PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Help me optimize two dwarf characters

Klorox
2016-11-27, 11:58 AM
Hello all. I'm joining a preexisting game. I'm coming in as a 6th level character. I want to play a dwarf (they're my favorite and they fit this party perfectly). I also want to be a melee character.

Idea 1: I am thinking of a barbarian as one of my ideas. Coming in at level 6, should I be single classed or multiclassed? Is the +2 STR from mountain better than the extra HP from being a hill dwarf (the armor proficiency bonus doesn't matter)?

Idea 2: my second character idea is a bit weirder. It's playing a dwarf bladelock. I'd either go with one level of fighter for heavy armor, or I'd go with the mountain dwarf and take advantage of the medium armor proficiency.

We are rolling 4d6, and rerolling 1's, so stats in this game will undoubtedly be high.

Which idea is a more effective character, both in melee and for out of combat situations? How do I best optimize either character?

Thanks!

bid
2016-11-27, 01:51 PM
Why not both?

You can barbarian 2 / bladelock 5, as long as you have Str16, Dex14 and Cha14.

You won't be able to choose until you roll and see how it fits best.

INDYSTAR188
2016-11-27, 02:06 PM
I think the Battlerager Barbarian sounds really fun (I don't really know how OP it is but I'm sure they'd be just fine). I wonder if tavern brawler might not be a good feat choice too?

gfishfunk
2016-11-27, 02:06 PM
Barbarian Blade lock is fantastic, imo as it is what I play, but you generally want more warlock. A lot of barbarian and a little lock is not as good as a lot of lock and a little barbarian. That being said, I see little reason to level up beyond five in barbarian either way. It is not as interesting a class after five. You don't really get new features, but you do get better at what you already do (additional rage, additional rage damage).

The fighter lock works great too. Fighter is great with almost everything.

If you want, you could start as a level five barbarian and one level warlock and look at leveling only warlock, OR go barbarian five and start on fighter.

Dwarf is good for either build. I would encourage Dragonborn as another option. The damage resistance is good for barbarian (redundant with bear totem), and good for warlock, and especially good for a barbarian warlock multiclass.

Naanomi
2016-11-27, 02:09 PM
Deuregar instead of Mountain Dwarf should be considered

Klorox
2016-11-27, 02:47 PM
I don't see a lot of synergy between a raging dwarf and a spell casting class like warlock.

gfishfunk
2016-11-27, 02:56 PM
I don't see a lot of synergy between a raging dwarf and a spell casting class like warlock.

It's about options. Spells like Armor of Agayths and Mirror Image have a decent duration and no concentration so you can use them and then rage.

With a split build, some encounters you are casting and some you are raging. Spells reset on a short rest and rage reset on a long rest.

Arkhios
2016-11-27, 11:26 PM
I think the Battlerager Barbarian sounds really fun (I don't really know how OP it is but I'm sure they'd be just fine). I wonder if tavern brawler might not be a good feat choice too?

Have a look at this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?493376-Bottlerager-(a-k-a-Drunken-Dwarf-Battlerager)-Spiked-Armor-question) maybe? Battlerager is awesome, and imho, Tavern Brawler + Grappler is a must, because Thibbledorf Pwent was awesome Battlerager!

Edit: also, 6th level is when battlerager definitely begins to shine, with the ability to gain temp HP whenever they use reckless attack while raging (I'd recommend always, but that's a personal opinion).
In fact, if you follow the plan I did for mine, using shield as your improvised weapon, you could slam your target with a shield and then grapple it at the end of your turn as a bonus action (or grapple first and then pummel your target once, or twice depending of extra attack), and since you only need one hand to grapple, you can still benefit from the shield bonus to AC. Not optimal perhaps, but I believe it could be fun.

eldamir
2016-11-27, 11:51 PM
Mountain Dwarf Bbn 8 / Ftr 12
Tavern Brawler (for 18str at l4) and Grappler
I know you're rolling stats, but 15/13/14/10/8/12 on the standard array sets you up nicely..
Hit them with your axe until you get tired of that, then grab them and slam them into the wall repeatedly..
I think Frenzy fits thematically with the brawler feel, but bearbarian is probably a more optimized route

Or (not a barb, i know - but fun too)

Mtn Dwarf 6 Ftr / 14 Pal
Fell Handed Feat (from UA), Great Weapon Master..
Plate and a Great Axe..
Another nuke-them-from-orbit sort of character

agnos
2016-11-28, 12:32 AM
I'd recommend Paladin 2/Warlock 4. You still get heavy armor by starting Paladin, but you also get access to use Warlock slots for smiting.

Warlock vs Barb, it really depends on what the party makeup already is. If the party needs face skills, then Warlock is better. If the party lacks tracking or is focusing towards being sneaky, the Barb gets much better.