's empty or whether there's a dagger in it, you're still wielding that rapier either way.

The rapier wit, you'll have to bring yourself.

The problem is that it isn't optimal. I realize that optimization isn't everything...and I'd much rather just do what I want than live the mechanics to the fullest...but, you know. I don't want a shield in my other hand...but, it makes very little sense not to have one. A free hand doesn't seem to do too much without spells...unless you have ages upon ages of chandeliers to swing from. :-/ Granted... a lot of my time with this character will probably consist of Rapier + Pistol.

brainface
2016-11-26, 07:12 PM
I feel like you should consider thief if you want one handing a rapier to be optimal. Fast hands is full of potential for swashbucklery tricks. You wouldn't have the same potential to duel people, but I feel like you won't often be dueling in actual play.

Sigreid
2016-11-26, 08:14 PM
Personally I would consider asking my DM if I can refluff an open hand monk to channel all of my cool marital arts stuff through a rapier.

MeeposFire
2016-11-26, 08:29 PM
Personally I would consider asking my DM if I can refluff an open hand monk to channel all of my cool marital arts stuff through a rapier.

Just call your short sword a rapier or some other weapon and you are good to go. Your rapier is just slightly smaller than most "it isn't the size that counts it is how you use it!".

smcmike
2016-11-26, 08:32 PM
Just engineer lots of situations where you are swinging from something. That really is the key to swashbuckling.

Laserlight
2016-11-26, 11:15 PM

One of the players in last year's campaign was exactly that--she was a student at "an illegal fencing school" instead of a hidden monastery. The player had a great time.

Alternately, you could dip Battlemaster 5 for extra attacks and maneuvers.

You could fluff your shield as "whatever I have handy to parry with"--a lampstand, your cloak, a beer mug, the enemy caster's staff, a chair...or just flip the pistol around (after you've fired it) and use it as a club, which is what they did historically.

JakOfAllTirades
2016-11-27, 12:15 AM
The problem is that it isn't optimal. I realize that optimization isn't everything...and I'd much rather just do what I want than live the mechanics to the fullest...but, you know. I don't want a shield in my other hand...but, it makes very little sense not to have one. A free hand doesn't seem to do too much without spells...unless you have ages upon ages of chandeliers to swing from. :-/ Granted... a lot of my time with this character will probably consist of Rapier + Pistol.

Optimal, shmoptimal. (Hmm, that looks silly when you type it....) My current TWF character uses a rapier with a whip in his off-hand, and swings around all over the place with it. Sometimes the GM calls for an Acrobatics roll, sometimes he awards my character an Inspiration point for pulling off an awesome stunt.

I'd rather be awesome than optimal any day. Swashbucklers should bring the awesome! And a rapier wit, too.

2D8HP
2016-11-27, 10:15 PM
I'd rather be awesome than optimal any day. Swashbucklers should bring the awesome! And a rapier wit, too.Completely and utterly SIGWORTHY!

:biggrin:

JakOfAllTirades
2016-11-27, 10:52 PM
Completely and utterly SIGWORTHY!

:biggrin:

I thank you, and my character thanks you. <doffs chapeau>

Laurefindel
2016-11-28, 11:42 AM
during the renaissance, there was a fighting style where the left hand was tucked behind one's back and body was turned sideways to expose less surface of the body (not unlike modern fencing). This could be turned into a homebrewed feat giving +1 AC if your off-hand is free of weapons or shield.

CursedRhubarb
2016-11-28, 12:26 PM
Keeping one hand free opens up some interesting options in combat. Some things having that free hand let's you do:

-Swing from a chandelier or rope.
-Flip tables or chairs about.
-use objects
-draw and fire a pistol or crossbow
-pull and throw a knife/dagger
-grab a goblet and splash the water/ale/wine in an opponent's face
-show the druid a new kind of bird that they can't turn into...
-open/close doors

All of these can be fun an are a bit harder to do if you've a shield or weapon in hand already. You'd have to waste actions stowing weapons/shields all the time or keep dropping your own weapons everytime you want to try something fancy. Also, if you've both hands full, using a pistol/crossbow is not really an option when both hands are already in use.

MeeposFire
2016-11-28, 04:12 PM
during the renaissance, there was a fighting style where the left hand was tucked behind one's back and body was turned sideways to expose less surface of the body (not unlike modern fencing). This could be turned into a homebrewed feat giving +1 AC if your off-hand is free of weapons or shield.

The problem with that is you are not giving anybody a reason to take that style. If you want best defenses then you can grab defensive and use a shield. If you actually want to use no shield then you can take mariner and get the AC and climb/swim speed.

Not saying the general idea is bad just you need to give out more than just 1 AC if you want it to be taken.

Laurefindel
2016-11-28, 06:32 PM
The problem with that is you are not giving anybody a reason to take that style. If you want best defenses then you can grab defensive and use a shield. If you actually want to use no shield then you can take mariner and get the AC and climb/swim speed.

Not saying the general idea is bad just you need to give out more than just 1 AC if you want it to be taken.

oh I agree that feat would need more; the idea was that a feat could reflect this fighting style, not unlike Dual Wielder.