PDA

View Full Version : Peril & Fame 2: Belhaim

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

Lord Of Mantas
2017-05-01, 06:48 PM
Hammerhead

Well, that was a dismal failure. The question now is this - stay with Cassandra out of solidarity, or distance myself and trust her to talk her way out of this while I continue looking for clues? Hrm... hanging around during a questioning is likely to put them on edge, assuming they don't take ME in, and as far as talking goes I'm a liability, so it's probably best just to melt back into the crowd.

Hammerhead then casually eased himself away from the conversation, making no sudden moves but allowing the Gavel to focus on Cassandra uninterrupted.

Othniel
2017-05-01, 07:27 PM
Cassandra

"Not interested, unless the dwarf comes too. He's my bodyguard. Oh, and the funny lady as well. Those are good jokes," she added, trying to sound like a real Pixie. Cassandra didn't mention Margot, as the other woman appeared to want to be anywhere else besides in her company that moment.

Lord Of Mantas
2017-05-01, 07:32 PM
Hammerhead

On the other hand, if Cassandra explicitly says she wants me around, then I'm not going to deny her.

Straightening himself back up, Hammerhead stepped back over to Cassandra, a serious look on his face and his arms over his chest.

Nefarion Xid
2017-05-01, 07:51 PM
Carnival

Kreed kept his hands up and even put on his best attempt at a disarming smile. "That's fine. How about you and I walk and talk. Your cadre can follow behind with my men." He gestured to the two just behind him, a pair of half orcs with bucklers and cold iron hatchets.

"Or we can talk here. I mean, it's not as if I don't know what you're trying to do. Still, anything is better than hacking each other up in broad daylight. Up to you."

Meanwhile, the merchant rolled his eyes and shoved his hands into the opposite sleeves of his robe. "I actually represent the Golemworks of Magnimar," he said aside to Margot. "I did my share of the work, but I've been representing our interests in Andoran for some years now. The former Supreme Elect had been such a valued customer."

Othniel
2017-05-01, 09:27 PM
Cassandra

Cassandra grinned widely at the half-orcs before turning her attention to Kreed. "And what, pray tell, am I attempting to do?" Her voice was sweetness and light, sarcasm hidden for now. She fluttered along next to the man, wondering how much of his father's personality and goals he shared.

Nefarion Xid
2017-05-02, 12:10 AM
Mysterious Tower, Forest North of Belhaim

Deciding to return to the tower they'd found when tracking Sa'di, the party located the place with a half day of searching. By mid afternoon the located the squat remains of a circular grey tower, half obscured by a wild tangle of dormant trumpet vines. It would be a glorious sight once spring arrived in proper. It was difficult to tell the age of the ruins and any definitive sign of who built them had long since crumbled away along with the upper third of the tower. The only thing of interest that was left was a well built into the center of the ground floor. One would note that the rotten pile of board used to cover it has conspicuously free of debris.

Jade_Tarem
2017-05-02, 12:17 AM
Soraya

"I'm Jurin Kreed, the Gavel here," he glanced to the Qadiran woman and added, "That's like a mayor."

"And here I thought it was a blunt instrument."

That was all Soraya offered, though she dutifully trailed behind the pixie and the mayor, sweeping along gracefully and listening to their exchange.

Kiyoko

"Oh my god, a giant rock," Kiyoko deadpanned. "I'll confess that somewhere between all the intrigue and Lysander's fiftieth attempt to get ahold of Elias's wand, I lost track of what was special about this place. Why are we out here again?"

PepperP.
2017-05-02, 09:52 AM
Ellarie

She smirked at Kiyoko's wand remark. Elias certainly had no shortage of would be suitors. It seemed others agreed with his assertion of Wizards being a hot commodity all those months ago. Ellarie's attention shifted from the tiefling to the ruined tower as Kiyoko questioned why they were there. Her forehead creased in thought.

"I don't think we know what's so special about this place, and that's why we're here!" Her gaze went to the covered well and her frown deepened.

"Somebody else thinks it's special as well, or at least special enough to come all the way out here for some reason." She pointed to the clear board that covered the well and then proceeded to check the area for magic auras.

"There's nothing magical within range. Help me move the board?"

Jade_Tarem
2017-05-02, 11:58 AM
Kiyoko

"You know, there is such a thing as a derelict building. Ruined structures aren't obligated to hold interesting things just 'cause we walk into them." Kiyoko heaved against the boards. "There's... nrrrgh... also a chance that there's just some wandering zombie down there, all bloated and nasty. They fall in sometimes."

If the boards are just layered over the well, Kiyoko heaves them off without having to roll anything. If they're nailed down, she takes a ten and gets a 15 to pry them off. If that doesn't work, she pulls out Kaihou and just destroys all the boards.

Nefarion Xid
2017-05-02, 05:13 PM
Carnival

To his well-deserved credit, Kreed ignored Soraya's jibes and kept his eyes focused on the pixie. He folded his arms. "I don't play these games. You're trying to get a rise out of me. It won't work. My father's foul temper is what got him killed by your kind. Now, I've offered to speak in private. We can do that, or you and your cohorts can leave in peace. Simple as that."

Mysterious Tower

As the boards were only loosely piled over the mouth of the well, they were quickly tossed aside. The well looked to have masonry sides for about twenty feet down, then bedrock after that, down and out of the range of Kiyoko's darkvision. There was the clear smell of rock-filtered water and the stones were slick with moisture. As the well was only four feet across, one might descend by inching down and bracing.

Othniel
2017-05-02, 05:26 PM
Cassandra

No, you're father's actions are what got him killed. Best leave that unsaid, she decided. It wouldn't do to completely alienate the man. "Entertaining as that might be, it's but a trifling. Besides, by showing that you don't rise to the bait, you give me hope that you're a reasonable sort. Well, reasonably reasonable." She flashed am impish smile. "Very well, in private!"

PepperP.
2017-05-02, 05:58 PM
Ellarie

Ellarie leaned over the side of the well and peered into it though it was far too dark and deep for her to see anything useful.

"Might I interest anyone in feather fall?" She straightened and spoke the incantation that activated her winged boots, clearly meaning to fly down herself.

Jade_Tarem
2017-05-02, 11:07 PM
Kiyoko

"Diving down a dark hole filled with gods only know what. It's like visiting Auntie Munasukaru's again." The tiefling shook her head. "Sure, let's have a feather fall." With that, she rolled over the edge of the well and dropped.

PepperP.
2017-05-03, 04:22 PM
Ellarie

"Hey!" Ellarie stomped her foot as Kiyoko tumbled into the hole.

"No fair! I wanted to be first." She cast feather fall on her friend as the tiefling fell further away from her.

She then stepped over the hole herself, seemingly floating in mid-air thanks to her boots and slowly began to sink down into the well.

"See you boys at the bottom!" She waved her fingers at Philip and Elias as they disappeared from view to be replaced with the stone bricks and damp bedrock of the well before the darkness engulfed her vision.

Nefarion Xid
2017-05-03, 08:56 PM
Carnival

Kreed said nothing for a time, but gestured for Cassandra to walk with him towards the frozen lake where they stood apart from the others. "The fey act as if they're playing a game of which the rest of us aren't allowed to know the rules. They laugh and congratulate one another on their play. But it's not cleverness."

He knitted his hands together behind his back and sighed. "I need you to know that I know my father was an evil man. I know that because I'm not stupid. He's been dead nearly six years now, but when he was alive, I wasn't so young to not see what went on in my own house."

Mysterious Tower

"Bu ..." Philip trailed off, completely shocked and dismayed as Ellarie leapt after her friend. He held out the brightly glowing pebble he'd prepared, offering it to nobody now. After a few confused turns from side to side, he simply sighed and tossed the rock in after them.

Meanwhile, eighty feet down, Kiyoko landed feet-first in a waist-deep pool of briskly cold water. The shaft widened gradually after a ways down and the bottom of the space was nearly twenty feet wide in a circle. Once Philip's pebble plonked into the water, Ellarie could see that the little pool was populated only by dozens of tiny translucent shrimp. After initially scattering, they quickly returned to latch onto her and Kiyoko's boots where they went to work scrapping off and nibbling unseen sources of nutrition. A passage lead south from here, half natural and carved from the underground spring that emptied here, and half man-made -- the marks of a pickaxe were obvious and the way had been shaped to accommodate someone of human size.

Othniel
2017-05-03, 10:10 PM
Cassandra

"Likely small comfort coming from me, but I am sorry." Cassandra hesitated momentarily, glancing at the frozen lake and wondering how close Ambrosia was. "And I apologize for trying to get a rise out of you. That golem merchant annoyed me, and I spoke imprudently. I'm sure you understand my position, or at least some bit of it." Cassandra's tone changed, and she attempted to sound more conciliatory. "If you are unlike your father, what are your intentions with regard to the Fey and the woods?"

Let's go with Diplomacy! [roll0]

Lord Of Mantas
2017-05-03, 11:39 PM
Hammerhead

Following behind Cassandra, Hammerhead continued to say nothing, but did give a sigh of internal relief as the conversation between her and the Gavel took on a more civil note.

There's a time and a place for brawls, and I'm still not sure how I felt about that whole attempt back at the golem demonstration.

TheDarkDM
2017-05-04, 02:07 AM
Elias

The young wizard shared a put-upon look with his cousin as the two women went careening down into the dark hole in the ground, only taking a breath when he heard the sound of water. Raising a hand, he splayed his fingers and barked words of power he'd only dreamed of commanding the year before. As the magic filled him, he turned towards the golem he'd named Svangi.

"Guard the well until we return."

The golem moved to take up its vigil, while Elias rose over the lip of the well and floated down gracefully. Not to be outdone, Philip muttered his own lesser incantation and followed. As the two men reached the bottom of the well, they came to a stop an inch above its surface.

"You know, one day jumping down mysterious holes is going to end badly for someone."

Elias casts Overland Flight. Philip casts Fly. Both have cast Mage Armor.

Jade_Tarem
2017-05-04, 11:43 AM
Kiyoko

"You say that like it hasn't already." Kiyoko took a look down the passage, then turned to her friends. "Alright, who here can see in... the... dark." Her gaze tracked over the three humans behind her. "Right! So I'm taking point, then." With that, she spun around as quickly as she could in hip-deep nasty water and advanced.

PepperP.
2017-05-04, 04:04 PM
Ellarie

Ellarie turned slightly to Elias as Kiyoko marched ahead and shrugged, amused.

"I do think she's who we want on point, whether or not you can see in the dark. She can just hug whatever's up ahead into submission." She turned and followed behind her friend, her arms raised to keep then above the waterline. Once they had left the range of Philip's pebble, she cast light herself and kept it in the palm of her hand.

Jade_Tarem
2017-05-04, 08:06 PM
Kiyoko

"No hugs today. Not much huggable stuff down a dank hole in the earth." To punctuate that point, the tiefling drew her sword as she pressed on.

TheDarkDM
2017-05-05, 03:07 AM
Elias

The young wizard tutted as he floated behind the tiefling.

"So pessimistic, Kiyoko! Why, I'm sure there are all manner of things one might hug lurking in dark holes. Perhaps we'll encounter an owlbear cub. The Chronicles always have owlbear cubs popping up in the most peculiar places."

Nefarion Xid
2017-05-05, 07:32 PM
Mysterious Tower

Following the source of the water through the curving tunnel lead the party to higher ground. After a hundred feet, the underground stream was nothing more than a trickle in a shallow channel on the stone. They had a chance to dry and warm themselves with magic before continuing. Philip had elected to maneuver through the tunnel by "crawling" along the ceiling until he could put his boots on dry ground.

The passage suddenly widened into a long chamber with a raised platform of smooth stepped stone. If it had been cut and polished by hand it would have been quite the undertaking for such secluded location -- Elias immediately suspected magic. The ceiling was fifteen feet high slightly domed. Four archways, two on each side of the room, lead off from the platform. At the far end of the chamber, a pair of stone hands jutted from the ground and cupped together to hold a jagged piece of wood the size of a book. The room was lit only by the pale white light of a single enchanted quarts, suspended from the ceiling by a bit of wire.

The piece of wood reveals a Strong Abjuration aura. The quartz is lit with Continual Flame.

Carnival

Kreed turned away and began a slow walk around the lake. On the north shore, a slender figure in a floppy hat and cloak was working with magic to construct a maze out of walls of ice. A minotaur wielding a vicious looking axe plodded along behind, apparently making suggestions.

"I said my father was an evil man. I did not say I am unlike him." He smiled wanly. The gesture was not at all disarming on the young man's plump face. "I don't misunderstand your kind. I know what you want and I know there's a peaceable solution to all of this. Men don't want peaceable solutions; they want easy coin and drink and women. Codwin gave our people land and the Stray gave them homes. Sounds perfect. The Fey mischief even stopped for a few years. But, farming is still **** work. Our people didn't make half of what they did when they were in the cutyards."

He paused again, looking across the lake to where a ghastly thin half elf with stringy hair sat playing a flute on a stump. The music couldn't be heard over the wind.

"Now Druff is Supreme Elect and he says we can go back to work. So, back to work we go. The man says he wants darkwood for his warships. He'll get it. You can kill me. You can kill my men. But your grievance is with geopolitics and capitalism."

Jade_Tarem
2017-05-05, 09:24 PM
Kiyoko

The tiefling fidgeted as the casters in her party called for a halt to ponder safe retrieval of the mysterious object. "So... we found a chunk of magical kindling down the dark hole. I've stood in awe of wood before, but it belonged to a Fire Yai."

Soraya

"Far be it from me to impugn the halls of power, but that seems like a strange hill to die on." Soraya finally broke her silence. "You speak as though capitalism and geopolitics are forces beyond the ability of mere mortals to understand or influence. I was under the impression that your leaders were chosen by the people in this country, is that not true? Blaming Druff for making the decisions you elected him to make seems more like avoiding responsibility than astute observation."

PepperP.
2017-05-05, 09:54 PM
Ellarie

Ellarie looked nonplussed.

"A Fire Yai how exotic. The last interesting wood I saw had pincers and a stinging tail." She snickered at the memory.

"But what are we going to do about this wood? You don't delicately cup just any old wood like that, It's clearly something special." She cupped her hands to mimic the stand that the wood in question rested on.

TheDarkDM
2017-05-06, 05:45 AM
Elias

The snort in response to Kiyoko's jest almost ruined Elias' incantation as he reached down towards the stone floor. Clenching his fist, he willed the power of elemental earth to answer him, and in response several small humanoid figures of rock and mud rose from a suddenly bubbling pool. Looking down at the dim creatures, he spoke to the lead in its native tongue.

<"Go and carefully pick up that piece of wood.">

Elias casts Summon Monster III to summon: 1d3+1 Small Earth Elementals

Othniel
2017-05-06, 11:42 AM
Cassandra

"She's got a point, you know." Cassandra pondered what the man said for a moment. Maybe it all just came down to the darkwood. Maybe if the need was eliminated? "What's he building more warships for, planning an invasion of Cheliax? I didn't think Andoran had enough manpower for that, let alone the interest."

Lord Of Mantas
2017-05-06, 01:39 PM
Hammerhead

Speaking up for the first time, Hammerhead joined the conversation.

"I don't know about a lack of interest. It's been my understanding that Andoran's always wanted Cheliax out of the picture and were limited only by practicality. If someone were foolhardy enough to give it a go, well..."

PepperP.
2017-05-06, 02:09 PM
Ellarie

Ellarie turned as she heard Elias's snort.

"Ah I see Elias has it under control." She watched with admiration as he spoke to his conjured earth elementals.

"They're almost cute so little like that."

Nefarion Xid
2017-05-06, 07:17 PM
Mysterious Tower

The trio of amorphous rock creatures rumbled their understanding to Elias and obediently clambered across the glassy floor towards the outstretched hands. After forming an elemental pyramid, the one balanced on the backs of his brothers reached out over the pedestal and gingerly placed a fat rock finger on the piece of wood. In the instant that followed, the stone hands parted, one clutching the curious treasure protectively while the other backhanded the elemental, launching it against the side wall where it shattered and faded into ethereal dust.

It was at this point that Elias realized that the hands were connected to a torso that was now tearing its way through the floor to deal with the intrusion. A stone golem!

Elias has won initiative. Then the stone golem. Then everyone else.

Carnival

Kreed obviously took umbrage at the interjection into what he had assumed to be a private conversation with the pixie. "A lecture on democracy by a Qadiran, a dwarf and a pixie. This has been a rich, full day and I've really learned a lot." He sneered. "I'm the Gavel. I'm responsible for these people, not the whole damned world. If you have a problem with the way the Consortium does business, then please see our home office in Orgent or take it up with Druff himself in Almas. I think we're done here."

With that, he walked back to his half orc bodyguards and called over his shoulder. "Enjoy the carnival."

Jade_Tarem
2017-05-06, 08:18 PM
Kiyoko

"They really are cute, aren't they? I love the teamw-" Kiyoko froze when what had appeared to be random statuary turned out to be a mighty arcane construct, and frowned when it revealed that it had, in fact, kept its pimp hand strong. The tiefling ducked to one side on reflex to avoid being hit in the face with the flying earth elemental and set herself for the attack...

Soraya

"A lecture on democracy by a Qadiran, a dwarf and a pixie. This has been a rich, full day and I've really learned a lot."

"It's not my fault you don't know how it works..."

"I'm the Gavel. I'm responsible for these people, not the whole damned world. If you have a problem with the way the Consortium does business, then please see our home office in Orgent or take it up with Druff himself in Almas. I think we're done here. Enjoy the carnival."

The Qadiran in question smiled beatifically as he stalked off. When he was at last out of earshot, she sighed happily. "Oh, I am." Then she eyed the pixie. "So! You are, I assure you, by far the most interesting thing at this event. You too, good Dwarf, and the woman with the animate cookware who is embarrassed to be your friend." She curtsied, complete with an elaborate flourish. "I am Soraya the Ninth. It is truly a pleasure to make your acquaintance."

Lord Of Mantas
2017-05-06, 08:44 PM
Hammerhead

Giving a slight smile at finally having a name to put to the face, Hammerhead extended his hand in greeting.

"Name's Yandeath Hammerhead, but you can just call me Hammerhead. Cassandra's bodyguard and companion, in case it wasn't exceedingly obvious." He indicated the 'pixie'. "So what brings you around these parts?"

Othniel
2017-05-07, 12:06 AM
Cassandra

"I don't think he meant that," the pixie said finally. "About enjoying the carnival, I mean." She put on an air of slight annoyance, though secretly she was rather pleased with herself. She'd riled up some lumberjacks and their leader. She'd also learned that Kreed seemed to be a somewhat reasonable sort. That was good in the long run, though less so in the short run. It meant she couldn't in good conscience kill the man to get on Ambrosia's good side.

"Cassandra of Taldor," she said, holding out a pint-sized hand to Soraya. "Do they call you 'Soraya the Ninth' back home, or just Soraya? 'Cause that's what I'm gonna call you, unless and until I think of a funnier name. You don't have any embarrassing secrets you'd be willing to share? That would make it easier." Who was this strange woman? "I'm not interesting. Just a pixie with a chip on her shoulder." She grinned.

