PDA

View Full Version : Think it is time we split Pathfinder and 3.5?

killem2
2016-11-26, 07:58 PM
Of the 17k plus threads in 3.5 over 7k of them are tagged pathfinder alone. That's not counting threads that are GM help but for pathfinder, or just posts that people didn't want to tag.

They really aren't the same game anymore. Just throwing that out there.

Togath
2016-11-26, 11:51 PM
To be fair, stuff like d20 modern seems to go in that section as well. My impression is it's meant as sort of "stuff based originally on the 3rd edition DnD ruleset" area.

Fable Wright
2016-11-27, 04:19 AM
To be fair, stuff like d20 modern seems to go in that section as well. My impression is it's meant as sort of "stuff based originally on the 3rd edition DnD ruleset" area.

While we're wondering about things to add or modify in the forums, I'd like to request an upvote button. It would be nice to just voice my seconding of this answer, without having to type a full post contributing to the discussion to do so.

137beth
2016-11-27, 10:40 AM
I don't think that that is just your impression: it's the actual description of the forum

The forum for conversations specifically related to the rules and procedures of Dungeons & Dragons 3rd Edition, 3.5 Edition, or any fantasy game using the d20 system or a variant thereof (commercially published or not).

An upshot to having all the d20 fantasy systems combined is that a lot of advice carries between them, particularly DM Help. Yes, some specific builds aren't going to transfer perfectly. But when one "system" is almost entirely copy and pasted from another, having them in the same subforum is fine.

They really aren't the same game anymore. Just throwing that out there.
The 3.0/3.5/d20 forum also hosts discussions on Arcana Evolved, True20, and Legend. And each of those systems actually contain a lot of original content and radical changes to the base of the game. Should those be moved to their own forum too?

Boci
2016-11-27, 10:41 AM
Furthermore, a fair few people play 3.P, liberally mixing books from both games. Where would they post if the forums were split? In both? The tags I think are a good way to handle how different the two systems are.

Palanan
2016-11-27, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by killem2
They really aren't the same game anymore.

Originally Posted by Boci
...a fair few people play 3.P, liberally mixing books from both games.

I have a whole shelf of 3.5 books, which I'm not shy about using in my Pathfinder campaign. And I often have questions straddling both 3.5 and Pathfinder, so the current format works much better for me. I'm not sure how I'd post a 3.5+PF question if Pathfinder was split away from the main forum.

For my part, I'd like to see a forum tag for threads which cover 3.P, since right now people are using [3.5+PF] or similar notations, which are fairly clunky. A dedicated tag would be much easier for people to recognize and respond to.

Roland St. Jude
2016-11-27, 02:23 PM
Sheriff: Thanks for the suggestion.