PDA

View Full Version : conjure fey.... army?

Foxhound438
2016-11-27, 03:41 PM
So the idea is upcast conjure fey for a Korred, then that casts conjure elemental for a galeb duhr, then that animates 2 boulders to get near-copies of itself. Your 7th level spell gets you a CR7 fey, a CR6 elemental, and the CR6 elemental's 2 companions, for 4 creatures with total HP of 357, all resistant to nonmag. BPS, and have in total 5 attacks dealing an average of 84 damage without the roll damage on the galebs. Seems solid, no?

pwykersotz
2016-11-27, 03:50 PM
It assumes that the DM is either ruling that you can choose the fey (a common ruling) or else giving it to you anyway, and assumes that the houserule that any summon casts with your own spell slots isn't in play.

Both seem like solid assumptions for many tables, and this looks like a brutal combo.

NecroDancer
2016-11-27, 03:59 PM
Are Korreds from Volo's?

Foxhound438
2016-11-27, 04:26 PM
Are Korreds from Volo's?

yes they are

dejarnjc
2016-11-27, 11:21 PM
It assumes that the DM is either ruling that you can choose the fey (a common ruling) or else giving it to you anyway, and assumes that the houserule that any summon casts with your own spell slots isn't in play.

Both seem like solid assumptions for many tables, and this looks like a brutal combo.

I think that Korreds are the only CR7 fey so DM has no say then I assume.

JBPuffin
2016-11-27, 11:41 PM
I think that Korreds are the only CR7 fey so DM has no say then I assume.

Excluding Rule 0, which we usually do when talking about book-legality stuff, you're right as far as I can tell, dejarnjc.

How do you, as a character, know that the korred has that ability, though? And how do they know that the galeb duhr can do its thing? If you can jump through those potential hurdles reliably, then you have yourself a pretty solid mid-level hit squad...but by the time you can cast a 7th-level spell, you're facing creatures almost entirely of higher CR than the ones you're summoning, and even with bounded accuracy, how well does that really scale compared to your other options? (Honestly, I don't know - that question's entirely serious and curiosity-based.)

Foxhound438
2016-11-28, 12:22 AM
How do you, as a character, know that the korred has that ability, though? And how do they know that the galeb duhr can do its thing?

a well-read wizard could be expected to know a thing or two about a thing or two.

There is another CR7 fey, though, but any given DM I know is fine letting the player tell them what options there are rather than scouring the books for half an hour in game time trying to find something specifically not what they want.

DKing9114
2016-11-28, 02:45 PM
Keep in mind that the one lynchpin in this combo is your concentration. If your enemy is a spellcaster, they will both be able to recognize this and have several options for breaking your concentration. If that happens, you now have a hostile CR 7 and its own minions mixed into the encounter.

Foxhound438
2016-11-28, 04:12 PM
Keep in mind that the one lynchpin in this combo is your concentration. If your enemy is a spellcaster, they will both be able to recognize this and have several options for breaking your concentration. If that happens, you now have a hostile CR 7 and its own minions mixed into the encounter.

that is in fact the crux of the thing- luckily, as a level 13+ party that shouldn't add too much trouble, especially if you can break the korred's concentration, making the galeb hostile to it- maybe also you and everyone else, but nonetheless if you break the korred's concentration you can let the summons duke it out on the side and probably be fine until you win the actual fight.