"So, who ordered the skating rink?" She pointed toward the iced up lake.

TheDarkDM
2017-05-07, 05:36 AM
Elias

The wizard beamed as Kiyoko and Ellarie complimented his little helpers. The smile was wide enough that the twitch in his face at the appearance of the golem caused quite a ghastly rictus, before he regained his composure and shouted out in Terran.

<"Flank the golem and smash it!">

Turning to his companions, he muttered a few words before biting down on a sliver of licorice root, filling all four with a boundless alacrity.

Elias casts Haste on himself, Ellarie, Kiyoko, and Philip.

Three small earth elemental start working the chain gang.

Elemental 1:
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Crit: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

Elemental 2:
Attack: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]

Crit: [roll6]
Damage: [roll7]

Elemental 3:
Attack: [roll8]
Damage: [roll9]

Crit: [roll10]
Damage: [roll11]

Nefarion Xid
2017-05-07, 02:17 PM
Mysterious Tower

While the earth elementals were normally strong enough to crush a man's skull, their attacks had little effect at the stone golem extricated herself from niche obscured within the platform. Now standing at her full eleven feet in height, the party could see that the golem bore a perfect likeness of the goddess Iomedae with almond shaped eyes and a straight bob cut. Instead of armor, she wore only a short gown and a heavy gold chain with a pendant: the eye of Aroden.

Still clutching the relic in one hand, she crushed another elemental with casual grace and began to advance on the party.

Jade_Tarem
2017-05-07, 05:13 PM
Kiyoko

The tiefling would have preferred some time for protective spells, but this would have to do. Phillip had spent the whole trip here bragging about some telekinetic spell he'd learned that would throw allies at enemies, so she glanced back at him and gave him the nod.

The spell... wasn't as bad as she thought - by the standards of being flung face-first at a stone construct that had dedicated the rest of its existence to reducing her to a pitiful two dimensions. Not having any of that, Kiyoko let herself cut loose with her innate power and start hacking with her blade at the golem.

Phillip's Turn

Moved to adjacent to the golem, provoking an AoO. Attack accounts for Haste, the TK Charge bonus, and flanking, since despite the name, Telekinetic Charge is not actually a charge action and doesn't have to follow all of the same rules like moving in a straight line or to the nearest square.

Power Attack: [roll0]

Kiyoko's Turn... happens after Ellarie's turn.

Full Hasted Raging Power Attack, accounting for Haste, Flanking, Rage, Furious, and Ellarie's damage bonus. Also using a destined strike on the iterative.

Attack: [roll2]

Attack: [roll4] (Haste Attack)

Attack: [roll6] (Destined Strike +5 negates -5 iterative penalty)
Damage: [roll7]

May use combat stamina to make up the difference. May also use Certain Strike if needed. Critical threats, if any, can be resolved in the OOC.

PepperP.
2017-05-07, 06:00 PM
Ellarie

"Huh." Ellarie gawked as the stone golem materialized and started smashing Elias's elementals. As she felt the Wizard's spell course through her, her song of rage lept to her lips and she let instinct take over.

Flanking, Raging, Hasted, rawr.
Attack 1
[roll0]
Damage
[roll1]

Lesser Elemental Rage (Acid)
[roll2]

Elemental Rage (Lightning)
[roll3]

Attack 2
[roll4]
Damage
[roll5]

Lesser Elemental Rage (Acid)
[roll6]

Elemental Rage (Lightning)
[roll7]

Spirit Totem Attack
[roll8]
Damage
[roll9]

Jade_Tarem
2017-05-07, 10:45 PM
Soraya

"What they call me depends on who is talking. Soraya is fine for this, though." The tall woman leaned down a bit to get a closer look. "Cassandra of Taldor is a strange name for a pixie. Which court are you from?"

Othniel
2017-05-08, 12:18 AM
Cassandra

"Oak," she responded without hesitation, though she cast another glance at the frozen lake...and the emaciated half elf across. "Though I've visited the Silver as well, and I'm hoping to make contact with the Winter. Oak really is quite delightful, though I've not been back in a great many years. I wonder if anyone still remembers me." Cassandra looked Soraya, perhaps as curious of the foreign woman as she was of Cassandra. "Know much about pixies then, do you? And where are you from, Soraya the Ninth and Converser with the Dreaded Fey?"

Bluff the Magic Dragon... [roll0]

Jade_Tarem
2017-05-08, 12:27 AM
Soraya

"Qadira, of course." The tall woman straightened and shrugged. "I have been hoping to make contact with the Fey Queen Ambrosia concerning the rising tensions here in Andoran. As you are so well traveled, perhaps I could impose on you to take me to her? This is official business, and it would be for everyone's benefit."

Othniel
2017-05-08, 12:46 AM
Cassandra

"Then we share similar goals!" replied the pixie, though her face fell. "Unfortunately, I have yet to make contact. I believe we are close, however. Do you see the lake there? How it is frozen over, yet too warm for such? Not a normal occurance! Frozen lake, winter court, frost nymph!" She snapped her small fingers to emphasize the point. "And that helf over there is far too thin. It makes me hungry just to look at him. Er, not to eat him! I'll be right back."

Cassandra reached into her bag and pulled out the mess of carnival tickets she'd purchased before zipping over the water toward the half-elf. Ending her flight a few feet from the man, she separated several hundred tickets and held them out to him, though she did not speak, preferring to hear what he was playing.

TheDarkDM
2017-05-08, 01:24 AM
Elias

The sight of the stone golem bearing down on him did not seem to phase Elias, as he gripped the silver rod at his side and sent an orb of frigid snow at the creature.

Elias casts a Maximized Snowball

Touch Attack: [roll0]
Damage: 30 Cold

Jade_Tarem
2017-05-08, 01:44 AM
Kiyoko

Her attack was not as effective as she'd hoped. Kiyoko grunted when her weapon bounced from the enchanted stone and managed to get out an "Gah!" when she saw a lovingly sculpted fist headed for her face. I'd wondered if an Iomedaean would end me, but this was *not* what I had in mind!

Fortunately, she didn't have to stand there and take it. Just before the slam connected, Kiyoko exploded into a cloud of cherry blossom petals and sparks, the smell of flowers and ozone present for just a moment. The cloud reformed into the team's resident tiefling a second or two later, just in time for her to see Elias's... snowball... hit with more force than most cannon balls. Whatever works.

She'd lost the haste spell at some point, but there was no pausing to lament that now. She stepped in and started swinging again.

Attack: [roll2] Destined Strike 2

PepperP.
2017-05-08, 10:28 AM
Ellarie

Ellarie sneezed as Kiyoko reduced the statue to crumbled pieces and dropped her rage, almost reluctant to step away from the focus and confidence it always imbued her with. She frowned as she looked at the remains of the lovely statue.

"Elias, how powerful a wizard might one have to be to make a construct like this?" She waved her hand vaguely at the heap of rubble.

Nefarion Xid
2017-05-08, 01:27 PM
Mysterious Tower

As Kiyoko bisected the statue's waist, the majority of it fractured into fist-sized chunks of gneiss. When the dust cleared, all that remained of Iomedae was her bust and head, her placid face with down-turned lips and button nose. In one severed hand, she still clutched the piece of wood -- though a few taps with the adamantine sword knocked her fingers off. Whatever the relic was, it had a bowl-like curve to it. One might think it was part of a boat, but it seemed a little thin at only half an inch. Two pieces of linden (Elias decided it was either linden or some sort of poplar) had been joined together with glue. There was evidence that a nail had been driven through one of the pieces and roughly removed. It seemed to be in pristine condition despite the damp of the cavern, but the abjuration aura would explain that.

The chain and eye of Aroden were nonmagical, but could be appraised at 1,500 gold based on their weight alone. One or Aroden's holdouts or Iomedae's church may pay more.

Carnival

On the north shore of the lake, Cassandra found the half elven man clad in rich clothes of black and swirling purples with glints of silver thread along his slender cape. He had a gaunt, haunted look. Where Stray had been merely melancholy, this fellow looked seriously ill. He hadn't been facing in her direction, but he lowered his flute as she approached and then stared frigidly at her from the corner of one eye.

Meanwhile a number of the lumberjacks who had been ready to drink and enjoy their day off had begun to follow Kreed out of the fairgrounds. A man with a tray of candied apples ran after them, desperately attempting to sell something before too many potential customers left.

Othniel
2017-05-08, 09:03 PM
Cassandra

"Hungry?" She still held the tickets out in front of her, though she remained several feet from the man as she hovered mid-air. "I'm Cassandra."

"No."

Troubled by the man's look, she frowned. "Is there something wrong? Something I can help with?"

He sighed. "You're new, aren't you? I haven't seen you with this lot before."

"I am new! And I'm not with this lot, just visiting and seeing what all this carnival thing is about. Is there something I should know?"

Nefarion Xid
2017-05-15, 12:55 AM
Carnival

The gaunt half elf sighed once more. In addition to his skeletal appearance, his skin had taken on a slightly blue-purple hue. Likewise, his hair was decidedly amethyst when viewed at the correct angle. "If I tell you where to find Ambrosia, will you stop bothering me?" He shot a finger in the direction of the floppy hat wearing man in a cloak. "There. She disguises herself so she won't be disturbed."

With that, he touched his flute to his lips again to signal he was done talking.

Mysterious Tower

A search of the rest of the underground facility revealed little of value, but much intrigue. In one chamber, there was a library containing a scholarly wealth of information about Aroden, the Inheritor Iomedae, Arazni, General Arnisant, the Whispering Tyrant and the entire war which lead to Tar-Baphon finally being sealed within Gallowspire. A pristine brass bowl filled with orange dust was revealed to be magic, and the reason the library hadn't succumbed to rot over the ages. Much of the information contained within had been compiled by later authors and Ellias had studied their works. Still, the personal accounts of the war and people who knew Iomedae as a mortal are very interesting. A map was mounted to the wall on cork-board. A black pin noted the location of Gallowspire in Ustalav. Three white pins marked the southwestern foothills of the Five King's Mountain range, a place Ellarie knew as Droskar's Crag; the city of Lastwall; and Oppara. Below the map, resting on a wooden tray with a shallow groove, were three orbs. Two shone with white light, but one had cracked and gone dark. While the nature of the orbs was perhaps not readily apparent, Elias was sure he could divine their meaning by perusing the collection.

The collection is well preserved thanks to the Dust of Dryness contained within a magic bowl. The bowl continually refreshes the properties of the dust, so that it continues to draw moisture from the room. A cheap solution. The bowl and dust are worth a combined 1000 gp. The books, scrolls, and maps are worth 1000 as well, but as much as 2500 to worshipers of Iomedae. When consulting the collection (250 pounds total), you may make knowledge checks with a +10 circumstance bonus, though only about the war and actors. Likewise, the stone bust of Iomedae's statue may fetch 500 gp, though it weighs 100 pounds.

One chamber was only used as a pantry. It contained only piles of ancient mold and a few casks of wine that had long ago turned to vinegar. Another contained a shrine to Iomedae, but was bereft of anything valuable. The final door led only to the bedroom of the poor monk who had kept vigil here. His partially mummified remains lay on his filthy bed with his arms crossed over a gold symbol of Iomedae. A chest at the foot of his bed contained a +1 Longsword and his journal. Brother Bartolome describes his lonely life here, guarding the relics of his faith until the year 4612. His final entries lament not marrying and he supposes that the illusory magic which had obscured the tower will eventually fail, but he is hopeful that his replacement will arrive after some delay.

Othniel
2017-05-15, 01:24 AM
Cassandra

"Thank you!" The pixie took her leave of the slightly-rude half-elf and zipped back across the water to rejoin Hammerhead and Soraya. "Poor chap seems to be starving, quite possibly on purpose," she reported. "In any event, Ambrosia is Mr. Floppy Hat there." She pointed. "The one with the cloak."

"Now then, how to approach her?" She turned to look at Soraya expectantly.

TheDarkDM
2017-05-15, 01:27 AM
Elias

The young wizard's breath caught in his throat as he realized the content of the library, treating his companions to the uncommon sight of a man looking at rolled vellum with barely-concealed lust. He managed to keep his faculties about himself, though, until the last of the rooms had been examined and he held the old monk's journal in his hands.

"Poor man, abandoned for the sake of secrecy. Come Philip, let's see what secrets this place holds."

With that, Elias found a comfortable seat and began examining the ancient journal.

Jade_Tarem
2017-05-15, 12:04 PM
Kiyoko

The tiefling spent a moment standing over the monk's remains with open disgust, though not at his physical condition. "This is what service to the gods gets you. A lonely existence in a dark hole in the ground. They don't care about lesser lives, except en masse." She snorted, recalling Munasukaru's insanity and feeling a twinge of something that, had she experienced it more often, she might have identified as empathy. Sure, the Oni had been twisted before Anamurumon had ordered her to stay behind in the House of Withered Blossoms, but her decades there hadn't done her any favors. The only good that could be said about it was that Ameiko's crew had almost certainly killed her by now. "The funny thing is, unless he was secretly a powerful cleric, there's precious little he could do to stop us that his golem couldn't. He died as he lived - in a dreadfully superfluous role."

When it became clear that Elias intended to peruse their data haul, though, she clarified: "I'm all for giving the library a look, though I'm hoping we can leave here sooner than that monk did." With that, she settled in to read as well, starting from the opposite end of the library as the wizards.

Soraya

"It is simple. We wait." Soraya clasped her hands in front of her. "When powerful people go about in disguise, it is precisely because they do not wish to be recognized and cornered concerning official business." She bobbed in place a moment, considering her options. "I would also like to point out that we have not verified yoursource's information. He could simply have been trying to get you to leave him alone. Even if he was telling the truth, though, forcing our way into her face when she does not want to be disturbed is unlikely to get a favorable response."

Othniel
2017-05-15, 03:12 PM
Cassandra

"In point of fact, he was trying to get me to leave him alone. I think." The diminutive woman shrugged. She suppressed a smile at the thought that she was essentially disguised as well. "But I believe he was telling the truth. At any rate, I suppose we should follow from a discreet distance."

Lord Of Mantas
2017-05-15, 08:50 PM
Hammerhead

As Cassandra returned and detailed what she'd found out from the "half-elf", Hammerhead nodded as Soraya floated the idea of remaining back for the moment.

"I'm fine with waiting. We're not exactly inconspicuous, but as long as we avoid any overt or aggressive moves we'll find an opening to approach more naturally eventually."

PepperP.
2017-05-16, 12:59 PM
Ellarie

Ellarie had taken one of the books and laid down on the floor to read it, her head cushioned from the stone by her backpack, and her feet propped against the wall of the monk's bedroom. She picked at her lips distractedly as she read, her eyes occasionally roaming to the partially decayed corpse. Finally, she closed her book and frowned.

"Shall we give him a proper burial?" She asked the others, finally voicing what had been nagging at her since they'd discovered the monk's pitiable, but honorable purpose.

Jade_Tarem
2017-05-16, 03:44 PM
Kiyoko

"He's already in a hole in the ground. Is there more to it than that?" Kiyoko gave Ellarie an inquisitive look from where she was slumped against the far wall.

PepperP.
2017-05-16, 04:34 PM
Ellarie

She turned to her friend, a bemused look on her face.

"Well it's not very dignified is it, being left to melt away into an old mattress. Seems like the least he deserves for his service is to be allowed to decay in a proper grave. We could use that bust of Iomedae as a tombstone, maybe." She raised a curious eyebrow,

"What do you do with corpses where you're from? What would you do with my body if I were to die?" She asked somewhat facetiously, though she was suddenly genuinely curious of tiefling burial practices.

TheDarkDM
2017-05-16, 11:36 PM
Elias

Elias stood and stretched from his hunched position over one of the many volumes, taking a moment to consider Ellarie's question while pointedly ignoring Kiyoko's lack of empathy for the dead.

"We could clean his remains and leave him in the shrine. His earthly remains would be well sanctified there."

Jade_Tarem
2017-05-17, 11:39 AM
Kiyoko

Lacking the means to clean the body without getting corpse-lye all over her, the tiefling left that task to one of the three people in the room who could cast prestidigitation and answered Ellarie's question instead, taking it surprisingly seriously. "Where I'm from? Do you mean the Five Storms or Minkai? Doesn't really matter, I suppose; the Five Storms see living bodies with a sort of hedonistic reverence, but corpses are meaningless unless they can be incorporated into a plan somehow. I think they used them as feed for livestock, mostly. Minkai, though... Minkai buries their dead. These ceremonies range from simple rituals over simple graves for the peasants all the way up to elaborate funerary procedures for the nobles, though they don't do headstones quite the same way, focusing on burying the bodies in Kami-sanctified areas set aside for such things. For Emperors, there's a special tradition of entombing the body at the Imperial Shrine. This is pure formality, as their souls have already been processed, with those deemed worthy by Shizuru's pantheon joining the ranks of the honored ancestors - some even turning into celestial outsiders outright - and those found wanting cast into the Well of Demons, where they turn into less savory things, usually with tentacles."

Kiyoko began pacing slowly, thinking over the second half of the query. "What would I do if you died? Well, obviously I would drag your corpse to the nearest population center and bribe or punch clerics until one agreed to raise you," she chuckled, then sobered. "But if that wasn't possible, if you had chosen to move on in this scenario... as grandiose as the idea of smuggling your body into an extra-dimensional shrine devoted to Empresses is, I would instead haul the corpse to Kalsgard. Their funerals are so much better."

Kiyoko sighed wistfully. "Purchase a small funeral ship, soak it in accelerants, set your body and all of your belongings upon it, push it out to the harbor, and shoot it with a flaming arrow from shore. The conflagration will consume the remains and scatter the magic items to wash up on distant shores and help with new adventures. A woman who screams defiance at dragons deserves to go out in a blaze of glory. Nothing less would do."

PepperP.
2017-05-17, 03:15 PM
Ellarie

Ellarie listened intently as Kiyoko detailed the various funerary practices she had encountered. She was aghast at the thought of being used for animal feed after her death, as painfully practical as that may be. She had heard her friend speak of the Well of Demons before, not really understanding the significance. Her gaze widened to include Elias and Philip as Kiyoko spoke of "choosing to move on." She hoped when that time came, she would be the first of them to go. Selfish of her, she knew. She arose from where she lounged upon the floor with a small smile as Kiki spoke of their encounter with Svangi.

"I was rather put out by all of his demands. I can't abide a bully." She walked over to Kiyoko and embraced her briefly.

"I know you'd revive me if possible. I would do the same for you. All of you." Ellarie moved to Elias and wrapped her arms around him gently, lingering only briefly. She was unsure on the young nobleman's policy on unsolicited hugs, she was afraid she was terribly improper. The thought brought a wide smile to her lips as she moved to where Phil was still sitting with his book and she embraced him as well, kissing the top of his head and ruffling his hair for good measure. She was in a hugging sort of mood.

