PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Playable Race: Nymphborn

acire
2016-11-28, 01:54 AM
Nymphborn

Nymphborn are the descendants of a Nymph & another race, usually a Human.They thrive in forests and are frequently trained as druids.

Adulthood
25 years

Barbarian, Rogue, Sorcerer
+1d6

Bard, Fighter, Paladin, Ranger
+2d6

Cleric, Druid, Monk, Wizard
+3d6

Middle Age
70 years

Old
100 years

Venerable
130 years

Maximum Age
+3d20

A Nymphborn is roughly the same height and weight as a half-elf (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/description.htm#heightAndWeight).

Ability Scores: +2 Wisdom, +2 Constitution. Nymphborn are hardy and perceptive due to their fey ancestor and strong connection to nature.
+2 on all Swim checks. They can take 10 on all Swim checks.
+2 on Will saving throws
Spell-like Ability: Goodberry 1/day
Languages: Sylvan & Common
Bonus Languages: Any, except secret languages.
Low-light Vision: Nymphborn can see twice as far as humans in conditions of starlight & torchlight

remetagross
2016-11-28, 10:02 AM
The idea is not bad, but why this array of ability modifiers? Nymphs are known for their enormous Charisma score rather than for their Wisdom or Constitution. Moreover, a race with a net total of +4 in ability modifiers, especially when Constitution gets a +2, might be a bit too powerful for a LA+0 race.

I think this does not reflect the D&D Nymph enough. Here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/nymph.htm) is the monster. Given its ability array, a single Cha +2 bonus might seem in order.

Nice played with the Swim bonus, this is this kind of detail that helps capturing the identity of a monster without being too powerful.

Finally, Half- creatures usually inherit a great deal of the abilities of their nonhuman parent. The Half-Dragon, Half-Fey, Half-Celestial template all warrant a LA +2. For a Nymphborn, you might simply suggest the character has a Nymph as a distant ancestor rather than as a direct parent.

dragonjek
2016-11-28, 11:31 AM
The idea is not bad, but why this array of ability modifiers? Nymphs are known for their enormous Charisma score rather than for their Wisdom or Constitution. Moreover, a race with a net total of +4 in ability modifiers, especially when Constitution gets a +2, might be a bit too powerful for a LA+0 race.

I think this does not reflect the D&D Nymph enough. Here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/nymph.htm) is the monster. Given its ability array, a single Cha +2 bonus might seem in order.

Nice played with the Swim bonus, this is this kind of detail that helps capturing the identity of a monster without being too powerful.

Finally, Half- creatures usually inherit a great deal of the abilities of their nonhuman parent. The Half-Dragon, Half-Fey, Half-Celestial template all warrant a LA +2. For a Nymphborn, you might simply suggest the character has a Nymph as a distant ancestor rather than as a direct parent.

I think that it was meant in the lines of the Dragonborn race, rather than a specific Half-Fey of Nymphs. I agree with you on the Charisma modifier--I mean, the Nymph's whole schtick is that they're insanely, impossibly beautiful.

To acire:
I personally suggest you switch out Goodberry for either blinding/charming/dazzling/stunning spell of some sort. Perhaps make an ability of similar theme as, but at much reduced power compared to, the monster abilities of the Nymph. Although the stats are fine the race at the moment is just... bland. This may be due to the complete lack of fluff (a lot of people disregard this, but it really is important to properly understand the extent to which the stat block represents the idea you're trying to present), but you've given them no sense of racial or cultural identity here. A bonus to Diplomacy wouldn't be out of place, either, or a bonus to a specific use of Diplomacy if you prefer.

acire
2016-11-29, 08:35 PM

Nymborn are more along the lines of Dragonborn than Half- races. Distant ancestor was supposed to be the suggestion; sorry for the confusion.

I will say that the ability modifiers may have been influenced by unstated background information: A lot of nymphborn pop up in barbarian tribes that have had long ... "alliances" with nymphs. Nymphborn are hardy because they usually grow up in societies that encourage that. I see your point about Charisma making more sense, though.

I think that it was meant in the lines of the Dragonborn race, rather than a specific Half-Fey of Nymphs. I agree with you on the Charisma modifier--I mean, the Nymph's whole schtick is that they're insanely, impossibly beautiful.

To acire:
I personally suggest you switch out Goodberry for either blinding/charming/dazzling/stunning spell of some sort. Perhaps make an ability of similar theme as, but at much reduced power compared to, the monster abilities of the Nymph. Although the stats are fine the race at the moment is just... bland. This may be due to the complete lack of fluff (a lot of people disregard this, but it really is important to properly understand the extent to which the stat block represents the idea you're trying to present), but you've given them no sense of racial or cultural identity here. A bonus to Diplomacy wouldn't be out of place, either, or a bonus to a specific use of Diplomacy if you prefer.

I'll look into changing the SLA. This is my first time creating a race; I might've jumped the gun on posting.

I don't know why I left out the fluff; I love reading it.

Thanks for the input, y'all!