PDA

View Full Version : Reducing damage

Lance Tankmen
2016-11-28, 03:39 AM
So as dm I've played it if you make a save taking half damage then that's half, and a rogue can use evasion further cutting it in half then damage resistance for another half. Example 50 cuts to 25 then cuts to 12 then cuts to 6 damage total taken. Is that correct?

I understand resistance can't stack but other wise the above works?

some guy
2016-11-28, 04:26 AM
A succesful dex save with evasion reduces the damage taken to 0.
A non-succesful dex save with evasion and resistance, would take it to 25%, so in your example it would be 50 damage, evasion for half, resistance for half, so 12 damage.

Lance Tankmen
2016-11-28, 05:14 AM
My bad I intended to say the rogue ability at level 7 that allows you to take a reaction to reduce the damage by half

MrStabby
2016-11-28, 05:16 AM
My bad I intended to say the rogue ability at level 7 that allows you to take a reaction to reduce the damage by half

Evasion, the level 7 ability doesn't use a reaction. Do you mean uncanny dodge at level 5?

Lance Tankmen
2016-11-28, 07:13 AM
Oops yeah uncanny dodge sorry at work no phb. But basically let's say the rogue gets hit for 50 fire damage from fire ball. He fails the save so with his level 7 ability he takes half still. Then he uses uncanny dodge to half it again and finally has fire resistance so he halves it again to 6 correct ?

xanderh
2016-11-28, 07:27 AM
Oops yeah uncanny dodge sorry at work no phb. But basically let's say the rogue gets hit for 50 fire damage from fire ball. He fails the save so with his level 7 ability he takes half still. Then he uses uncanny dodge to half it again and finally has fire resistance so he halves it again to 6 correct ?

Uncanny dodge only works on attacks. Attacks are defined as anything with an attack roll, as well as anything that calls itself an attack. A dex save is not an attack, unless the ability explicitly calls itself an attack. Fireball (and all other spells and abilities that use a save and no attack roll) don't say they're attacks, so they aren't.
You can't use uncanny dodge on fireball or anything else with a save.

hymer
2016-11-28, 07:33 AM
Attacks are defined as anything with an attack roll, as well as anything that calls itself an attack.

IIRC, that's the definition if you're in doubt whether something is an attack.

xanderh
2016-11-28, 07:44 AM
IIRC, that's the definition if you're in doubt whether something is an attack.

Specific wording is "if there's ever any doubt". However, that is a silly way to argue that fireball counts as an attack, because it can be countered immediately with "I'm not sure it is an attack". The moment that phrase is uttered, the clause comes into effect, and fireball isn't an attack.

hymer
2016-11-28, 08:52 AM
Specific wording is "if there's ever any doubt". However, that is a silly way to argue that fireball counts as an attack, because it can be countered immediately with "I'm not sure it is an attack". The moment that phrase is uttered, the clause comes into effect, and fireball isn't an attack.

Fair enough. :smallbiggrin:

Lance Tankmen
2016-11-28, 04:26 PM
So then a dragons breath weapon counts as an attack or no ?

lunaticfringe
2016-11-28, 04:47 PM
It has a Save and isn't an Attack Roll vs AC so no it is not an Attack under the above definition.

Erys
2016-11-28, 04:52 PM
So then a dragons breath weapon counts as an attack or no ?

No.

There is no attack roll with Breathe Weapons, only saves.