"Poor Bartolome there didn't have anyone looking out for him. He's only got us." She shrugged and began to clean and prepare his body for removal into the shrine.

Ellarie will use Spell Kenning to cast Decompose Corpse on the monk.

Jade_Tarem
2017-05-18, 12:40 PM
Kiyoko

After the moment had passed and the monk had been properly cleaned up and placed respectfully at the shrine, and after the group had plowed through the library until satisfied, Kiyoko stood up and stretched. "Sooooo I know we were hot to follow Valere and all, but if what we're reading here is right and the seals around Tar-Baphon are starting to go down... that's really bad news, guys. We might want to take a detour to the broken seal to find out what's going on. If a threat like that gets loose there won't be any justice-laden avenging for anyone."

PepperP.
2017-05-18, 12:55 PM
Ellarie

"This is quite worrisome." Ellarie regarded the darkened orb with a look of concern upon her face.

"We did tell Valere we were coming though. If we could get to Oppara quickly, we wouldn't need to stay long. Just see his so-called evidence and then depart while we consider what to do about Turel. Then we could grab a ship to Almas and head north from there. What do you think, Elias?"

Lord Of Mantas
2017-05-18, 07:23 PM
Hammerhead

Joining Cassandra on the other side of the frozen lake, Hammerhead joined the party as they made their way toward the ice maze, only to find a minotaur leaning on his axe grumpily as a wizard forged the walls - it was, apparently, still under construction. Looking around, the carnival as a whole appeared to be still in the process of setting up, with the only other two attractions in sight being the freak show and -

Trudd's beard, was that a peep show?

Initially wafting into the air at the promise of attractive stripping women, Hammerhead brushed himself and harrumphed in an effort to regain his composure.

Mixed company.

"So... since the pie-eating contest appears to be out of commission at the moment, what do you all say to taking a look at the freak show?"

Othniel
2017-05-18, 08:38 PM
Cassandra

The pixie watched the man with the floppy hat for some time, but he gave no sign of doing anything other than working on the maze, and Cassandra felt boredom creep upon her suddenly. "As you wish." She acquiesced quietly, though she did quirk an eyebrow at the dwarf. "So long as they don't think I'm in the show."

Lord Of Mantas
2017-05-19, 12:00 AM
Hammerhead

"Eh, that's what the hammer's for."

Satisfied that Cassandra would come along, Hammerhead traipsed on into the freak show.

TheDarkDM
2017-05-19, 03:21 AM
Elias

Taken by surprise in Ellarie's hug, Elias returned the gesture nevertheless. While his arms lacked the reassuring strength of the warrior women, the embrace was genuine, and lingered perhaps a moment too long. When Ellarie cleansed the corpse of the old monk, he helped to move the remains, and intoned the last appropriate words over the bleached bones. Only when the conversation turned to their next objective did he speak again.

"Valere is important. If what he claims is true, I will have my vengeance.
But my parents are two years dead, their business ruined a year before that. If the Whispering Tyrant is indeed stirring, all of Taldor, all of Golarion is at risk. In the face of that, my revenge shall keep."

PepperP.
2017-05-19, 10:44 AM
Ellarie

Ellarie nodded in acquiescence to her friend's judgement of the situation.

"Alright, if it's that pressing I'll relent. I suppose I just feel responsible for Valere since he confided to me. And the whole him being pressed into committing atrocities under threat of his family's well being thing. but I'm sure he can sit tight for a few more weeks while we make sure the Whispering Tyrant is secure in his cage. Perhaps I'll send him another message, let him know we've been delayed." She waved vaguely at her head and then began packing up to leave Bartolome's tomb.

Jade_Tarem
2017-05-19, 11:39 AM
Kiyoko

The tiefling grinned when Elias made his choice, and the grin stayed even through Ellarie's doubts. "Well done!"

Despite her usual usage of that phrase, there was a notable absence of mockery in her tone. She actually was mildly impressed. In her experience, humans could rarely focus on bigger threats over personal ones. Then again, Elias wasn't just any human.

That left Ellarie, and Kiyoko's gaze swung to the skald. "You aren't Valere's keeper, Ell. He's a big boy who can take care of himself. Besides, additional time away from me will be good for the poor man's heart, I'm sure."

Soraya

Soraya followed along, maintaining her pleasant expression. "The freak show, truly? Is goggling at those unfortunate enough to be born with physical deformities or planar features a common pastime in Andoran?"

PepperP.
2017-05-19, 12:29 PM
Ellarie

Ellarie, who had been at peace with the group's decision mere moments before suddenly crossed her arms.

"Trust me, I'm well aware he's a grown man. Everyone needs help sometimes. There's nothing wrong with that." Her tone was defensive and huffy though she neither pressed their course further nor elaborated on the source of her irritation and she went back to packing.

Nefarion Xid
2017-05-19, 10:01 PM
Carnival

As the motley crew made their way to the south side of the lake once more, they found the Menagerie of Freaks as a cove of wagons and tents curled around a rickety three-foot-high stage balanced precariously atop stacks of mortared bricks and one overdue library book. The stage's planks creak groaned as "acts were brought up, such as they were. A doughy, short man with a warty nose made the announcements. A crowd of some twenty residents of Falcon's Hollow gather around to hoot and jeer.

Two carnies brought out a cylinder covered with a velvet cloth and sat it down on a pedestal.

"This acquisition I procured from the Black Markets of Geb. Four brave souls had dared the infinite layers of the Abyss in search of treasure, but the sulfurous expanse known as the Slithering Pools is poor in gold and rich in horror!"

He drew back the cloth with a flourish, revealing a naked humanoid thing in a capped glass jar. It looked to be a two-year-old child, but with a watermelon sized head, beady red eyes and cauliflower ears. As soon as the crowd gasps, the thing in the jar awakens and begins clawing impotently at the glass and biting with his three randomly spaced teeth.

"This monster is one of the thousands sons of Ibdurengian, laid in clutches by the demon lord where they feed upon their brothers until only one emerges from the pool. Powerful magics have him safely contained though!"

It's just a homunculus in dirty water. Also, Ibdurengian was slain by Aroden. The Slithering Pools are a marine realm of twisted black and purple coral. Quite hospitable if you breath water.

Lord Of Mantas
2017-05-19, 10:50 PM
Hammerhead

Hammerhead regarded the jar with a bit of a sideways glance, stroking his beard idly.

"Bit small for a demonspawn, innit?" He turned to Cassandra. "What do you make of it?'

Othniel
2017-05-20, 11:54 AM
Cassandra

"Demons aren't my speciality," she whispered back. "At least it isn't a bottled fey. That would be...upsetting."

"Ugly little blighter though," she added absently.

zabbarot
2017-05-20, 04:57 PM
Margot

"Demons come in all sizes," she whispered to Hammerhead, "but that isn't one. Just a particularly wretched construct."

Lord Of Mantas
2017-05-21, 12:37 AM
Hammerhead

"So basically your standard carnival razzle-dazzle, then? Figures."

Nefarion Xid
2017-05-22, 07:27 PM
Carnival

The party killed time for a bit while Soraya and Cassandra planted the seeds of intrigue in the carnie workers. The remainder of the freak show consisted of more standard fair, at least by Golarion's standards. There was the Dog-Faced Girl (merely an unfortunate looking girl of perhaps sixteen with hirsuteness likely caused by polycystic ovary syndrome) who tried to stand very still and looked quite miserable for being there, the Fat Lady (hypothyroidism) who told jokes mostly at the expense of the audience, the Sword Swallower (just years of practice), the Mermaid (a woman with a nearly convincing rubber tail in a bathtub), and finally Udmor, the One Headed Ettin. Udmor was indeed a monstrous Ettin. One of his heads had been severed after an encounter with a vorpal sword a few years back and he claimed it greatly improved his temperament. He claimed to find gainful employment in the carnival to be much more satisfying than ambushing travelers. After the introduction, his magically preserved head "Bubba" made an appearance in a macabre ventriloquism act.

As the show ended and Cassandra was just beginning to plot her next move when she felt a presence behind her. Despite some degree of vigilance from the rest of the party, the man in with the wizard's hat had found his way to within five feet of Cassandra unnoticed. He said nothing, merely folding his weathered hands together over this stomach and tilting the hat's wide, floppy brim in her direction. The mostly obscured face beneath was that of a man in his fifties with a salt and pepper beard and a cold expression.

TheDarkDM
2017-05-23, 04:17 AM
Elias

Having secured an ample storage vessel with almost all of his liquid wealth, Elias bundled up the old monk's library and its ingenious preservative and returned to the lip of the well. In his pockets lay the remaining orbs of light, which he judged better kept in his care than that of emptiness and time. It was not a long ride to return their horses to Belhaim, and even less time to transfer the ancient manuscripts to the room that had once held Hunclay's illegal erotica. That accomplished, he stuffed his golem into the now-familiar portable hole, and made use of his most potent spell for the first time, whisking himself and his companions across the globe. To Andoran.

Jade_Tarem
2017-05-23, 01:10 PM
Kiyoko

The tiefling took a deep breath, almost looking like she was preparing for combat, and took the mage's hand. One extraordinarily disorienting journey later, she found herself staring at the cosmopolitan surroundings of... what appeared to be some variety of classy inn or tavern.

Kiyoko visibly relaxed. "Oh! That's much better than the last time I was teleported anywhere. This is... Almas?"

Soraya

Her distaste had grown with every new act, but none of that had showed on Soraya's face. Still, she was glad when Ambrosia finally appeared, and bowed in the fey's direction.

And here she came to one of the tricky parts of her mission. What she knew of Ambrosia largely amounted to rumor and hearsay, coupled with the delirious grunting of survivors. She had to hazard a wild guess as to the pontification/exposition ratio that would prove the most favorable... though with that expression, she was expecting that the fey would want her to get to the point quickly. "The legendary Ambrosia; it is an honor to meet you at last. There is a matter of official business from Qadira that I would discuss with you at your pleasure, though you may wish for a more private setting than this."

PepperP.
2017-05-23, 01:56 PM
Ellarie

Ellarie hadn't been sure what to expect when she had taken a hold of Elias's hand opposite Kiyoko. She found herself between Elias and Philip and after their sudden arrival in Almas, she realized she was squeezing both of their hands too tightly.

"Sorry!" She released them both and ran a hand through her hair to settle herself.

"Hey nice place, you think we have time for a bite and a drink? On me!"

Othniel
2017-05-23, 02:07 PM
Cassandra

The pixie forced a grin onto her face. She touched down to the ground and performed a well-executed courtly curtsy, though she remained silent for the moment, leaving Soraya to do the talking initially. There was a high degree of likelihood that this was her quarry, but she wanted to make sure.

Lord Of Mantas
2017-05-23, 09:20 PM
Hammerhead

Hammerhead did his best to conceal his nervousness as Soraya and Cassandra took the lead with talking to the person who they were reasonably certain was Ambrosia.

Face to face with a reputedly very unfriendly fey queen, and no idea how she'll react. Got to be ready.

Jade_Tarem
2017-05-24, 12:35 PM
Soraya

"And you are?"

"Where are my manners!? I am Soraya IX of Qadira, of the larger Kele****e Empire, in service to his majesty."

Ambrosia only stared, prompting Soraya to straighten. Sensing that the fey wanted a bit more information, she elaborated, "I have been charged by the crown to deliver an offer of material aid - to you, specifically. After much searching and several meetings with underworld contacts, highwaymen, and - when I was desperate enough to ask the lowest of the low - elected officials, I found myself pointed in the right direction. A chance meeting at this event sped the process, and here we are."

Nefarion Xid
2017-05-24, 09:45 PM
Carnival

The man in the wide brimmed hat looked Soraya up and down with extreme scrutiny. Finally, he settled on her eyes and gave a noncommittal huff through thin tight lips. "Your dwarf is far too tense. I do not believe he has my best intentions in his heart." The old grey eyes began to glow until they'd turned a piercing icy blue. They did not stray from Soraya.

"Come. If you want to speak to me, speak. Say what you will away from the crowds." The old man didn't gesture, but merely began walked in the direction of the lake.

Now that the freak show was over, people had begun to disperse. A few of the younger townsfolk had retrieved their ice skates and made their way out onto the frozen lake.

Almas

The sudden appearance of Elias and his companions in the lobby of the Grand Caravel hotel succeeded in ejecting one monocle to the floor. The fat jowled, retired admiral of ninety seven years had been well into the re-re-retelling of his most famous battle in the People's Revolt when the wizard teleported in. The admiral's monocle went rolling and a finger of gin sloshed out of his glass as he attempted to roll to his feet. His friends, or rather his bored captives, men and women in snappy looking blue naval coats, snapped to his aide, simultaneously attempting to get him onto his feet and set him back in the chair.

"Just a mage teleporting in, admiral. No cause for alarm!" chirped the ensign, a tall Mwangi man with sharp features.

"Damn it man, I was teleporting around the Inner Sea, saving the world before you were a twinkle in your daddy's eye! I know what magic looks like! Fought the bloody war to be condescended to by a murmbur fambing lumer!" Further insults were muffled at the admiral nestled back into his own fat neck. "Freshen up my drink, will you," came through loud and clear once he'd settled himself.

The lobby was just as Elias remembered from his youth, down to the paintings on the walls. The drapes had been changed to a gaudy pale gold which hardly matched the royal blue carpet.

Othniel
2017-05-24, 10:15 PM
Cassandra

"Don't mind him. He might just be hungry," said the pixie, rather distracted. An offer of material aid? What was the Qadiran woman's game here? Cassandra paused, flitting into the air again. "Speaking of which, anyone hungry? I'm hungry." She cast an eye around for a food stand or something of the like and shrugged. "I suppose it can wait. Come along, Hammerhead, and don't look so grouchy."

Activating my bracers for +20 to bluff! That'll put me at a +40 for the next 70 minutes.

PepperP.
2017-05-24, 10:46 PM
Ellarie

As she looked around the hotel lobby, she became aware of the commotion they had caused when they'd suddenly appeared. Upon seeing the Ensign searching for something on his hands and knees, Ellarie glanced at the ground reflexively. Much to her surprise, a monocle sat nearly at her feet. A pointed finger sent it back across the room and she set it to hang in front of the Mwangi man's face with a wink.

Much amused by the brief diversion, she turned her attention back to her companions,

"So! What next? Shall we check in?" She chirped brightly. This would certainly be the nicest hotel she'd ever stayed in if they did.

Jade_Tarem
2017-05-25, 12:32 AM
Kiyoko

"I'm for that." Kiyoko cared not for grumpy fat admirals and their adherents, but the inn was very nice. "We should discuss what gear, if any, we wish to purchase before our next leg of the journey."

Lord Of Mantas
2017-05-25, 01:50 AM
Hammerhead

I'll look less grouchy when we're out of mental domination range.

"As you wish, milady. Though I don't think there are any food stands where we're going." Hammerhead looked to where Ambrosia was going (i.e. not in the direction of the carnival) and fell into lockstep with Cassandra.

TheDarkDM
2017-05-25, 05:29 AM
Elias

Dusting himself out of habit rather than necessity, Elias looked about the hotel lobby with an inordinately pleased grin. Right on target. It seemed to take him a moment to process the commotion their arrival had caused, but as the admiral's words finally registered he swept into a bow towards the knot of Andorian navy.

"Apologies, good soldiers of Andoran. It was not our intention to disturb you."

Turning back to address his companions, Elias motioned towards the front desk.

"Let's see if there are any suites available. As I recall, the rooms are enormous. Of course, the last time I stayed in one I stood scarcely taller than Kiyoko's swordbelt."

zabbarot
2017-05-25, 06:46 AM
Margot

"I have snacks if you want," Margot said as she rummaged through her bag. "I've got walnuts and a couple scones here, but if you want something specific I can whip it up."

Jade_Tarem
2017-05-26, 10:48 AM
Soraya

"If it is not too much of an imposition, I would prefer to say what I need to away from everyone else. The fine people behind me are pleasant enough, but OpSec is OpSec and I cannot say everything in front of them."

Nefarion Xid
2017-05-26, 07:44 PM
Carnival

"As you say," yawned the man in the hat. "I had assumed this colorful cadre were your servants. Very well, we shall speak first in wagon. And then the pixie."

Turning his cold gaze to Cassandra, he parted with, "I do hope the prince is well. You must give the dear boy my warmest regards." He gestured towards the wagon with the purple canvas across the lake and then set out across the ice without hesitation.

Almas

The fresh-faced ensign hastily muttered his thanks to Ellarie and traded the admiral his monocle for his half-empty drink. Meanwhile the admiral burbled something that Kiyoko understood as, "Taldan? Oh, that explains it doesn't it?" before resuming his war stories.

After catching the attention of the visibly confused, but hopeful looking, concierge, Elias was able to reserve a single suite for the night at a cost of 35 gp. This was well worth the coin as the suites included a common room with kitchen-dinette, a master bedroom and two smaller bedrooms with one large private bath.

"We're so pleased to have your patronage, Sir Elias," said the concierge with a smile, a diminutive blonde woman a plump face that didn't fit her slender build. Apparently, word of Svangi's death had spread at least this far and the young woman was clever enough to connect the dots about a man who could teleport. "Do let me know if you need anything. If you don't mind me saying, I presume you have urgent business. So, can I direct you to anywhere in Almas?"

Lord Of Mantas
2017-05-26, 09:47 PM
Hammerhead

As Ambrosia left to talk with Soraya in private, Hammerhead turned to Cassandra.

"We didn't tell her that Stray sent us, did we? Or is it simply that obvious?"

Othniel
2017-05-26, 11:28 PM
Cassandra

"Actually, I've never had the pleasure of meeting Alastair. Cassandra made an effort to control herself, hoping her face showed none of the apprehension she suddenly felt. There were several fey princes, after all.

When Soraya had gone off to the wagon, she turned to Hammerhead and spoke in a whisper. "Maybe she's just guessing. She didn't actually mention You-know-who, and I told the half elf across the water that I belonged to the Oak Court, ruled by Prince Alistair. Which...was sort of true, for a time. But unless you're really good at lying, my dear Yandeath, do not try to play that game with her. Even I might be out of my depth, and I have a magic item for such a situation. I advise caution in your speech with her, and if she attempts to get a full explanation out of you, you could defer to me."

Lord Of Mantas
2017-05-27, 09:29 AM
Hammerhead

Hammerhead chuckled.

"Oh, believe me, Cassandra, I have no intention of taking the lead in and/or speaking with her any more than necessary. I know full well what my limitations and my strengths are. As a distant ancestor of mine once said, 'I 'it stuff onna 'ead'. That's what I'm good at, and that's what I'm here to help with."

