PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Making Mumm-Ra in D20

Dragonexx
2016-11-27, 07:42 PM
So I want to stat out Mumm-Ra for a Kingdom Hearts game. Any idea how I would go about doing this? I was planning on using homebrew, but I want to look at any canon options before that. For the record, Mumm-Ra will be based off the 2011 tv show as I haven't seen (nor plan on seeing in the foreseeable future) the original.

Jack_Simth
2016-11-27, 08:05 PM
So I want to stat out Mumm-Ra for a Kingdom Hearts game. Any idea how I would go about doing this? I was planning on using homebrew, but I want to look at any canon options before that. For the record, Mumm-Ra will be based off the 2011 tv show as I haven't seen (nor plan on seeing in the foreseeable future) the original.

Thematically, he seems to be a mummy... although as it's self-inflicted, mechanically he's probably a lich (ESPECIALLY with the way his sarcophagus works...). Maybe a Wizard, maybe an Artificer, an argument might be made for warlock.

RedMage125
2016-11-27, 11:53 PM
This is gonna sound blasphemous to some, but the 2011 series was WAY better.
Before the slings and arrows start, I am a HUGE fan of the original. But if I'm being fair, the newer iteration had more character development, actual growth, and a solid story that moved at a decent pace. The original was meant to be more episodic.

Thematically, he seems to be a mummy... although as it's self-inflicted, mechanically he's probably a lich (ESPECIALLY with the way his sarcophagus works...). Maybe a Wizard, maybe an Artificer, an argument might be made for warlock.

I would say warlock, for sure. In both series, it is clear that Mum-Ra's power comes FROM the "Ancient Spirits of Evil". He has some kind of pact with them, and this pact is subject to penalties if Mumm-Ra fails to uphold his end of the bargain.

For his transformation, I would DM adjudicate it as a unique power that alters his stats completely, much like Shapechange.

Bryan
2016-11-28, 12:28 AM
I actually thought the 2011 series had a lot of potential and would have loved to see one more season.

Anyway, I would probably gestalt Sorcerer and cleric. He was pretty worshipful of the Ancient Spirits of Evil. Though I do think those blasts were pretty warlock-ish.

Grek
2016-11-28, 03:48 AM
He's a NE Cleric Lich of Strength and Trickery. His blasts are spontaneous Inflict Wounds spells. He can disguise himself using the Trickery Domain (either with disguise self or the actual disguise skill) and his "Ancient Powers of Evil" ritual is a combination prayer to restore spell slots and casting Enlarge Person/Bull's Strength/maybe Magic Vestment on himself in order to boost his combat power.

Gruftzwerg
2016-11-28, 02:01 PM
Imho Warlock 12/ X is the way to go:

- you can fluff the Eldritch Blast to look like lighting

- "Craft Contingent Spell" is how Mumm-Ra casts most of his Spells (only few of his abilities are in his daily repertoire, most are once in a while or one time only spells).

- To escape, he has setup 2 Craft Contingent Spells: true resurrection and greater teleport. This is the reason why he needs so long re-preparation time when he fails. He needs time to setup the contingent spells.

- Mumm-Ra's fighting form is just "Divine Power" (Craft Contingent Spell) + fly invocation. DP seems to be made 24h duration somehow (with his Sarcophagus maybe?).

- Shapeshifting/Alter Self (maybe several times as contingent spell prepared for extended duration)

- The Sarcophagus is an evil Crafting Device. For each 24h Mumm-Ra spends in it, he gains a pool of crafting XP which he can spend on "Craft Contingent Spell(s)".

- The Pool can be used 1/week to summon an evil being and use a few Divination Spells at will.

and as a last note: Mumm-Ra needs high UMD to be able to use the Sword of Omen. And Warlocks are good at UMD with their take 10 ability.

edit: you could take at lvl 18, with a feat, a Dragonfire Adept "lesser Invocation" and get "Humanoid Shape" for his disguise forms.

Red Fel
2016-11-28, 02:54 PM
He's a NE Cleric Lich of Strength and Trickery. His blasts are spontaneous Inflict Wounds spells. He can disguise himself using the Trickery Domain (either with disguise self or the actual disguise skill) and his "Ancient Powers of Evil" ritual is a combination prayer to restore spell slots and casting Enlarge Person/Bull's Strength/maybe Magic Vestment on himself in order to boost his combat power.

Going with this one. Let's review what he can do:
Energy blasts. Can be fluffed as basically any damaging spell.
Flight. There's a spell for that, or an invocation if you go Warlock.
Ancient Spirits of Evil, transform this decayed form to Mumm-Ra, the Ever-Living! The spell is called Righteous Might (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/righteousMight.htm).
Going toe-to-toe with the hero in melee. The spell is also called Divine Power (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/divinePower.htm).
Divination in that funky cauldron. The spell is called Scrying (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/scrying.htm).
Ancient Spirits of Evil. It's called being a Cleric.
And a bunch of other stuff easily explained with spells.

So, yeah. Cleric. If you want to be more thematic, you can also go Dry Lich, because mummy + divine spellcasting, although regular Lich is an option, as is a Mummy Lord (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/mummy.htm#mummyLord).