PDA

View Full Version : Player Help making a 17th level half dragon fighter.

David Franz
2016-11-26, 05:20 PM
hello i need help in making a half dragon fighter for 3.5 the DM sent the party back in time and back to 3.5e. because there are no dragon born in 3.5 i have to use a half dragon. i would love to get some help with this.

MisterKaws
2016-11-26, 05:43 PM
Just go read Races of the Dragon, real quick.

Seriously, it's on the first page after the ToC.

Also, as long as your DM isn't one of those, Warblade is just a no-brainer over Fighter.

Troacctid
2016-11-26, 05:45 PM
There are in fact dragonborn in 3.5e. http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20060105b&page=1

David Franz
2016-11-26, 06:10 PM
Just go read Races of the Dragon, real quick.

Seriously, it's on the first page after the ToC.

Also, as long as your DM isn't one of those, Warblade is just a no-brainer over Fighter.

whats a warblade? i am not very expireced with 3.5e he is letting us use only core books and forgotten realms.

Troacctid
2016-11-26, 06:22 PM
Warblade is off the table then, it's not from an allowed source.

Do you have decent Charisma at all? If so, I would recommend going into Knight of the Weave and then Dragon Disciple. Full BAB 5/Knight of the Weave 10/Dragon Disciple 5 is a solid melee build out of those sources.

David Franz
2016-11-26, 06:26 PM

Do you have decent Charisma at all? If so, I would recommend going into Knight of the Weave and then Dragon Disciple. Full BAB 5/Knight of the Weave 10/Dragon Disciple 5 is a solid melee build out of those sources.

the 5e states of my dragon born are St20, Dx14, Con16, Int10, Wis10, Cha16. level is 17

David Franz
2016-11-26, 06:33 PM

i would like to use the half dragon thing i looks like i would get +8 to me strength. that just sounds fun.

Troacctid
2016-11-26, 06:41 PM
i would like to use the half dragon thing i looks like i would get +8 to me strength. that just sounds fun.
You can get it from Dragon Disciple too. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/dragonDisciple.htm

The problem with half-dragon is that it has a level adjustment of +3, which means you are 3 levels lower than the rest of the party if you take it. In 3.5, this is generally not worth it for the benefits it gives you.

David Franz
2016-11-26, 07:30 PM
You can get it from Dragon Disciple too.

The problem with half-dragon is that it has a level adjustment of +3, which means you are 3 levels lower than the rest of the party if you take it. In 3.5, this is generally not worth it for the benefits it gives you.

i am not worried about being 3 levels down from the party. i just need help in understanding how to make the character.

John Longarrow
2016-11-26, 08:58 PM
the 5e states of my dragon born are St20, Dx14, Con16, Int10, Wis10, Cha16. level is 17

Is this for a 5th edition game or a 3.5 game?

DMVerdandi
2016-11-26, 08:58 PM
Honestly, I think you'd be able to get more out of a battle sorcerer (It's in the SRD).
Are you sure this is what you want? 3.5 does NOT lend itself well to only having the core books available, especially if you want to play some sort of mundane character, or plan out a concept.

5e has less trap options in the core book, and in some ways, it's simplicity is it's strong-point. 3.5 isn't like that. Complexity is strength in this game, and the fighter isn't all that complex. Not to say you can't enjoy it or have fun, BUT fighter in 3.5 is what I would consider an expert level class. To make it work, even against CR appropriate enemies without tons of assistance and magic items is an exercise in game mastery itself.
Battle sorcerer would be WAY better, if not a cleric.

But anyway, I will throw you a bone.
There are some things you need to answer first.

1. What is the starting level?
2.Do you intend to multi class, or do you want a pure fighter?
3.What type of weapons are you interested in using? (Polearms, Bows, martial weapons in general?)
4. What are your expectations to get out of the character?

Also, you should talk to your DM. Core only is god-awful.