Jade_Tarem
2017-05-27, 01:25 PM
Soraya

When they were alone, Soraya started slowly. "It has been said that people have friends, and nations have interests. I could say that the influence of the Djinn has allowed the empire to take the long view and see that excessive logging of the Darkmoon region will lead to problems later, and that would even be true, but it isn't the real reason why I'm here." She smiled and opened her arms. "Simply put, it is in Qadira's best interests for Druff and his government to get a swift kick in the teeth. That is the motive behind the offer. The details are vague because we do not know what your specific needs are. At the moment, though, you have to know that you are getting killed from a PR standpoint. What mortals may think of you might not bother you, but it makes it easy for your enemies to gather sympathy and support that they don't deserve. Additionally, we have it on good faith that they can out-produce you. If they are truly serious about driving you out, they will do so eventually, either through weight of numbers or convincing some gaggle of mighty fools that fancy themselves heroes to cut you down. These problems and more, we can help you with."

Nefarion Xid
2017-05-27, 02:44 PM
Carnival

The image of an old man faded into that of an alabaster skinned woman with cobalt black hair. It erupted with shimmers of sapphire and amethyst in the thin rays of sunlight coming through the wagon's canvas top. She sat aside the weather-worn wizard's hat and sat with her legs folded on bed that was nothing more than a trio of pilfered couch pillows. Beautiful to the point of alien fascination and bedecked in a fortune of jewelry and magic items, her humble surroundings did not suit her. Her voice should have belonged to a jazz singer who survived on applause and bummed cigarettes.

"You have engaged my attention," she said, though she looked away from Soraya and down to her blue fingernails. Stilettos of ice formed over them and she began to click them together to amuse herself. The temperature dropped substantially and soon Soraya could see her own breath.

Jade_Tarem
2017-05-31, 12:52 PM
Soraya

"Wonderful," Soraya replied, without sarcasm. "The situation is such that direct intervention from Qadiran forces is out of the question - I mean, can you imagine the response? - and we assume the fey would have little to no trouble keeping their own forces fed and sheltered. With that in mind, we are prepared to offer abundant support in the form of potions and scrolls (Pathfinders are always digging them up in Osirion and selling them north), as well as loaning out stronger magical weapons and services for use in specific endeavors. All we ask in exchange is to be appraised of your future targets - this information can be made as secure as you like, we have excellent protections for these things - so that we do not lose merchants or too much product to ravenous woodland creatures and jabberwocks. We will not be so crass as to withdraw completely immediately prior to assaults in a way that establishes a pattern, of course."

Nefarion Xid
2017-05-31, 10:53 PM
Carnival

Ambrosia reclined, kicking her feet in the air and lazily drawing an invisible map with her icicle fingernail. "Do you know that a Taldan man came to me with the same offer not so long ago? He professed himself an ardent admirer of my work and deeply sympathetic to the plight of my people. He wanted what you want. He wanted what all men want -- to get what they want and to not get their hands dirty." The last few words were punctuated with a metronome motion from her finger.

"Dreadful little pretentious snobby bore of a man. But I couldn't argue with that kind of power. And you know," her eyes danced over Soraya, now regarding her upside down as her head slumped over the side of the bed. "He still hasn't delivered on his promise."

She provided no further edification about the nature of their arrangement.

"I can appreciate that Qadira can think long-term. People who can't see far into the future care nothing for their own history and they forget it. Andorans can't remember anything before the People's Revolt. They think they this country sprang full formed out of an eagle's ass. Humans are stupid the world over, but at least Taldans aren't so phenomenally daft as to think they can clear-cut the heart of the forest without repercussions, economic and otherwise."

She sighed, more annoyed than actually frustrated. "PR means Public Relations, right? Hmph. We tried being friendly. It was even working. I couldn't believe my insufferable nephew accomplished anything, but even I was beginning to feel hopeful. But that only lasted until the next election cycle, didn't it? I don't want to be loved,and I don't care about being feared, I just want the mortals out. My intentions are as pure as they come. If you want aid me, Soraya IX, you can help me convince my own kind that this is the only way." Her icy talons grew until they were the size of daggers.

Jade_Tarem
2017-06-01, 12:07 PM
Soraya

"Whatever it takes." The Qadiran stood and bowed. She wasn't surprised to hear about the Taldan man, or that his promise was empty. It fit with what she knew of the situation. "Who among your kind, then, really need to be convinced?"

Nefarion Xid
2017-06-01, 05:44 PM
Carnival

A Cheshire smile spread across the nymph's lips. "My kind will be easily convinced with the right tragedy. My sister, that's Syntira, the Darkwood Queen, has a son, her only son. Half-breed bastard boy, the son of some silver tongued sailor. Dear has born many children these past ages, but only the one boy. She loves him dearly -- more than he deserves."

Her smiled turned into a feigned pout. "So it's quite simple, really. Convince the Lumber Consortium that the Stray can be killed and that the time has come to make that play. If the little Prince is killed, or at least sent crying back to his mother, the Queen's heart will turn to ice. There will be no saving the people of this realm. The Vale will be ours again and I leave the south to the whims of fate and politics."

Ambrosia suddenly paused, titling her head to the side and wrinkling her nose. In a flash, she tumbled from the bed and flung open the purple curtain at the back to the wagon, revealing a red-haired pixie who had been attempting to eavesdrop. Without hesitating, the nymph extended an angry finger in her direction and there was a flash of green light. Cassandra cringed, preparing for the worst, but nothing happened.

Forty feet away, Hammerhead and Margot see this happen.

North of Riverford

Elias and his companions were four days out of Almas on the road towards Orgent. It was two days since they departed the sleepy town of Riverford. They'd set out from surprisingly well appointed (but reasonable priced) Wild Rose Inn this morning. There were no more stops on the way to Orgent, but the party had been assured with great confidence that the road was safe and frequently patrolled by the Eagle Knights.

What the talkative people of the inn had neglected to mention was the darkwood forest that lay on the river Andoshen. From their vantage point miles west in the high foothills of Norgotha, the party could a neat delineation between the planes of central Andoran and a near perfect circle of darkwoods, all a century or older judging by their size. At the forest's heart, a long island split the river. Situated on the southern end of the island, they could just make out the slate blue roof of a palatial estate over the canopy.

Othniel
2017-06-01, 06:38 PM
Cassandra

Crap baskets! The pixie slowly lifted her hands as if trying to calm the fey after resisted the woman's terrible spell. Really, that's going a bit far. "Sorry! I was just looking at the wagon. I couldn't help myself, I was so curious. It's not like I was trying to overhear you or something. I just didn't want to disturb your chat."

Bluff! [roll0]

Nefarion Xid
2017-06-01, 06:42 PM
Carnival

Staring daggers at Cassandra for several seconds, the nymph growled, "Pixies," and dismissed her with an agitated wave of her claws. "Go play somewhere else!"

Jade_Tarem
2017-06-01, 07:21 PM
Kiyoko

"Well, this looks cheery." The tiefling squinted at the palace, but no further clues presented themselves. "Do you know who lives there?"

Soraya

"I believe we were done, in any event." The Qadiran bowed again and turned to exit the wagon. "I will keep your advice in mind. What you ask may take time, but I believe it can be done."

Othniel
2017-06-02, 01:00 AM
Her conversation with Soraya finished, she turned to stare at the pixie.

Cassandra stared back. "What?"

Ambrosia narrowed her eyes and drew the curtain closed. Cassandra waited a few minutes to see if the fey woman came out, and decided to knock on the wood near the opening to the wagon when there was no further movement. There was a long pause before the nymph drew the curtain back again and scowled. "I cannot imagine why Alistair has sent you."

"Alistair didn't send me. I came on my own. I've heard...things. Seen other things. Fey fighting fey. I'm not sure who to believe, and I'd like to know what's going on. I want to know if it's related to Andoran's crimes."

"Go home to your mother, child." Ambrosia appeared more sad than annoyed.

Cassandra stood undeterred, tiny hands on hips and an angry look on her face. "I had to watch dryads be consumed by flame. I was forced to kill fey to defend other fey. Is this the kind of thing we have been reduced to? I've wandered far from Verderun Forest to seek my answers in the court of the Nymph Queen. Must I seek out Syntira, or even her daughter, Aripha?Or is does all this bloodshed not matter to you? I've even heard rumors that Rhoswen is free - that the stones binding her inside the Fellnight have fallen. Just what we need, another bloody war while these humans bait us with their horrid axes. Maybe you're content to move along in your caravan, peddling cheap tricks for humans while the forests fall, but I'm not!"

Ambrosia gave the pixie-woman a long stare. "Who told you that Rhoswen was freed?"

"A druid named Devarre told me."

The nymph smirked dismissively. "If the Fellknight Queen were free, we'd all know it."

"How?"

"Rhoswen was the daughter of Count Ranalc himself. If she were free, she'd be taking her revenge on all of us presently. I wouldn't be surprised of the skies darkened and a fell wind blew."

Cassandra shivered at the thought, not pretending now. "That sounds unpleasant. Well, I'm glad you cleared that up for me. Devarre was obviously wrong, human though he was." She pauses, stressing the past-tense of the druid. "Though I'm curious about one other things. What's a nymph like you doing in a carnival like this? How do you tolerate Kreed and his folk over in the machine tent? Just being around those lumberjacks gave me the creeps."

Ambrosia gave Cassandra a little smile. It was not a happy one. "You and your friends should depart before evening. You're young. There's still a tenderness to you. Go back to the Oak Court and toast to Alistair's long reign."

"Yeah...that's probably a good idea. Thank you for your time." Cassandra curtsied and took her leave.

A sigh was followed by the curtain closing once more.

PepperP.
2017-06-02, 12:04 PM
Ellarie

Ellarie sat atop her black warhorse and gazed down at the forest and estate within, her forehead wrinkled in concentration.

"If I'm remembering clearly, that's the home of some fey prince. Stray of the Silver Court? Bit of an odd name, but then the fey are a bit of an odd bunch." Her eyes went to the river, wondering if the was another way across.

"What do you think? Should we go say hello?"

Lord Of Mantas
2017-06-02, 09:09 PM
Hammerhead

Hammerhead looked anxiously as Cassandra returned from her own talk with Ambrosia.

"So... what now, Cassandra?"

Othniel
2017-06-03, 12:00 AM
Cassandra

"That depends," she started slowly once she'd rejoined Margot and Hammerhead. She avoided looking askance at Soraya, though curiousity burned within her. "Let's go a little ways away before we talk."

Once she judged they were a safer distance away from the nymph's wagon - and Soraya, "No offense," she'd said, but they didn't know her well enough yet - she began to quietly explain, her voice barely above a whisper. "I didn't get a full explanation of what's going on, but she seemed dismissive of the possibility of the Fellnight Queen being free, noting that if that were the case, 'she'd be taking her revenge on all of us presently.' That seems to imply that she doesn't favor Rhoswen's release any more than we do, and I think eliminates her from being a suspect." Cassandra flitted into the air again and cast a look in the direction of the wagon. "I couldn't get her to tell me if she knew why there seemed to be a dark fey uprising, so either she's not involved or she doesn't want to tell us." The diminutive woman sniffed in annoyance. "She's definitely up to something though. I overheard part of what she said to Soraya - Don't look at me that way! I don't think the Qadiran woman can be trusted, and no it's not just because I'm from Taldor. We should avoid mentioning more of our mission from You-Know-Who to her." Cassandra narrowed her eyes and wrinkled her nose at Hammerhead to forestall any complaint about eaves-dropping. "She said 'there would be no saving the people of this realm,' that the Vale would be 'ours again' (I assume she means the fey), and the south was open to the whims of fate and politics. She also strongly implied that we shouldn't be here come nightfall. I can't imagine she means anything good to happen, particularly with that party of lumberjacks around...and Kreed with his machines." The pixie woman hesitated for a moment. "I almost feel I should warn him."

Lord Of Mantas
2017-06-03, 10:43 AM
Hammerhead

"Honestly, that lout's enough of an ass that I'd almost say not to..." Hammerhead sighed. "But it's not fair to the rest of the people who are just bystanders."

"As for Soraya, you'll hear no complaints about eavesdropping from me, not if she really is not to be trusted. Should we avoid her, then, or do you want to keep tagging along to try and thwart her?"

zabbarot
2017-06-03, 09:30 PM
Margot

"Is this even really our fight? It doesn't matter who wins, there will be a new war in a few years. Ambrosia would have to commit genocide to keep the Vale forever. Our lives are too short to respect hundred year old treaties." Margot sighed, "If you really want to help, Cassandra, I'll help, but no matter what side we choose there will be bloodshed."

Othniel
2017-06-04, 11:36 PM
Cassandra

"There are children here," replied the pixie, very quietly. "Kreed doesn't seem to desire bloodshed, but I do think he believes it inevitable. I would rather not have a spark here be started by fey kind, or it will invite a stronger reprisal, and play into her hands." Cassandra sighed softly and looked at her companions. "I'm not sure how to avert trouble here, but I wish we could do something, preferably without losing our own heads."

TheDarkDM
2017-06-05, 04:35 AM
Elias

Patting his own fine steed on the neck, Elias considered Ellarie's question.

"I have no interest in intruding on the affairs of the fey if we can avoid it. They are too capricious for my taste."

zabbarot
2017-06-05, 10:14 AM
Margot

"Human children. Should we give them the Vale then? Convince the fey to withdraw? They have a whole world to retreat to after all." Margot's face settled into a mirthless smile, "Maybe this is the 'great game' he spoke of. This ridiculous pageantry of keeping the peace while they plot to slaughter each other. Ambrosia is an agitator. Eventually she'll get people killed if left to her own devices. Doing anything about it risks starting the same war she's trying to start though. We should leave for now. Regroup and come up with a real plan. Can you get a message out to the Prince?"

PepperP.
2017-06-05, 01:33 PM
Ellarie

Ellarie nodded at the Wizard's prudence, casting the distant estate a curious but wary eye.

"Fine with me, we'll stick to our road and hopefully they'll stick to their forest." Without warning, Ellarie began to sing enthusiastically.

"Outside of our town, at the edge of the forest
Two roads come together, they call it Fey Cross
And there at the crossroads, away from the roadside
There's an odd mound of granite all covered with moss

Oh, soft is the pillow, all green and inviting
Sweet is the sound of a new faery tune
But beware of the voices that call you to sleep there
That call you to dream 'neath the light of the moon.

The old people say there is music at Fey Cross
Music to call travelers off of the road
That calls them to sleep on the moss-covered hillside
And dream of the magical music below

The story is told of a sweet harper maiden
Who longed to know more than her master bestowed
She slept on the hill and the faeries sang to her
The first night a dance and the second an ode

Again and again she went back to the hillside
Ignoring the warnings her elders implored
Night after night, the fey songs touched her heartstrings:
She learned them all greedily, longing for more

Her voice rang like silver, her steps turned to marches
She did her chores gladly in three-quarter time
She stepped through the village and dreamed of the fey songs
Of dancing, of chanting, of cadence and rhyme.

Each night she slept out on the hill by the crossroads
She stayed every night for a year and a day
But one night, as she lay there peacefully dreaming
A wee faery bard came and whisked her away

They sing of her still in the town at the crossroads
The harper who longed to learn the fey songs
And all of the children grow up with this warning:
"Don't listen at all: you may listen to long."

Oh, soft is the pillow, all green and inviting
Sweet is the sound of a new faery tune
But beware of the voices that call you to sleep there
That call you to dream 'neath the light of the moon.

I see that you've slept seven nights on the hillside
I know your blood sings with beautiful songs
But hear now the voice of that foolish young harper
Who listened, who listened, who listened too long."

Lord Of Mantas
2017-06-05, 02:17 PM
Hammerhead

Hammerhead drummed the shaft of the Last Word.

"I don't know how I feel about leaving - conflict may be inevitable, but if Ambrosia's really going to try something tonight, I'd rather stick around and try to help out where we can. I do support sending a message to Stray, however, if we can do that."

Jade_Tarem
2017-06-05, 05:26 PM
Kiyoko

"That's a nice song. Bit of a dark subject matter, though. Did you just come up with that, or did you hear it somewhere?"

PepperP.
2017-06-05, 05:38 PM
Ellarie

"I heard it from my mum. She used to like to sing it as we were traveling through the words so I'd be properly scared and not go wandering off." A faint smile curved the corners of Ellarie's lips at the memory and her eyes grew distant.

"It usually worked. Usually." Her grin widened with mischievousness, though her eyes had returned to the present.

"Let's get moving, maybe we can sleep in Oregent tomorrow. Not that I don't like camping, but the food leaves a bit to be desired." She frowned and looked almost embarrassed.

"Complaining about food quality? Am I spoiled? I think I'm becoming spoiled."

Othniel
2017-06-05, 06:32 PM
Cassandra

"We have hours until nightfall," Cassandra said, changing the subject slightly. "Lets go see these Hacketts at the Temple of Erastil, and see if maybe they can send a message."

Lord Of Mantas
2017-06-05, 06:38 PM
Hammerhead

Scratching his head for a second, Hammerhead then slapped it gently.

"Right, right. I forgot he mentioned them. I concur, then. After you."

And then Hammerhead followed Cassandra to the Hackett's.

Nefarion Xid
2017-06-05, 07:12 PM
New Falcon's Hollow

The handful of people did their best to ignore the strangers, though Cassandra caught a few dirty looks from people who hung about their porches. Cassandra and her companions found the local Temple of Erastil at the east end of the town at the end of a row of unoccupied brownstone townhouses and past a cluster of open air shrines dedicated to Cayden Cailean, Shelyn, Calistria and Gozreh. Erastli's Temple was the grandest of its kind that any of the party had ever seen. Normally Old Deadeye's devotees were proud to make do with humble wooden lodges, but this place looked as if it had been built to honor Aroden. Six ivy covered pillars lined the facade. A statue of Erastil sat just behind the columns. Most depictions showed the god with his bow drawn back, ready for battle, but this one had him sitting on a stump in a contemplative pose. His chin rested on his hand and his elbow on his knee. Cassandra noted that his gaze was set slyly to the north.

Flanking the path to the temple steps, there were two green spaces, each occupied by young white pines and a carefully selected arrangement of interesting rocks. Attending to the trees was a man who looked to be in his mid thirties, thought it was hard to tell with the mess of red hair and the beard. He juggled a pair of sheers and a ball of twine while repeatedly nudging one branch in place, shaking his head, then letting it go again. Despite his concentration, he waved his his twine and greeted the strangers with, "What can I do for you folks?"

From here, they could also see the north shore of the River Foam. The darkwood forest grew ominously close to the water. Just beyond the treeline, in a sort of half-clearing, they could see a statue of a nymph in a windswept gown.

You recognize the work of the master masons and sculptors that had worked on Stray's castle. Apparently, they built this place too!
The statue on the north side of the river must be Syntira herself.

Oregent

On the fourth day since setting out from Almas; Elias, Kiyoko, Ellarie, Philip and Trisha arrived at the outskirts of Oregent. Though the sun was setting, the city beyond the stone walls still blazed with industry. Judging from the scent of hot iron, the forges were still at work. More timber moved through this city than any other one spot in the world, so it was little wonder they needed an endless supply of tools. To the west, the party could see what had once been part of the Arthfell forest. Now nothing taller than the occasional scrubby cedar grew in the pastureland and farmhouses dotted the hills.

