PDA

View Full Version : No Man's Sky v1.1

Sajiri
2016-11-27, 06:29 PM
There was a lot of anger surrounding NMS at launch, being that many pre-release screenshots and videos (that remained on the official steam page for months to come) showed a game that was not what was delivered in the end. It was fun to explore and relax with for a while, but quickly the lack of content made the game, well, dull.

It seems after four months of silence, the Foundation Update (https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/5f5o4k/introducing_foundations_update_v11_and_full_patch/) has been rolled out (for PS4, not sure if it's out on PC just yet) that introduces base building, farming, freighters, fleets, various tweaks and fixes. Some people are saying it added more content than what the base game came with, and while Im excited and want to see more, it still has a ways to go. It definitely seems like a step in the right direction though.

I've yet to play with the update since my ps4 takes forever to download anything, but I think I will definitely have to give this game another chance. Hopefully someday we will get the desert planets with behemoth snakes that were shown in the pre-release videos

Eldan
2016-11-28, 04:29 AM
I never really saw the point of base building in this game. It seems to basically go against everything it stands for. It's a game about flying around and finding new things, while surely, building a large base means you have to go back to it.

I'd rather they add more things to find. More varied bases and ruins, more landscape forms. Certainly a lot more plants.

Yuki Akuma
2016-11-28, 05:05 AM
I never really saw the point of base building in this game. It seems to basically go against everything it stands for. It's a game about flying around and finding new things, while surely, building a large base means you have to go back to it.

I'd rather they add more things to find. More varied bases and ruins, more landscape forms. Certainly a lot more plants.

You can teleport back to your base from any space station, then teleport back to the space station you just left from. It doesn't stop you from exploring as much as you want.

Eldan
2016-11-28, 05:36 AM
Still. I don't want bases in this game. I want to be a roaming explorer. I mean, I suppose i don't have to build them, but i'd rather see the effort used on other things. Like more actual variety in plant and animal life and behaviour.

Sajiri
2016-11-28, 05:38 AM

It sounds like there's been adjustments to make the planets more varied. At first I thought base building wouldn't fit well with this type of game but considering you can teleport to and from, it doesnt seem bad at all.

Chen
2016-11-29, 07:58 AM
Picked this up on Steam. Found the mouse sensitivity STILL doesn't work in either the menu or the config file, leaving the game spinning all over the damn place with the slightest mouse movement nearly making me physically ill. I read about this sensitivity issue when the game was first released. How could they not have fixed this in this monster patch they released? Anyways refunded it, they're not getting my money.

GloatingSwine
2016-11-29, 09:54 AM
Still. I don't want bases in this game. I want to be a roaming explorer. I mean, I suppose i don't have to build them, but i'd rather see the effort used on other things. Like more actual variety in plant and animal life and behaviour.

You can apparently also have a superfreighter that you can summon into systems that has way more inventory etc.

If Final Fantasy XV wasn't sitting at home waiting for me, I'd probably give it a shake. I wasn't as annoyed at NMS as most, it just didn't hold me for long. Something tangible like a base you can get staff for that gives you new stuff and thangs and new reasons to go and get more stuff and thangs might help.

(That and give the survival DLC for The Division a go).

AMX
2016-11-29, 12:16 PM
Exploring a procedurally-generated world feels kind of empty and pointless to me.
Well, except possibly DF-style emergent stories, but I haven't heard anything in that direction about NMS, and how likely would I be to actually find something interesting if I have to sift through ULONG_MAX star systems?

But it sounds like it'd be a neat backdrop for futzing around with base building - depending on how this develops, I might be willing to drop a twenty on it at some point.

Eldan
2016-11-29, 01:09 PM
You can apparently also have a superfreighter that you can summon into systems that has way more inventory etc.

If Final Fantasy XV wasn't sitting at home waiting for me, I'd probably give it a shake. I wasn't as annoyed at NMS as most, it just didn't hold me for long. Something tangible like a base you can get staff for that gives you new stuff and thangs and new reasons to go and get more stuff and thangs might help.

(That and give the survival DLC for The Division a go).

Oh, I didn't hate NMS at all. I played it for quite a bit. It was nice to look at, it did have some variation, it was a nice relaxation game. But it felt very empty after a bit.

But I like where this is going. I was very convinced for a bit that the developers had just vanished. If they are actually still doing stuff with it, well, my opinion just went up a lot. I'd just rather have more stuff to look at whiel exploring than stuff to build, but we'll see. There's the first mods coming out with more animal models and new landscapes, so that helps.