"This entire end of the city is a slum," Trisha, the mousey Pharsman said, gesturing ahead to the city gate. "That's the Squats. It's really nothing but flop houses and Lumber Consortium barracks. If we keep on this road though, we'll get to the Old Quarter. We can find nicer accommodations there."

Lord Of Mantas
2017-06-05, 10:38 PM
Hammerhead

As they entered the temple, Hammerhead took a minute to look around, admiring the architecture of the place.

"You can tell these people must be friends of Stray - look at the architecture. It's very similar to the style of the Prince's castle," He murmured to Cassandra.

As the wild-haired redheaded man greeted them, Hammerhead gave a polite half-bow in greeting.

"Greetings. We were actually looking the head of this temple - the Hacketts. Might you be one of them?"

"My name is Hammerhead, and these are my companions." Hammerhead paused to let Cassandra and Margot introduce themselves. "We've come on a bit of an important matter - namely, on the request of once Prince Stray. The story is a bit long, and complex - Cassandra can explain it better than I can - but the short version is, someone is attempting to unleash a dark fey queen named Rhoswen on the world, and we've been looking into the potential culprits. The name Ambrosia - Stray's fey aunt - came up, and we've come into contact her. She's denied involvement, but we think she may be planning to cause trouble anyway, tonight at the carnival that's in town."
Hopefully this summation of the situation is reasonably accurate. If not, tell me and I can correct it.

Nefarion Xid
2017-06-05, 11:30 PM
New Falcon's Hollow

"Yes, I'm Jaeger Hackett," the man in the green robe affirmed before listening to Hammerhead's hasty summation. His eyes narrowed when Ambrosia's name came up.

"Stray stopped checking in about two years ago. Not long after the town was built. But, yeah, he warned me about Ambrosia. I had a bad feeling about this carnival (that's why I told my sister not to go) but if Ambrosia is involved, that cinches it, doesn't it? From what I know of Fey politics, she was the most ardent advocate of violence. Syntira could not control her, but her abiding love tempered Ambrosia's worst impulses."

Jaeger looked around the circle at the end of the row as if paranoid that someone might be watching. "There's no telling what she has planned, but we should get people out of there without causing a panic. How do you convince everyone to go home though?"

Othniel
2017-06-06, 12:07 AM
Cassandra

"Cassandra, Druid of Verduran Forest," spoke the pixie, landing to execute a polished curtsy as she introduced herself. She was back in the air in the blink of an eye. "We could scare them out, but that would incite panic. And maybe get us into trouble. I've drawn enough frowns on the way here as it is." She frowned, thoughtful. "Persuade them to leave by giving them something they want. Something bigger and better than the carnival? What do folks like around here?"

Nefarion Xid
2017-06-06, 08:49 PM
New Falcon's Hollow

Jaeger paused to set his tools aside on the temple steps. He sat down, digging into his bushy beard to scratch his chin. "A pixie druid? Did Prince Alistair send you?"

Regardless of Cassandra's explanation, he continued, "Folk are folk. They're no different here than they are in the River Kingdoms. You could distract them with anything flashy, but if you do, Ambrosia will just move her plan, won't she? If people go home they might be safe. Shame I can't make it rain."

He raked his fingers through his hair and cradled his head for a moment, nearly mimicking Erastil's pose behind him. "They wouldn't like me saying this, Stray and his mother, but Ambrosia needs to go. I've been trying to keep the peace here between man and fey for years. There's evil on both sides. Rot is rot though -- you've got to cut it out when you find it. Thuldrin Kreed was bad to the core and we got rid of him. This land has been better for it. Not completely healed, but better."

TheDarkDM
2017-06-07, 01:56 AM
Elias

Wrinkling his nose as the first scents of the city reached them on the wind, Elias nodded along to Trisha's explanation and favored her with a smile.

"Do you have much experience with the city then, Trisha? You speak with some authority."

Nefarion Xid
2017-06-07, 02:25 AM
Oregent

The young woman shook her head, hesitating. "No. Sorry. I haven't had occasion to travel. But there are only a few major cities in Andoran, so, well, I do read." Trisha blushed faintly.

"If it helps: Oregent's gavel is a man by the name of Cedrog Deadknuckle. Enormous fellow and a real brute. He's fond of challenging political opponents to a fist fight and then proceeding whether or not his challenge was accepted. That should give you some indication of what sort of town this is. I'm sure you all can handle yourselves, but this is a rough place. Corrupt too. If you. We. Get into some sort of altercation, I don't think the law will be on our side."

TheDarkDM
2017-06-07, 02:27 AM
Elias

Sparing a quick glace at Kiyoko and Ellarie, Elias tried to be reassuring.

"Not to worry, Trisha. I'm sure that whatever happens, we'll be able to take care of ourselves. With or without the guard."

Jade_Tarem
2017-06-07, 02:28 AM
Kiyoko

"Ehhhhhh who cares?" The tiefling cheerfully shrugged that off. "The last time the law was on my side was when I accidentally fell asleep on a legal text and it got indented into my skin. Besides, it's a lumber town, I'm sure they're all accustomed to losing limbs due to bad decisions."

PepperP.
2017-06-07, 09:38 AM
Ellarie

Ellarie snorted.

"I'd think we'd be capable of going twelve hours in Oregent without dismembering anybody... unless they deserved it."

Othniel
2017-06-07, 08:24 PM
Cassandra

"For the second time today, Alistair did not send me," Cassandra muttered. "If there was a scroll of Control Weather available, I might try using it. I don't suppose the temple keeps one handy for emergencies?"

"I can't control the weather yet, but...I can call lightning down. Do you suppose that would be enough?" The druid pondered the idea for a few moments longer. "Of course, if I did that, I might draw unwanted attention to myself. I wish Master Devarre were still alive, poor man."

Lord Of Mantas
2017-06-07, 08:42 PM
Hammerhead

Hammerhead turned to Cassandra as she mentioned the idea of calling lightning.

"Not sure just a single bolt'd discourage them. Early-spring thunderstorms wouldn't be enough to drive off a carnival; we'd need the whole kit and caboodle. Although if desperate, if you were hidden well enough when you set it off I'm sure we could avoid backtracing. In the meantime, lacking a scroll, we'll need to get creative."

Hammerhead pulled at his beard, deep in thought.

"I hate to suggest dishonest methods, but I think we may need to think along the lines of sabotage - planting something really disgusting in the carnival that will send the people running home in revulsion. Like, for instance, spreading rumors of someone having relieved themselves in the beer. I know I'd run for the hills at that."

Nefarion Xid
2017-06-07, 10:10 PM
Oregent

"I am overburdened with confidence," Trisha said quietly, continuing to blush. "For my sake, consider grace in contrition for slights real or imagined. You may be able to flee the country if you run afoul of the magistrate for dismembering someone in a street fight, but I have to work here. And, honestly, I used most of your gold to make a down payment on a cute little third story flat in East Hill and I shall be very cross if I am unable to decorate it due to incarceration."

Philip nodded along in agreement, "On our way out of Almas, I think I heard someone say that I "have a pretty mouth". So, that's plus one on avoiding jail."

Making their way north to find an inn, the party found the town rather somber. Naturally, they drew glances from the exhausted and dirty workers returning to their tenements or crowding into bread lines, but the Oregent they witnessed was not the lawless place Trisha imagined. Once they'd entered the Old Quarter, Ellarie began to spy clues. Squads of Eagle Knights were making their way towards the city walls, loaded with provisions, longbows, and bundles arrows, some apparently marked with bright red twine to indicate they were special. Strung between lamp posts, there were paper decorations -- chains of hearts and swords.

PepperP.
2017-06-07, 10:59 PM
Ellarie

Ellarie's face tilted upwards to view the moon rising heavy and bright in the darkening sky.

"We've picked an interesting time to visit Oregent! You see those decorations? They're charms for good luck and protection. About ten years ago, on the night of the full moon just like this, the area was attacked by an alliance of hobgoblins and werewolves that were immune to silver. Pretty strange. The town barely held on until morning. Night of the Silver Blood, they call it!" She recalled her knowledge of the event enthusiastically before adding a scrap of the one werewolf related song she could recall.

"The werewolf, the werewolf
He comes stepping along
He doesn't even break the branches
Where he's been and gone

You can hear his long holler from away across the moor
That's the sound of the werewolf when he's feeling poor

He goes out in the evening when the bats are on the wing..."

Her voice trailed off as her brow crinkled in annoyance.

"I can never remember what comes after that bit."

Jade_Tarem
2017-06-08, 02:14 AM
Kiyoko

The tiefling picked up the tune for once. Her voice was pleasant enough, though obviously lacking Ellarie's talent and training. The words, at least, were accurate.

"...the wind begins to blow, and the birds no longer sing.

The werewolf, the werewolf,
under the silver glow.
The elf may see him coming,
but none will watch him go.

The wolf steals into town, where the folk are known to stay,
They turn out with their silver, ere to drive him away.
They set upon the wolf-man, their bodies hit the mud;
No argent victory, 'tis a Night of Silver Blood!

will not be felled this night,
by steel or by silver,
but stopped by righteous might.

The wolf, he's not alone, but he leaves the town at dawn;
The goblins that came with him, they're there and then they're gone.
The years continue passing, the moon looks from the height,
And waits for howls that herald another silver night.

the forest will he roam.
It's lovely in the woodlands,
but stay on guard at home.

don't let it from your sight.
When only bards remember,
we'll have a silver night!"

Kiyoko let out a small 'hmph' at the end of it. "The skalds used to sing that from time to time in Kalsgard. I always wondered what it was about... didn't realize the story took place so far to the southeast."

PepperP.
2017-06-08, 02:52 AM
Ellarie

Ellarie looked at her friend in surprise as Kiyoko picked up the tune and sang the rest of the song.

"That's it, well done!" She clapped as she beamed a bright smile at the tiefling. She looked around as if she didn't want to be overheard by the townsfolk.

"Do you think there are still werewolves in these woods? It could get really spooky tonight." Her tone was almost gleeful as she contemplated the evening.

Jade_Tarem
2017-06-08, 12:20 PM
Kiyoko

"With this much buildup, I'd be disappointed if it didn't." The warrior snorted with amusement. "And no, Trisha, I hit my yearly limit for holding my tongue at the Vallas estate. I won't eviscerate anyone for a quasi-imagined slight, but if this place is anything like what you describe, they'll respect strength - meaning violence, in this case - more than manners. If I get a challenge to a fistfight from the mayor, then I'll just have to make my mark on the body politic."

Nefarion Xid
2017-06-11, 12:55 AM
Oregent

After a night of undisturbed sleep in their simple beds (Kiyoko found hers about two inches too short), the party awoke and gathered in the common room where they broke their fasts on overcooked scrambled eggs with not nearly enough butter or salt. Trisha gave hers a generous dash of some pepper and vinegar concoction that would have offended the delicate olfactory senses of most Taldans on the grounds that it smelled "exotic".

A number of soldiers from the Diamond Regiment had likewise filled the dining hall at the inn for their breakfast. For them, it was more like dinner. They all looked bleary eyed and had likely been on watch all through the night. The two elves were in better condition, though one simply stared blankly at the wall or on the other side of it. His friend has to snap in front of his face to rouse his attention once the food arrived.

Though they're taking care to speak softly and cover their mouths so their lips can't be read, you do pick up some of the conversation from the officers. They're comparing notes from last night. There are multiple reports of the elven soldiers spotting wolves far out into the fields. The wolves seemed to move in pairs. One officer concludes that it's obvious they're scouting and taking stock of the towns numbers and defenses. They're looking for weak spots. For now, they've sent riders to look for tracks and to interview the people living in the country.

PepperP.
2017-06-11, 02:27 PM
Ellarie

Ellarie's eyebrows raised over her cup of coffee though she was careful to not look the soldier's way. She nonchalantly took a worn bound journal from her pack and sifted through the pages until she found the first blank page. Scraps of lyrics and random sketches filled the pages but she managed to find some clear space near the end. Without saying anything to her friends at the table, she wrote on the page.

Multiple pairs of wolves spotted scouting the town for weak spots. Do we make this our problem?

She passed the book around silently for the others to read.

Jade_Tarem
2017-06-11, 02:36 PM
Kiyoko

Taking the book, Kiyoko scrawled her own response before passing it to Elias.

Multiple pairs of wolves spotted scouting the town for weak spots. Do we make this our problem?

What, hardass lumbertown can't handle a few wolves? Normally I'd say no, but as we're already here...

TheDarkDM
2017-06-14, 12:05 AM
Elias

Glancing down at the written page, Elias slid the pen into his slender fingers and etched down a spidery scrawl.

What, hardass lumbertown can't handle a few wolves? Normally I'd say no, but as we're already here...

Important as our errand in Andoran is, I don't think there's any harm in offering our services. And who knows, there might be gold or information in the offing.

Laying down the pen, Elias took a sip from his cup and turned to drape an arm over the back of his chair.

"Excuse me, officers. Is there any chance your town might be looking to hire a band of brave adventurers."

He gave the officers a pointed look.

Othniel
2017-06-14, 01:33 AM
Cassandra

"Margot had an idea," Cassandra began. "Knock holes in the beer kegs - I'm sorry, Hammerhead - and spread rumor that the beers is gone for the rest of the day. Hopefully that'll get folks to leave. Then we head back to Ambrosia and ask to speak with her again. Margot has a spell that might stop her cold. Hammerhead can take a potion of invisibility I have, sneak up on her and knock her out (hopefully not killing her, mind you). We tie her up, put her in a sack, and take her back to Stray." She looked at Jaeger for his opinion on the plan. "What do you think? To be sure, we'd want some things to prepare with. A few more potions of invisibility might help, and perhaps potions of protection from evil. I assume she's evil, but I don't know, of course."

Nefarion Xid
2017-06-14, 09:09 PM
Oregent

The captain, a thin half elven man with a long face and a pencil mustache, looked askance at his follow officers when Elias spoke up. His lieutenant gave him a subtly bemused shrug. "Very well," said that captain, setting down his half-chewed roll and taking an appraising look up and down the wizard's table. "Oregent is well protected, but we can hardly spare the manpower to patrol the hills, let alone send men into the damned Arthfell. Have you an experience with werewolves?" He gave a weak smile.

"Considering the obvious ramifications of fighting the devils, not many are keen on it as a vocation. You're only the second takers I've had all season. There's a bounty of fifty sails* for each lycanthrope hand you bring me. Eh, the blood still reacts to silver, even after death, you see. Course, if you disrupt their leadership and bring us proof, I'm sure we can come up with a more substantial reward."

His lieutenant leaned in and whispered something the Ellarie couldn't make out. "Ah, yes. The Stag," the wry humor slowly drained from the captain's face. "We have reason to believe a druid circle has joined forces with the lycans -- lead by some sadistic fellow, calls himself the Blooded Stag." He formed his hands into the shape of antlers and touched them to his forehead. "The bounty on his head is ten thousand, from the Supreme Elect's own bank account. And the Consortium will match it."

New Falcon's Hollow

The bushy druid took in Cassandra's plan. He sighed, but not dismissively. The prospect of any sort of action clearly weighed heavily on him. "You know what you're capable of. If you think you can make it work, then I believe you. I don't know if turning her over to Stray is the best idea, but it is just. She is his kin. It's just for the Fey to decide her fate. It's good for us to be rid of her forever. I would not say that I trust Stray, but I ... I know he's not a wicked man. Even if Ambrosia only spends a decade in his dungeons, that's a blessing for this realm."

He rose from the steps and gestured towards the heart of the temple complex. "Allow me to fetch my things. I've lead a quiet life these few years, but I can still put up a fight. You'll want me around if things go wrong. I'm friends with the local alchemist as well, so we can pick up a few things. I'm certain she has a potion of invisibility."

After speaking with the alchemist, Jaeger provides the party with 2 invisibility potions and 1 potion of cold resistance (10 points)

PepperP.
2017-06-14, 10:35 PM
Ellarie

Ellarie's eyes slid reluctantly from Elias's casual display of confidence to the Captain. Her forehead crinkled as she listened to him speak, something he had said in passing had caught her attention. Well, something other than the huge sum of coin he was dangling in front of them.

What happened to the first takers? You said we were the second?"

Othniel
2017-06-14, 10:45 PM
Cassandra

Cassandra hid her delight that the other druid had decided to accompany them. With one more involved, their odds had to have improved. Or so she hoped. "He's the only reasonable jailer," she said by way of agreement. "Hand her over to any of the humans, and she might lose her head...or cause more trouble. And Stray did ask us not to kill her if we could avoid it." She felt Stray's stone in her pocket, as if to remind herself it was still there. In case their plan didn't work. "We'll have to be fast, very fast."

Casting a glance at Hammerhead and Margot, she frowned. "You do have anything to add?"

Jade_Tarem
2017-06-14, 10:48 PM
Kiyoko

"Oh come on, Ellarie, you're a skald. You have to have heard this campfire story before. They were never heard from again." Kiyoko stretched and grinned. "Twenty thousand for druid hunting? That sounds like a lovely time. I say we should go for it."

Nefarion Xid
2017-06-14, 10:54 PM
Oregent

The captain's lip curled. "They were never heard from again. The ones who weren't killed have likely swelled the lycans' ranks."

PepperP.
2017-06-14, 10:56 PM
Ellarie

Ellarie's lips curved into a wide grin as she shrugged at her friend's and the Captain's words.

"That's what I figured alright, but I wanted to hear it from him." She jabbed a thumb in the direction of the half elf.

"And you have it on solid authority that silver is affecting the wolves you've got out there this time?" She turned her attention back to the Captain. Something wasn't quite adding up here but she wasn't sure exactly what.

Lord Of Mantas
2017-06-14, 11:05 PM
Hammerhead

Listening to Cassandra's plan, Hammerhead sighed mournfully.

"I hate to waste perfectly good beer, lass, but in all other respects, your plan is the best chance we've got. I am on board."

Nefarion Xid
2017-06-15, 02:33 PM
Oregent

The captain sighed. "As far as we know, the lycans were only insusceptible to silvered weapons on the Night of Silver Blood. I'm not an expert on the beasts though. I can't rightly tell you if they were a special breed, or if they'd been magicked up or if it was something special about that full moon. But I don't know of anyone who's fought a werewolf since who didn't have luck with a silver weapon. If you want to know more about their physiology, I'd go have a word with Doctor Downdelver. He saw the aftermath of the attack on Olfden firsthand and examined the bodies."

TheDarkDM
2017-06-16, 02:57 AM
Elias

A low whistle escaped the wizard's lips at mention of the bounty on the druid, and despite the dire implications he chuckled as Kiyoko and Ellarie discussed the prior adventuring party.

"Well, I've little experience with werewolves - it would probably be wise for us to consult the good Doctor. When we return with the druid's head, should we deliver it to the local garrison, or do you have a designated bounty office?"

Lord Of Mantas
2017-06-16, 08:35 PM
Hammerhead

After some further discussion, it was determined that the best way to get the beer to drain without placing the blame on the party would be to find a large swarm of rats and get them to chew through the barrels. Hammerhead then watched as Cassandra caught a mere two rats, who promptly bit her and were not swayed by her powers of wild empathy - only to find that Jaeger had known a spell to summon a whole swarm, and not mentioned it entirely because he found the antics amusing.

"We are leaving this part out of the story when we tell it to the bards."

Nefarion Xid
2017-06-16, 10:27 PM
Carnival

When Cassandra and her party returned to the fairgrounds, they found it much as they left it, though perhaps more popular by a quarter. Nearing lunchtime, more food vendors had opened and the beer pavilion was stuffed with patrons forking over handfuls of tickets at once. As they neared, Jaeger feigned tying his boots and quickly downed his potion once he kneeled down behind Cassandra's cloak. Now invisible, he put his hand on her shoulder and allowed himself to be led to a suitable vantage point to target the mountain of kegs. No one heard his casting over the din of merriment. As if crawling from unseen holes, the pavilion was swarmed in an instant with a roiling mass of filthy rodents.

The townsfolk kept drinking. They certainly seemed to notice the sudden plague carrying pile of fur. Some pointed. But no one seemed concerned. Even as the rats began to clamber over the people nearest the kegs and attack their legs, the lumberjacks and farmers merely chuckled at their predicament and made attempts to scoop up the vermin and pet them with an adoring smile.

THIS IS ****ED UP! SOMETHING IS SERIOUSLY ****ING WRONG!

Arthfell Forest

The party made a visit to the local archaeologist and historian, one Dr. Downdelver, a surprisingly subdued gnome. Well into his two-hundred year, the man had neatly coifed blue hair and completely appropriate, normal dress for a man of some station. They learned little from his account of the carnage and went on at some length about werewolves in general -- nothing the party didn't already know. The strengths and weaknesses of a hundred different monsters had been cataloged in Hunclay's collections and werewolves and tales of werewolves were a common tale around campfires.

After spending the the remainder of the morning trekking through the outlying hills of Oregent, following the abundant wolf prints, the party arrived at the edge of the forest. There was a blurred sort of delineation between the tamed hills and the ancient woods. Judging from the sea of enormous stumps, the forest had at one point stretched well behind them and then been pushed back. But now there were new trees all around, the biggest no more than sixty years old -- a lovely shade tree for one's back yard, but nothing compared to the hulking green tangle of oaks, firs and darkwoods to the west.

The first thing to catch their attention (apart from the tracks of what Kiyoko could only guess to be more than six different wolves) was the fraction of a white-tailed deer left on a mossy stump. All that remained of the poor creature were the skull and spinal column with plenty of meat still left on the bones. The eyes were missing as was the brain. Deep marks showed where something with claws and incredible strength had pried the skull in two to get at the brain and tongue. Curiously, there were no carrion birds in sight. Larger wolf prints lead and spots of blood lead from a hill in the north to this spot, and then straight into the Arthfell.

Jade_Tarem
2017-06-17, 02:17 AM
Kiyoko

"Well, that's disturbing," the tiefling rose from the crouch she'd entered to examine what was left of the deer, not sounding terribly disturbed. "Any ideas on what this could be, or do we follow the trail?"

Lord Of Mantas
2017-06-17, 11:15 AM
Hammerhead

Hammerhead gaped in horror at the sight of people trying to pet rats that were attempting to eat them.

We're too late

"Uuuuh... Jaeger? Any way you can call these guys off?"

Othniel
2017-06-17, 11:58 AM
Cassandra

The pixie-woman paled considerable when she noticed the strange behavior of the carnival attendees. "Oh, do stop!" she hissed. "I thought it was just going to be the barrels!"

PepperP.
2017-06-17, 03:30 PM
Ellarie

"A big bad wolf, no doubt." Ellarie answered her friend's question, sounding doubtful.

"Let's follow the larger tracks. So much for avoiding these woods. Do you guys really think "The Stag" is a druid? Would a druid be ok with something doing this to the forest creatures?" She voiced her doubts as she gazed into the wooded wilds of the Arthfell.

Jade_Tarem
2017-06-17, 04:46 PM
Kiyoko

The tiefling began to follow the tracks to the bigger wolf. "Of course. Druids use their supposed devotion to nature to justify whatever the hell they feel like doing at the time. If they don't mind the animals getting slaughtered, it's natural selection. If they do, then the method used for the killing is deemed 'unnatural' and 'wrong.' They think they're above the hypocrisy and pettiness of society, but for the most part they've simply mastered and internalized it."

TheDarkDM
2017-06-17, 05:40 PM
Elias

Elias nodded in agreement as they observed the tracks of the larger wolf.

"Whatever the Stag is, I have to wonder if we've been told the whole story. Twenty thousand is more than I would expect to be paid for hunting a dragon far older and more experienced than our green friend from Belhaim. What's more, if a powerful druid were intent on the death of these people, it seems odd they would leave so visible a warning."

Jade_Tarem
2017-06-17, 08:22 PM
Kiyoko

"Power and sanity don't go hand in hand. Frequently the opposite, actually. I've known Oni that would throw out this kind of taunt just to make things more interesting or amusing for themselves."

PepperP.
2017-06-17, 08:37 PM
Ellarie

Ellarie looked taken aback by Kiyoko's words.

"I feel like I should be more hesitant about facing an insane druid/werewolf,
but it's just too intriguing a prospect to turn away from. I figure as long as it bleeds, we can kill it."

Lord Of Mantas
2017-06-17, 10:10 PM
Hammerhead

As Jaeger stopped his control of the rat swarm, Hammerhead sidled up with the Last Word and, trying to aim for a spot in the swarm that wasn't over a victim, brought his hammer down hard.

Attack (PA + FF + Mutagen): [roll0]

Nefarion Xid
2017-06-17, 11:00 PM
Carnival

Jaeger hissed his horror to Cassandra. "Gods, what's wrong with them? It will take a moment for the rats to disp ..."

Hammerhead's judicious application of violence solved the problem, leaving only a few of the patrons worse for the wear with holes in their trousers. The rats vanished in a twinkle of green and brown mist. This apparent magic trick only resulted in a smattering of applause from the twenty or so people gathered in the beer pavilion. One teenage boy expressed his disappointment, saying, "Aw, I wanted to play with the puppies!"

"Either the beer has been drugged or there's some dreadfully powerful fey magic at work here," Jaeger offered.

Lord Of Mantas
2017-06-17, 11:28 PM
Hammerhead

"I'd say most likely fey magic. I had some of the beer earlier and I feel fine."

Othniel
2017-06-18, 12:27 AM
Cassandra

"That is likely," Cassandra agreed. Then she stretched out her hand at the nearest carnival attendee, trying to figure out what was affecting the people. "We should find out target quickly before worse things happen."

Casting Detect Magic! On the nearest non-party member.

TheDarkDM
2017-06-18, 01:46 AM
Elias

Turning towards the forest with a shrug, Elias gestured towards the trees.

"Either way, our answers are waiting in the forest."

Nefarion Xid
2017-06-18, 02:52 PM
Carnival

A quick scan with Detect Magic revealed the lingering aura of enchantment in all directions, clinging to the entirety of the fairgrounds. The people weren't enchanted, but the entire area had been blanketed with some powerful effect. Cassandra found it similar in nature to an Aura of the Unremarkable Spell, albeit one with a dramatically increased range that affected all within. Cassandra thought it likely that the trip into town had put them just outside the spells radius.

Arthfell

Even a novice tracker could have followed the tracks of the big wolf into the woods, and the trail he took was well worn. The beast easily weighed in at over three hundred pounds and walked with all of its weigh on two feet. Half an hour after passing the treeline, the party came to a small clearing in the dense woods. There was very little undergrowth as the oak canopy sixty feet above stole most of the light. Still, with what morning light did filter down, the message was clear.

A flat stone the size of a man had been placed here with the broad side facing the trail. Scratched into the surface with claw and blood were the words "HIDE AND SEEK". A ring of humanoid skulls had been piled around the base of the stone, some thirty in all.

TheDarkDM
2017-06-19, 02:43 AM
Elias

Sniffing in distaste at the pile of skulls, Elias made a slow circle around the makeshift altar.

"What do we think, invitation or mission statement?"

PepperP.
2017-06-19, 09:37 AM
Ellarie

"I think it's an invitation, though we're the ones to be sought." Ellarie glanced around warily, the gruesome display finally getting her to take this mission a bit more seriously.

Jade_Tarem
2017-06-19, 09:52 AM
Kiyoko

The warrior shook her head, "Whatever we're after is either too simple or too crazy to make a distinction between the two." She paused in front of the altar, considering what she knew about similar displays she'd seen in the past.

She was surprised to come up empty. Even Munasukaru's madness had been homegrown, she hadn't needed to play Arts and Crafts of War to decorate her magical sanitarium. "So, ideas on how we track this thing down? We can split up in dreadfully cliche fashion and hope that the remaining group members respond to any call of distress, with the obvious drawbacks. If we all stick together, though, it could lead us in circles around the Arthfell. It can make tracks faster than I can follow them. As a final alternative, we could just burn the forest down."

PepperP.
2017-06-19, 04:17 PM
Ellarie

"I definitely do not think splitting up is a good idea. Letting him seek us gives him the upper hand though." Ellarie pulled at her lip as she pondered what to do. Her eyes brightened as her gaze rose to the forest canopy.

"I have an idea." Concentrating, she cast her spell and whistled a very convincing birdsong.

<"Hello! Does anybody know where the wolf creature is who killed all these people and piled the skulls near the entrance of the forest here?">

Ell kens Commune with Birds (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/commune-with-birds/).

Othniel
2017-06-19, 06:27 PM
Cassandra

"Something similar to an Aura of the Unremarkable," Cassandra explained. "Those affected see things as unremarkable that would otherwise be...markable. It's quite possible we narrowly missed being effected by the spell affecting this area," the druidess said quietly. "We need to find Ambrosia, and should do so quickly. Perhaps we should make for her wagon?"

Nefarion Xid
2017-06-19, 06:58 PM
Carnival

The party began to take notice of several things all at once. First, Cassandra and Margot noticed that a north wind was now blowing in. The temperature had already dropped to the mid forties. Hammerhead saw that the sleigh that had been giving children rides around the frozen lake was now driverless and the horse was galloping wildly as if being mercilessly whipped by something unseen. The ten young folk who'd crammed themselves precariously into the back of the sleigh were barely hanging on, but shouting their delight for the wild ride. Then there was the startled but extremely brief cry of pain and surprise. The party looked over towards the Modern Engineering expo just in time to see the purple robe of the Magnimaran merchant disappear into the jaws of a debarking machine. The handful of Consortium members looked between each other and nodded their satisfaction with the speed of the process.

Cassandra and Margot both spied the poorly disguised pair of Grimstalkers who'd evidently loaded the poor man in head-first. They'd donned trenchcoats and bowler hats which looked absurd on their lithe frames.

Arthfell

It took well over five minutes for a winged messenger to arrive and answer Ellarie's question. A bedraggled raven alighted on the stone where he angrily pecked at the stubborn pecan he'd carried with him. "Big wolf," he said as a matter of fact. "Biggest wolf? Probably. Lotsa lotsa big wolfses. Goes where he wants. Big wolf. Thisa part forest all his. Him find you soon."

TheDarkDM
2017-06-19, 07:42 PM
Elias

As more and more ravens arrived to presage the coming of the biggest bad wolf, Elias readied himself for combat.

"Be wary, Philip. If the beast draws near, it may be bringing its pack."

PepperP.
2017-06-19, 08:11 PM
Ellarie

As more ravens began to crowd the clearing, all warning of the incoming "big wolf", Ellarie activated her flying boots and cast a fortifying spell on herself.

"They say he's coming. The big wolf is coming, this part of the forest belongs to him."

Cast Heroism and activate boots

Lord Of Mantas
2017-06-19, 11:18 PM
Hammerhead

Hammerhead looked in horror at the creatures loading the merchant into the debarker.

I need to do something. But with that crowd in the way...

He turned to Cassandra.

"Cassandra. Cast Fly on me. Now!"

Empowered by magic, Hammerhead then flew toward the grimstalkers - only for them to disappear into the tent.

"Get back here!"

Moving to V28.

Othniel
2017-06-19, 11:34 PM
Cassandra

Drawing out the wing feather of a bird, Cassandra uttered a few quick words and gave Hammerhead a quick slap on the back to deliver the spell. "If we can put those down quickly, I can see if I can save that poor man," she muttered. "Despite what he was peddling." Then she began making her own way over the heads of the crowd, pulling out her healing wand as she went.

Casting Fly on HH. Then moving toward the merchant and drawing her wand of CMW.

TheDarkDM
2017-06-20, 12:49 AM
Arthfell

More crows continued to drift into the clearing, each one seemingly intent on answering Ellarie's question. Their cawing filled the air, indecipherable save for Ellarie's spell.

"Big wolf."

"Big wolf!"

"Big wolf coming!"

"BIG WOLF COMING! BIG WOLF COMING! BIG WOLF COMING!"

The screaming of the birds died in a flurry of flapping wings, as the crows took to the air in a circling murder that spiraled up into the sky. Their cries echoed and faded on the wind, leaving behind a void of still air. A void filled slowly by the returning motion of the trees. Too much motion. Kiyoko and Ellarie spotted it while the wizards were still busying themselves with their preparations, an enormous figure balanced precariously in an ancient darkwood. It was doubtless their wolf, though at nine feet tall it was larger than they had feared. Sensing it had been discovered, the beast let out a cry that was half howl, half roar, as Philip quickly sputtered an incantation to gift Kiyoko with flight.

Jade_Tarem
2017-06-20, 10:27 AM
Kiyoko...

...cared not for the birds' proclamation of impending doom, but instead waited for the creature itself to make an appearance, dropping a pair of protective spells on herself to pass the time. When the young wizard gave her metaphorical wings, she immediately rushed the hulking creature, ducking under its retaliatory swipe.

From the moment it appeared, the Minkaian had noticed the conspicuous belt strapped to the beast. While it was possible that it was simply a stylish fashion accessory, something to juxtapose the hulking wolfman's primal nature with a mockery of the trappings of civilization, it could just as easily be a magical belt that would boost the enemy's strength or fortitude to a level reserved for fire giants. Either way, Kiyoko resolved to take it.

After dodging the beast's attempt to keep her away, she planted one foot on the creature's chest, unlatched the belt with her free arm, and used the leverage granted to her by her position and magical flight to spin free, prize in hand and wild mane of hair slapping the wolfman in the face.

She may or may not have said, "Yoink!" Some things must remain a mystery.

Glancing down at her comrades, Kiyoko blinked. "You know, I didn't really think past this point. Are we killing or subduing him?"

Nefarion Xid
2017-06-20, 02:08 PM
Arthfell

The hulking degenerate wolf thing stared incredulously at the flying woman who'd stolen his belt for half a second, then launched into a flurry of attacks with tooth and claw. Despite his weight and ferocity, he seemed to have no problem balancing on the darkwood branches. None of his attacks found purchase, but one succeeded in dashing her illusory sextuplet.

At this proximity, Kiyoko could tell that the creature was likely benefiting from the Barkskin spell. The belt in her hand featured a rondel in the front with the image of a silver dragon's head in profile.

TheDarkDM
2017-06-20, 02:11 PM
Elias

Secure in the air and confident in Kiyoko's ability to subdue the beast, Elias worried nevertheless. There was no telling how close The Stag might be, and if they were taken unawares while dealing with the wolf the druid would have the upper hand. With that in mind, Elias began to chant in the language of Ancient Thassilon, willing the wolf's body to seize up with arcane rigor.

Elias casts Hold Monster on Mr. Wolf. DC 22 Will save.

Seeing his spell take hold, he called across the glade.

"You might try beating him unconscious instead of killing him. He may yet be of some use to us."

Jade_Tarem
2017-06-20, 04:36 PM
Kiyoko

Seeing the wolfman freeze up, Kiyoko reflexively rammed her nodachi through the creature's heart and out the back of its torso, letting it fall the forty feet to the ground with a loud, meaty *thump*.

"I'm sorry, were you saying something?" A moment later, the mage's words caught up with her. "Oh. Oh. You wanted t- aw, nuts. I guess we could speak with dead?"

TheDarkDM
2017-06-20, 04:46 PM
Elias

The state of the werewolf's body should have shocked the wizard. It might have, two years ago, while he was still a naive apprentice to a man he'd thought of noble character. Those days were long past, however, and the only reaction to Kiyoko's reflexive skewering was a chuckle.

"Ah, it was just a thought. The size of this thing, I wouldn't be surprised if it were capable of little more than raving at us. Though it wouldn't hurt to be certain, if Ellarie is willing to sacrifice a spell?"

PepperP.
2017-06-20, 05:08 PM
Ellarie

Ellarie's face was a mixed mask of relief and annoyance that her fellows had put the beast down before she had gotten a piece of the action. Her pout dissipated a bit as Elias asked for her help and she rummaged through her pockets and unrolled a scroll.

"Yeah, I can do that. We've got three questions, what do we want to ask?"

TheDarkDM
2017-06-20, 07:55 PM
Elias

Floating back to the ground, Elias took a cross-legged position away from the pile of skulls and began stroking his hairless chin.

"Perhaps begin with how he grew so large? If it was indeed the Stag empowering him, we can ask where the druid might be found."

PepperP.
2017-06-20, 11:06 PM
Ellarie

Ellarie knelt next to Elias facing the body of the former giant werewolf and read the scroll of Speak with Dead. She leaned a little closer to the body to be sure she could hear his reply and asked,

"You were nine feet tall moments before. How did you grow so large?"

After a few moments of silence it was evident that the corpse remained silent. Ellarie poked the body with a finger and frowned.

"Sorry, he's just not talking."

Jade_Tarem
2017-06-21, 10:18 AM
Kiyoko

"We should make it permanent," Kiyoko groused. "So... I guess we camp out and wait for the Stag to attack us in our sleep? Druids can't be tracked through nonmagical means and we seem to be out of magic."

PepperP.
2017-06-21, 11:12 AM
Ellarie

"We aren't totally out of magic, this fellow is just a stubborn arse." Ellarie nudged the body with her foot in irritation.

"Why don't we talk to our crow friends again? Elias would you be kind and procure us a commune with birds scroll?"

Jade_Tarem
2017-06-21, 11:57 AM
Kiyoko

"I'm all for getting more information, but we need to discuss what we're going to do when we find him. How do we stop him from, say, turning into an Air Elemental and shooting off into the stratosphere? I have some ideas on that, actually..."

PepperP.
2017-06-21, 03:39 PM
Ellarie

"Is your idea tackling? It's usually tackling."

Jade_Tarem
2017-06-21, 04:25 PM
Kiyoko

"If he'll submit to a hug, sure, but if he shifts into living water, I'll have a hard time pinning him down."

Lord Of Mantas
2017-06-21, 10:25 PM
Hammerhead

Holding back a swear at the disappearance of the grimwalkers, Hammerhead looked around.

"They can't have gotten far..."

Move to V16, make a Perception check.

[roll0]

TheDarkDM
2017-06-22, 04:11 AM
Elias

Leaning back on his elbows, Elias closed his eyes against the warmth of the sun as he listened to Ellarie and Kiyoko discuss their options. He had to blink back the light blindness of the act for a few moments before responding himself, and when he did so his voice was low and serious.

"Whatever plan we make hinges on finding the druid in the first place. If we manage that considerable feat, and seize the initiative, Philip can deliver Kiyoko to the Stag's person fully endowed will all our considerable magics. Even if we enter combat on even terms, I would suggest such a strategy. There are creatures I can summon that should be able to take hold of him, at least so long as he remains corporeal. And of course, there is always the chance I succeed in addling his mind and the minds of his inevitable servants."

Jade_Tarem
2017-06-22, 05:43 PM
Kiyoko

"Alright, so how do we find him, then? The woods are kind of a biggish place."

PepperP.
2017-06-22, 07:58 PM
Ellarie

"Oh! That's what I wanted the scroll for. Crows aren't the sweetest birds, but they had their information straight. Let's see if they know where this Stag is." Still feeling a bit deflated from her last attempted scroll use's inefficacy, Ellarie read the scroll of Commune with Birds carefully and attempted to communicate with the crows once again.

"Hello again! Does anybody know where the one known as The Stag is at or where he lives?" She waited hopefully as her eyes scanned the tree branches for birds.

Nefarion Xid
2017-06-22, 11:11 PM
Arthfell

Within a moments, several of the ravens had returned. Most gathered on the standing stone, but one hopped up and down on the werewolf's corpse, then approached Kiyoko and began to nip at the big silver rondel on the belt she'd stolen. For several seconds, they chattered to themselves and seemed to celebrate the fact that the brute was dead.

"Bloody Stag!" one finally exclaimed after his laughing fit. "Bloody Stag! Stag horns man. Bloody man. Bloody rites. In the deep dark forest heart. Briar and bramble all in tangles up to the sky. Fly north west!"

With their message satisfactorily delivered by the eldritch rules of the spell, the ravens retreated to the branches once more, but this time they remained nearby to watch the party's progress.

Carnival

The formerly mutilated merchant still lay unmoving on the ground before Cassandra. Her magic had undoubtedly saved his life and rendered him almost whole once again. After several seconds, his eyes snapped open and he exclaimed, "Oh, that wasn't nearly as fun as they said! No one go on that ride!"

Meanwhile, Hammerhead continued to stalk the exhibition tent for the wicked fey. He neared the north end and began to peer around a table with a clawed arm, some sort of machine that stacked cut planks and bound them wide twine. If the Grimwalkers were still present, they didn't make a sound and he certainly didn't see them, but something caused the machine to spring to life. The claw made a clumsy snap at Hammerhead, but dwarf easily backpedaled from its grasp.

It looks like the claw machine has a range of 15 feet, centered on the X on the map. You spy the controls on the far side of the table, indicated in red on the map.

Jade_Tarem
2017-06-22, 11:53 PM
Kiyoko

"Well, you can't argue with that." The tiefling shrugged and looked at the other two. "Northwest, then."

TheDarkDM
2017-06-23, 12:54 AM
Elias

Buckling the unlucky werewolf's belt around his waste, Elias brushed a few errant leaves from his leather mantle.

"Rush headlong into the dark, bramble-gripped heart of a cursed forest? Who could refuse?"

PepperP.
2017-06-23, 01:25 AM
Ellarie

Ellarie stood and dusted her knees off, still amused by being able to speak with the crows.

"I think I'm going to have to memorize that one better. Who knew speaking with birds could be so handy? I feel like ducks would be really friendly." She followed Kiyoko and Elias as they headed northwest deeper into the forest.

Othniel
2017-06-23, 02:15 AM
Cassandra

"Conall, come forth," the druidess commanded, lifting the dangling amethyst crystal and loosing the large wolf to keep an eye out on the area. "Defend." Then she turned to look at the debarker, seeking a way to shut it down safely.

zabbarot
2017-06-23, 10:22 PM
Margot

Looking to the debarker and then up to the sky where Crocker was still idly circling, Margot whistled loudly and pointed at the machine. The cauldron swooped down to perch gently on top of the machine with all the grace of a two ton drunk. Margot wasted no time climbing in. "Come on, hopefully we can spot her from above this chaos." She waited for Cassandra to join her in the pot before ordering Crocker back into the sky to look for Ambrosia.

Lord Of Mantas
2017-06-24, 12:07 AM
Hammerhead

"Hah! You'll have to do better than that, you cowards."

Circling around to where the controls were, Hammerhead quickly scanned them, looking for something that would allow him to disable the claw machine.

Hammerhead will move to Z10, then make a Knowledge: Engineering check to try and figure out what the correct levers to pull are.

[roll0]

Nefarion Xid
2017-06-24, 12:21 AM
Carnival

Ascending in their flying cauldron, the witch and druid couldn't spy Ambrosia from above the fairgrounds, but they did spy the minotaur now murderously stalking through the ice maze with a bloody axe. Some dozen people had entered the labyrinthine as the promise of a cash prize for being the first to reach the exit. There was no exit.

Meanwhile, Jaeger was now visible. It seemed he had succeeded in calming the irritated horse to an easy cantor and was now trying to subdue the still invisible sleigh driver by hitting it with his staff.

Hammerhead

As the dwarf rounded the bailing machine, the spindly creature wearing the too-big coat and out-of-fashion hat leapt from its hiding place with a triumphant squeal of, "Die, human!" and raked its green hued claws across Hammerhead's breastplate. It was in that moment that the fey creature realize that Hammerhead was both non-human (but still despised as a dwarf) and too heavily armored for his sneak attack. The fear in its eyes became obvious.

It's your turn. Attacking over or through the machines provides partial cover for your target.

Arthfell

The afternoon wore on and the party progressed deeper into the forest. As expected, the trees grew taller and closer together until the canopy knit together so tightly that only the occasional sunbeam reached the forest floor, effectively leaving them in an ominous twilight. The birds did not sing in the east and they did not sing here.

A pleasant smell was on the breeze though, some wisp of perfume and petrichor.

"We should rest here. I'm not used to this much walking. We've been on horseback so much," Philip began complaining. He sat himself down on a tree root before anyone could say otherwise and began making himself comfortable.

Philip has the right idea. You should absolutely have a nap here. Maybe cuddle with Kiki? Of course someone more masculine would be great. Elias? Oh, maybe. Why don't you guys have a blanket? You should definitely spread a blanket out and chill. This druid guy isn't going anywhere and it's such a nice day. Little chilly. But that's why you should cuddle.

PepperP.
2017-06-24, 12:29 AM
Ellarie

Ellarie frowned at Philip.

"He's right, let's rest here." She stretched her arms above her head, a slow smile spreading across her face.

"Isn't the forest lovely?" She walked over to Kiyoko with a serene smile on her face and wrapped her arms around her friend, pulling her into an embrace. She rested again the tiefling for a moment, taking in her familiar metallic scent before she released Kiki and turned to wrap her arms around Elias. She leaned against the wizard's chest and cuddled up close to his lean frame.

"Isn't this nice? Let's just stay here for a while." Her voice was dreamy and far away and she sighed with contentment as she hugged him.

TheDarkDM
2017-06-24, 12:33 AM
Elias

Stopping with some consternation as he floated some feet above the forest floor, Elias called out as Philip lay down.

"None of us enjoy walking much, Philip. That's why I'm not doing it. But a boy your age should be-oh!"

His attention was seized by Ellarie wrapping her arms around his waist and pulling him closer to the ground. Raising his arms, a flush came over his face and he looked towards Kiyoko with no small amount of confusion.

"Um, Ellarie, are you feeling alright?"

PepperP.
2017-06-24, 12:39 AM
Ellarie

Ellarie sighed contentedly against Elias's chest, her hands on his back holding him tightly against her as her eyes drifted closed.

"I feel better than ever. Everything is wonderful. Let's stay like this forever."

TheDarkDM
2017-06-24, 12:49 AM
Elias

The young wizard's feelings had been fairly conflicted as Ellarie had grabbed him, but after a few moments of feeling the skald's warm embrace he wondered why. Lowering his arms, he wrapped them around Ellarie to return her embrace before lowering his face into her hair.

"This does feel...nice..."

PepperP.
2017-06-24, 12:53 AM
Ellarie

"Mmhmm" Ellarie murmured wordlessly as Elias nuzzled against her, content and warm against the wizard. Dimly, she was aware of their surroundings, and of Philip and Kiki nearby but none of that seemed to matter more than resting in Elias's arms.

TheDarkDM
2017-06-24, 01:01 AM
Elias

Standing in Ellarie's arms, concerns about The Stag or the werewolf problem seemed so far away. The sounds of Philip trying to get comfortable briefly attracted his attention, and a brief flicker of pride filled his chest. The boy had the right idea. A whisper escaped his lips, all he was capable of and all that was necessary so close to Ellarie's ear.

"Would you maybe like to lie down?"

Jade_Tarem
2017-06-24, 01:02 AM
Kiyoko

The tiefling's first clue that something was wrong came from the suddenly relaxed attitudes of her companions. By the time they'd attained their dreamy, opiate-addled outlook, she knew without a doubt that they'd run into a more subtle threat than a rampaging wolfman. Unfortunately, her options on convincing them all to leave were limited, especially if it was the kind of brain-addling effect her old comrades were notorious for using. Worse, she had little in the way of magic that could break them out of the effect.

She considered, very briefly, attempting to play along and bag whatever came for the 'helpless' captives, but the odd scent in the air told her that this wasn't a one-and-done trap. Allowing her companions to continue inhaling whatever it was could be bad for them, so instead Kiyoko began trying to follow the scent to its source to shut it down. That would leave her friends in a bad state, though. "Really, in the death forest? We did just get jumped by a twelve foot tall werewolf. At least take the usual precautions before you all retire. And... perhaps an invisibility spell wouldn't be out of the question?"

PepperP.
2017-06-24, 01:11 AM
Ellarie

Ellarie pulled away from Elias just enough to smile up at him and tugged the wizard down to the forest floor with her. Her forehead creased at Kiyoko's suggestion.

"But I won't be able to see him if he's invisible!" That seemed a pretty tragic turn of events to the skald, but Kiyoko really did seem concerned.

"I guess knowing your arms are still around me will have to be good enough." She turned back to Elias and wrapped herself up in his arms before casting invisibility on herself, strictly to allay Kiki's seemingly irrational fears.

Jade_Tarem
2017-06-24, 01:15 AM
Kiyoko

The tiefling started gagging as Ellarie spoke. From the smell, surely.

TheDarkDM
2017-06-24, 02:12 AM
Elias

Only slightly disturbed by Kiyoko's words, Elias waved his hands in the air and conjured a small portal to the heavenly gates. A glowing orb of golden light slipped through, and as it waited for orders he waved towards Kiyoko.

"Follow her orders."

His duties fulfilled, he returned the fullness of his attention to Ellarie.

Othniel
2017-06-24, 02:40 AM
Cassandra

Carnival

Ascending in their flying cauldron, the witch and druid couldn't spy Ambrosia from above the fairgrounds, but they did spy the minotaur now murderously stalking through the ice maze with a bloody axe. Some dozen people had entered the labyrinthine as the promise of a cash prize for being the first to reach the exit. There was no exit.

Meanwhile, Jaeger was now visible. It seemed he had succeeded in calming the irritated horse to an easy cantor and was now trying to subdue the still invisible sleigh driver by hitting it with his staff.

Hammerhead

As the dwarf rounded the bailing machine, the spindly creature wearing the too-big coat and out-of-fashion hat leapt from its hiding place with a triumphant squeal of, "Die, human!" and raked its green hued claws across Hammerhead's breastplate. It was in that moment that the fey creature realize that Hammerhead was both non-human (but still despised as a dwarf) and too heavily armored for his sneak attack. The fear in its eyes became obvious.

It's your turn. Attacking over or through the machines provides partial cover for your target.

As the druid joined Margot, she pointed Conall toward Hammerhead. "Aid Hammerhead, Conall."

Once they were airborn, Cassandra looked down on the carnival and pointed toward the maze. "Oh, let's stop that minotaur before he murders anymore people. Then we should head to the peep show. There's no telling what sort of mischief Ambrosia is up to there. If you see her, however, we should go right for her. If we stop her, maybe the rest will stop as well."

If we get within range, and assuming she can do so without hitting a civilian, Cassandra will cast Flame Strike on the Minotaur.

Lord Of Mantas
2017-06-24, 09:54 AM
Hammerhead

Hammerhead scowled at the Grimstalker. "On the off-chance that you aren't paste by the time I'm through with you, I had best not see you or your friends hurting these people ever again, fey! Or you'll answer to me!"

He then brought his hammer down on the Grimstalker's head...

Attack 1: [roll0]

Thanks to the Cornugon Smash feat, since Hammerhead is using Power Attack on both of these rolls, if he hits either with this attack or the next one, he can use Intimidate as a free action to attempt to demoralize the Grimstalker.

Intimidate: [roll2]

Attack 2: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4]

Nefarion Xid
2017-06-24, 06:39 PM
Arthfell

Thanks to an abundance of caution and her keen senses, Kiyoko heard something slither past her and continue north. A half second later, she felt a spell trying to worm its way into her mind, but shook off the effects with confidence. Having played its hand, the mass of thorn vines was now visible on the far side of one of the giant darkwoods. The thing crawled along like an octopus on the sea floor, gracefully rolling across a number of thick green tendrils and leaving little trace of its passing on the forest floor. At the center of the vines, there bloomed a single enormous white flower. Instead of a stamen, the jasmine bloom had a naked elf torso. The green half-woman had long pointed ears like an nymph and a shower of yellow hair spilled around her and the petals. Seeing Kiyoko had managed to resist her charms, she pouted. "Oh! Don't be mad. I just wanted to make some new friends. You like to cuddle ... don'tcha?"

You do. You do like to cuddle! Wait ... no. Definitely bad. Don't cuddle the plant lady. But maybe hear her out. Does she have snacks?
The creature is an Alraune, a sentient plant monster that produces a cloud of mind affecting pollen to lure victims into a pleasant torpor. She definitely wants to eat you though. Maybe. Hey, maybe this one is friendly?
It's your turn again. You may act freely if you succeed on a DC 26/24/22 Will Save for Elias&Philip/Kiyoko/Ellarie. If you fail your will save, any Morale effects on you, including Rage, are suppressed for your turn and you cannot take any hostile action towards the Alraune. If you fail, you may defend yourself and cast defensive spells or run away.

EDIT: I rolled for everyone to save time. Ellarie and Elias got natural 1s. Philip failed. Kiyoko and the Lantern Archon saved!

"MORTALS: I MUST ADVISE AGAINST CUDDLING WITH THE PLANT WOMAN! I DO NOT BELIEVE SHE HAS YOUR BEST INTERESTS AT HEART!" instructed the floating Christmas ornament.

Carnival - Hammerhead

The first blow merely stunned the fey. The second blow sunk his head and hat inside his chest cavity like so much whack-a-mole. Before he'd hit the floor, the other Grimstalker shouted his muffled and horrified surprise from elsewhere in the tent. Had Hammerhead known the Sylvan language, he would have been offended on the behalf of ducks everywhere. Abandoning his brother to an ignominious death of choking on his own skull, the Grimstalker fled with all possible haste and was headed out of the fairgrounds by the time Hammerhead got to the mouth of the tent.

Jade_Tarem
2017-06-24, 07:00 PM
Kiyoko

"Sure, but I prefer women who don't drown everyone in their perfume." Kiyoko readied her blade and called up the old anger management lessons, "And who share my gardening hobby." Barking at the archon in Celestial, she added, (Celestial) "Get above the monster and fire down at it."

Despite her glib words, the Minkaian woman was actually quite stressed by this scenario - companions addled, her only ally an adorable if questionably effective ball of light, versus a giant lotus... lady... thing that had jumped them out of nowhere and wanted to cuddle them to death. It was almost as disturbing as the half-undead naked chicks from that creepy necromancer's island off the coast of Kasai. That family vacation had gone to hell in a hurry.

Kiyoko will Bloodrage (Free Action), Combat Expertise for 2 points (Modifier) modified with Combat Stamina for 2 points (Modifier) and Power Attack (Modifier) Charge (Full Round). This will Provoke an AoO, but her AC will be 40 versus this attack thanks to Shield and Mobility being up.

The Lantern Archon will Move and Light Ray.

Attack: [roll2] vs. Touch AC
Damage: [roll3] untyped energy damage that ignores resistances and DR.

TheDarkDM
2017-06-24, 07:08 PM
Elias

Watching Kiyoko start fighting with the nice Alraune, Elias frowned at the oddness of it. He should, he was fairly sure, feel something. But at the moment, all he really wanted to do was relax. Perhaps, if Kiyoko could resolve her differences with the plant thing quickly, she could relax too.

"Could you finish this up, Kiki?"

He waggled his fingers, and Kiyoko was suffused with arcane speed.

Elias will Haste Kiyoko and the Lantern Archon

TheDarkDM
2017-06-24, 07:21 PM
Philip

Unsure of what to do and oddly aroused by the horrific plant creature fighting the terrifying oni barbarian, Philip decided that maybe caution was advisable.

Philip casts Protection from Evil

PepperP.
2017-06-24, 07:23 PM
Ellarie

Ellarie extricated her face from Elias's waistcoat just long enough to turn and peer at the plant monstrosity and sighed. None of that seemed terribly important.

"That's not important." She whispered at Elias and snuggled up against him once again.

"You're important. You're a hero." Her own words broke through the haze of her consciousness momentarily and she cast Heroism on the wizard as emphasis.

Jade_Tarem
2017-06-24, 09:26 PM
Kiyoko

"For the last time, it's Ki-yo-ko! Say it with me, Ki-"

"You're important. You're a hero."

"Huaaghle..." Kiyoko, or perhaps Kiki, dry heaved again. The smell sure was potent this close to the plant.

Nefarion Xid
2017-06-25, 12:13 AM
Arthfell

Ducking under a whipping vine, Kiyoko managed to inflict a small amount of damage on the body of the creature. A pleasant smelling sap sprayed from the wound. In one motion, the Alraune spun away from her attacker, flung a spray of conjured diamond dust from her hand, and vanished from sight with a single Sylvan word. Invisible once more, Kiyoko heard the mass of vines roll west.

Jade_Tarem
2017-06-25, 12:31 AM
Kiyoko

"Aww, hang on now. Don't leave." Closing her eyes, Kiyoko muttered her own arcane phrase and, with a gesture across her face, opened her gaze once again. "Look, I don't want to be a third wheel. Come here and share a sappy moment with me, you mysterious and sensually sinister plant woman" That was a load of premium-grade horse manure, but it was supported by the current evidence. (Celestial) "Archon, Aid me. I'll need the stamina."

With that, she took off after the monster. For love.

See Invisibility from Kiyoko. The archon is now in the square east of Kiyoko, one square up from ground level. The archon casts Aid for [roll0] temporary hp. There's a morale bonus too, but not one bigger than the one Kiyoko's rage grants.

TheDarkDM
2017-06-25, 01:01 AM
Elias and Philip

As the Alraune lashed out against Kiyoko, Elias felt the haze over his senses lift. The feel of Ellarie in his arms grew sharper, more real, but whatever pleasant thoughts they might have engendered were banished by his sudden comprehension of the situation. In a flash, his magic had taken him from Ellarie's arms, twenty feet east to where he could see the beast that had toyed with their emotions. Allowing his magic to take hold, he flew further, until he had a clear shot for the bolts of umbral shadow that flew from his hands.

"We will not be toyed with by an overgrown fern!"

For his part, Philip still wasn't quite sure what was going on. However, as he crawled to get a decent view of the fight, the roiling nest of brambles and narcotic flowers was enough for him to divine a course of action.

"Kill it with fire!"

Elias Shifts and then flies 40 feet. Philip crawls to the other corner of the tree. Elias then casts Gloomblind Bolts and Philip casts fireball, both on the Alraune.

Bolt 1 Touch Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll]4d6[roll]

Bolt 2 Touch Attack: [roll1]

Bolt 1 Crit Confirm: [roll2]

Bolt 2 Crit Confirm: [roll3]

If either bolt hits, the Alraune must succeed at a DC 21 Reflex Save or be Blinded for 1 round.

Fireball Damage (DC 18 Reflex Save for half): [roll4]

Jade_Tarem
2017-06-25, 01:20 AM
Kiyoko

There was a moment of shock as the plant took a swipe at her, but then as the rush of her particular destined bloodrage came back over her, she knew the trick to cutting this particular vegetable down to size. "Ellarie, shoot me if I start spacing out again!"

Then Team Apion showered it with nasty juju and her day got even better. Now all she had to do was keep her wits for a few more seconds...

Lord Of Mantas
2017-06-25, 09:05 PM
Hammerhead

Having dispatched one Grimstalker and lost the other, Hammerhead exited the tent and flew up to where Cassandra was. "I killed one of them, but the other got away. You see anything else going on?"

Nefarion Xid
2017-06-26, 01:04 AM
Arthfell

Infuriated with her difficult prey, the Alraune lashed wildly at the last place she'd seen Kiyoko. Two vines succeeded in slapping at her armor, but she couldn't find purchase or deal any real damage. Any witty banter she might have had prepared for combat was replaced with unintelligible screaming.

Jade_Tarem
2017-06-26, 01:15 AM
Kiyoko

"I've had about enough of your vapors. This ends now." Kiyoko centered herself, tapped in to her full martial skill and arcane destiny, and unleashed a barrage of magically accelerated attacks on her target, screaming right back at the weed woman.

Okay... time to put together the Hasted Full Attack with Power Attack, some Combat Stamina, Destined Strike, and probably Certain Strike if the RNG is uncooperative.

Attack 1: [roll0] (Destined Strike)

Attack 2: [roll2] (Haste Attack, Destined Strike)

Attack 3: [roll4] (Iterative, Destined Strike)

Nefarion Xid
2017-06-26, 01:26 AM
Arthfell

Amid a furious thrashing of thorny vines, Kiyoko barrelled into the monster's core and repeatedly struck at her torso. Dealt a fatal blow, the Alraune fell to a heap on the forest floor and twitched pathetically until Kiyoko ended what life remained. Finally free to visually apprise the creature, the party found a simple mithral band on her finger which Elias identified to be a Ring of Invisibility.

Jade_Tarem
2017-06-26, 01:30 AM
Kiyoko

The attacks landed, the first blow carving deeply into the plant lady's apparent neck, the follow ups dropping it in a tangle of vines, thorns, and sap. The tiefling planted a foot on the creature's "torso" and grinned fiendishly, even though her enemy could no longer see it. "This is why aggressive cuddles are a bad idea." She jammed the point of the nodachi into the mess and carved the petal-studded portion clean out, letting the foe stop twitching and fall limp. "Someone always ends up getting deflowered." The Minkaian tossed the petals aside, where they landed with a wet slapping noise. At that, finally, she let her rage fade, feeling fatigue overtake her, at least for the short term.

Kiyoko wandered back over to her companions, watching the drug-adjacent daze lift from them. "You two lovebirds finished? Because I'm gonna take a power nap now. I've earned it." With that, she dropped down to the ground, propped up against a nearby tree, and started dozing.

PepperP.
2017-06-26, 11:44 AM
Ellarie

Ellarie stood mute, her face pale but for two bright red splotches high on her cheeks. Her eyes went from Kiyoko to the plant woman she had dissected, studiously avoiding Elias's gaze as she watched the tiefling flop down and rest beneath a tree.

"Sure I'll guard while you rest." She muttered as she strode purposefully away from the group and found her own tree to rest beneath. She pulled her knees up to her chest and wrapped her arms around her legs protectively as the shame she felt for both her uselessness against the plant monster and the desire she had felt for Elias warred with her fury at being so easily manipulated.

Nefarion Xid
2017-06-26, 04:36 PM
Carnival

Margot sent her flying cauldron into a dive and caught the crispy minotaur with a hex, rendering him comatose before he hit the ground. Naturally, Hammerhead obliged by pulping the unconscious beast moments after he'd caught up with the rest of the party.

Once again meeting in the air so as to observe the current state of chaos of the carnival, it seemed as if the three most immediate threats had been dealt with. Jaeger had succeed in bringing the sleigh to a halt and had subdued the driver. He was currently in the process of unhitching the horse while the sleigh-load of children taunted him for spoiling their ride. To the east, a crowd of some thirty people were beginning to take their seats around long tables for the pie eating contest. To the south, there was still a line for the peep show, but it was getting noticeably shorter. Ambrosia still could not be seen.

Before they could decide on which fire to put out next, Cassandra noticed three riders approaching from the north. Born on indefatigable, swift, skeletal steeds, the riders made unholy time and soon the party could make out their features. Each wore a helmet with the antlers of a stag and carried a glistening crystalline glaive overhead. In their wake, what little greenery had appeared in late winter withered and a blanket of frost soon formed. There could be no doubt these were the Cold Riders that Stray had warned them about.

The riders will arrive at the fairgrounds in 5 rounds. The minotaur's greataxe is a fine weapon likely made by dwarves, though designed for a creature of the minotaur's size. Once you have the time, can identify it as a +1 Greataxe. The minotaur also has two empty potion bottles on his belt, but a third still contains a dose of Resist Energy (Cold). He also wears masterwork studded leather armor and carries a Masterwork Composite Longbow (+6 Str).

Lord Of Mantas
2017-06-26, 07:28 PM
Hammerhead

As the party cast their eyes upon the crystalline steeds and the withering plants in the rider's wake, Hammerhead gulped slightly, then grasped the Last Word's haft.

"All in favor of charging them before they kill everyone say aye."

Othniel
2017-06-26, 11:21 PM
Cassandra

Quickly, a plan was hashed out. Rejoining Conall for a moment, Cassandra cast a pair of spells on the wolf, increasing his natural armor and turning him into a rather strange, though fearsome-looking, huge cat. Then she placed him back under Hammerhead's direction while she remained with Margot in the (relative) safety of Crocker. "I'll wait for you to grab them with your spell before I drop another Flame Strike," she told the other woman.

Beast Shape III and Ironskin to Conall, then place him with Hammerhead. Margot is planning to use Black Tentacles to grab the Cold Riders, and then Cassandra will nuke them with Flame Strike. If all goes as planned.

TheDarkDM
2017-06-26, 11:22 PM
Elias

AS the Alraune fell lifeless to the ground, Elias was left breathing heavily in midair. The flood of warring emotions in the young wizard's heart were not banished the by lifting of the plant's enchanting spell. Indeed, without the overriding soporific call he was more conflicted than before. Kiyoko, of course, seemed unaffected by the ordeal as she lay down to sleep. But he could see Elllarie was suffering as well, perhaps even more acutely than himself. He felt a flush run up his neck as he glanced at where she sat against a nearby tree, and it took a few breaths to master himself enough to go and take a seat on the opposite side of the trunk.

"I'm...I'm not sure I've ever felt like that before. Are you alright?"

Lord Of Mantas
2017-06-26, 11:33 PM
Hammerhead

Looking to Conall, Hammerhead retrieved the flask of Halkon Honeytongue, then drained its contents, the smooth peaty burn flowing down his throat. Putting it back down, he looked at the wolf.

"Stand your ground. Let them come to us out of the tentacles."Hammerhead will drain the flask of Halkon Honeytongue, gaining the effects of Heroism, before flying to at least 10 feet outside the radius of wherever Margot is targeting the black tentacles.

PepperP.
2017-06-27, 01:03 AM
Ellarie

Even with her downcast eyes, Ellarie knew it was Elias who approached her. She swallowed hard as he voiced his concern. Though she was touched by it, she was also caught scrambling to make sense of her conflicting emotions and unsure how to answer him.

"I wasn't harmed. " Her voice was low as she tried to convey her emotions clearly.

"I would just... never wish to make you do anything you didn't want to do. No matter how much I wanted it. She rubbed the back of her hand over her eyes which has begun to water.

Nefarion Xid
2017-06-28, 06:31 PM
Carnival

The three riders slowed their pace and glance at one another in a silent conference. They seemed to say, are we all seeing a giant dwarf and a flying bathtub? Apparently satisfied with their conclusion, they began to fan out and extended their glaives towards the waiting heroes who suddenly found themselves inside a conjured hail storm. Fist sized chunks of ice sprung into existence and assaulted them from all directions at once.

Hammerhead and Conall take...
[roll0] bludgeoning
[roll1] cold damage

Margot, Cassandra, and everyone in Crocker take...
[roll2] bludgeoning
[roll3] cold damage

The area around you in a 40x40 cylinder is now Difficult Terrain, even to fly through. You cannot see the Riders while in the storm.

Lord Of Mantas
2017-06-28, 07:02 PM
Hammerhead

Gritting his teeth as the ice pelted against him, Hammerhead was nonetheless able to stand his ground.
Gotta get out of this storm. Can't fight riders we can't see.

"Conall! With me!"

And so Hammerhead advanced forward, out of the storm.

Double move to R16 to get out of the storm.

TheDarkDM
2017-06-29, 03:48 AM
Elias

"That I didn't..."

Realization, thus far uncharacteristically absent, finally dawned. There was a sharp intake of breath from the other side of the tree, Elias' emotions threatening to slip the fragile bonds he'd laid on them. He didn't seem to hear the words scrambling from his lips in his paroxysm of shame.

"No. No! I mean, I've never...I wanted...but I never thought you'd...and I'm not...you deserve better. Disaster follows everyone I care about, and if something happened I'd...you deserve better! It's safer if I stay alone. No matter how much I might want..."

He trailed off, his thoughts having caught up once again. Green eyes went wide, and from his vantage point Philp observed the curious phenomenon of a flush spreading through a face that had drained of blood. He might have commented on it, had it been a passerby. Or made light of it, had it been a friend. But Elias was family and master both, and his young cousin knew him well enough to catch the glimmer of Elias wounded heart in his watery eyes.

Jade_Tarem
2017-06-29, 10:56 AM
Kiyoko

After she'd announced her intent to rest, Ellarie and Elias had apparently decided to take this time to make anguished declarations to each other, and it... bothered Kiyoko. She wasn't really sure why. It took until the end of Elias's halting speech for her to pin it down - she didn't really want them to continue to feel whatever distress was plaguing them.

That was a new one, to be sure, and it left her in a bit of a bind. Her time in the Five Storms had been spent learning how to lie and intimidate and deliver some great comebacks and zingers, but emotional therapy was not among her skills. Still, she also wasn't the type to say nothing just because she wasn't sure of the best course of action. What the hell, everyone's bad at what they haven't tried, right?

"In all my years, I've never heard such a fantastic load of tripe." That... was probably a bit too harsh. The tiefling dialed her tone back. Fortunately, she was probably in her least intimidating pose: slumped against her tree in view of the humans, legs and arms just hanging where they fell, the occasional red spark skittering across her armor as she bled off the effects of her bloodrage. Quieter now, she continued, "Elias, you're smart enough to know by now that bad things just happen to people. All people, all the time. Doesn't have to be a reason why. Wandering off on your own won't change anyone's luck. If you two want to bump uglies or have a grand high romance or whatever, just do it. Maybe take it slow at first to be sure it isn't just the magical flower power love cloud talking, but don't scatter on the wind because a monster made you feel bad. That's what monsters do. That's why we call them monsters."

She took a breath. "Grandfather was wrong about a great many things, not the least of which was that he was fit to rule a country, but he was right about one thing - life is wasted on mortals. Humans don't have enough time to wallow in regrets." Without changing any of the rest of her posture, one armored arm shot out to point at them and her head rose, a challenge etched on her face. "You should have exactly enough regrets to avoid repeating mistakes! No more!"

Othniel
2017-06-29, 08:05 PM
Cassandra

Conall obediently moved alongside Hammerhead, teeth bared and a low growl emanating from his throat. In the air, Cassandra stretched her hand up to the sky, and called upon the power of nature, imbuing herself with the power to send down strikes of lightning. "Move us closer, Margot. I mean to fry these creatures, one way or another."

Casting Call Lightning (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/call-lightning).

PepperP.
2017-06-30, 01:18 AM
Ellarie

Ellarie's eyes rose to meet Elias's briefly, her​ face a mask of incredulity.

"Better than you?" Her voice was faint as though her words embarrassed her.

"You are the finest man I've ever known." Her eyes fell back to the forest floor for a moment until Kiyoko chimed in with her own words of wisdom. Ellarie's face clouded, and though she could not deny the lure of her friend's words, she shook her head.

"You're the one who deserves better. I... I've done some terrible things just to get by. I come from nothing. You should have a proper lady you can be proud to have by your side. You deserve that." She rubbed her eyes again and sniffled.

"I guess we both agree you should "stay alone" in any case." Ellarie turned to gaze at Elias wordlessly for a moment, her face a confused mixture of resignation and pain, before she turned away to study the sky surprised by the idyllic blue of the day, a stark contrast to the breathtaking grimness of her mood.

Jade_Tarem
2017-06-30, 11:39 PM
Kiyoko

The warrior held her pose for a moment before trying to nod off again. It appeared that lifelong insecurities and recent trauma were not wiped away by a single rousing speech made by an untrained foreigner. It was almost as though the Oni of the Five Storms were not a good source of therapeutic advice, so she elected to let the two humans talk it out.

zabbarot
2017-07-01, 03:42 PM
Margot

The witch pulled a bit of fleece from her pocket and focused on a spell as she guided Crocker out of the ice storm. Eleven identical sets of witch filled pots flew out of the storm and fanned out into a wide line, 110ft across. "That should create some confusion." Each illusionary Margot mimicked her movements as she spoke, and the additional Cassandras each looked equally impressed.

Nefarion Xid
2017-07-01, 03:52 PM
Carnival

Luckily, the frost-cloaked riders had evidently exhausted their long-range spells. They continued to gallop forward in a loose formation. Now 250 feet away, Hammerhead could see the sunken, frail figures inside the open-faced helms. Their armor had been made for a man of seven feet, but creatures within were pale mockeries of their former selves.

Lord Of Mantas
2017-07-02, 12:05 AM
Hammerhead

Hammerhead advanced closer as well, then dropped into a guard stance.

"Steady, Conall."

Hammerhead will move forward 30 feet, then use Total Defense.

Othniel
2017-07-02, 06:34 PM
Cassandra

Conall moved forward, matching the dwarf's speed, and hunkered down. In the air, Cassandra held her fire, waiting for the riders to come closer.

Conall moves up, takes Total Defense action. Because why not?

Nefarion Xid
2017-07-03, 07:25 PM
Carnival

The riders' formation continued to broaden with the two on the flank pulling ahead. Moving at a measured gallop, they set their glaives for a charge and began to converge on the imposing dwarf. (They are now each 90 feet from Hammerhead).

Lord Of Mantas
2017-07-03, 08:35 PM
Hammerhead

"Do not let your heart waver."

Hammerhead said this as much to himself as he did to Conall, hefting Last Word and preparing to dodge if needed.

Still TD'ing.

Othniel
2017-07-03, 09:12 PM
Cassandra

Cassandra held up her holly and mistletoe and called forth a rain of dirt, gravel, and pebbles into the area between two of the Cold Riders, pelting the fell creatures with earth and (hopefully) slowing them.

Casting Stone Call on the marked area of the map. All creatures within the area of effect take [roll0] bludgeoning damage (no save, no SR). The effected area is Difficult Terrain for the next 9 rounds. Conall will ready an attack against the next enemy that comes within his threatened area.

Nefarion Xid
2017-07-04, 05:07 PM
Carnival

As Margot concentrated on the second squickiest spell in existence, a mass of writhing black tentacles ropes of strawberry taffy erupted from the ground around the lead rider. The monstrous undead stag beneath him quickly succumbed to the myriad appendages. The rider himself was merely annoyed. He effortlessly vaulted from the saddle and strode through the morass untouched. Pointing his glaive towards Margot, he hissed in Sylvan, "Bring me the arcanist's alive! Destroy the rest."

The rider on the left skirted the effect entirely and continued on his charge. Meanwhile, the right-most rider simply pressed through Cassandra's area of called stones. Still in eerie unison, they pointed their rime covered black gauntlets towards the dwarf.

Riders 2 and 3 are casting Deep Slumber on Hammerhead.

TheDarkDM
2017-07-04, 05:38 PM
Elias

Expecting some response from Ellarie, Kiyoko's interjection knocked what little wind remained in him out of Elias. He'd grown accustomed to his companion's lack of sentimentality, but having it directed so squarely at him in so tenuous a moment left him stunned. There was no reply he could give, in truth. At least, none he was confident Kiyoko would listen to.

But while he was trying to formulate some reply, Ellarie began speaking anew. With a start, he realized his own pain had served to open her old wounds as well. Pushing himself upright, he moved alongside the skald and placed a hand tentatively on her shoulder.

"I...there is no one I would be prouder to be with."

PepperP.
2017-07-04, 05:54 PM
Ellarie

Her gaze met the wizard's in surprise and she blinked as he tentatively placed his hand upon her shoulder, not completely confident she had heard him right. She glanced around the clearing though it held no further confirmation for her. She chewed her bottom lip out of nervous habit and covered Elias's hand with her own almost shyly as though she still did not believe she had the right to do so.

"I would like that." She said softly, silently wishing this had all happened away from the eyes and ears of the others. Ellarie had never planned to disclose her feelings for her friend to him, as she was sincere in her estimation that he deserved somebody proper. The return of his esteem was a gift that she was unwilling to throw away to her own insecurities, however potent they might be.

Nefarion Xid
2017-07-04, 05:58 PM
THREAD LIMIT REACHED
YUB NUB COMMENCING

--------------- No more posts below this line ------------------