PDA

View Full Version : Resistance to slashing, etc etc non magical

Lance Tankmen
2016-11-28, 03:44 AM
So does it bother anyone else that every monster in the BRB has resistance to weapons unless it's magical but barbarian's and most other items are just plain resistance ? I don't know seems unrealistic.

Blue Lantern
2016-11-28, 04:54 AM
Not really, a certain suspension of disbelief is in order whenever you are dealing with fiction, fantasy in particular.

To quote one of the producer from the show Merlin about anachronism in a fantasy settings "People complain about the tomatoes, but oddly enough no one's commented on the dragon"

djreynolds
2016-11-28, 05:06 AM
So does it bother anyone else that every monster in the BRB has resistance to weapons unless it's magical but barbarian's and most other items are just plain resistance ? I don't know seems unrealistic.

Yes. It does.

Lance Tankmen
2016-11-28, 05:12 AM
Do you think it would be game breaking to say that magic weapons and attacks simply ignore resistance and immunity as a global rule ? I mean few things outside of I think demons and the odd enemy npc with a magic weapon have them. Would it really do much in terms of CR if in turn the PC all have at least a +1 magic something

djreynolds
2016-11-28, 05:25 AM
Do you think it would be game breaking to say that magic weapons and attacks simply ignore resistance and immunity as a global rule ? I mean few things outside of I think demons and the odd enemy npc with a magic weapon have them. Would it really do much in terms of CR if in turn the PC all have at least a +1 magic something

You might anger the bear totem barbarians out there.

But for the war cleric, who gets this perk at 17th level, basically free stone skin, I might let it slide for this one instance.

But the thing is with bounded accuracy, you are basically hitting most creatures out there, a horned devil that we just fought has an AC18. And we are 11th, so most of my hits landed.... he just took half damage.

But at lower levels where magic is scarce, goblins are no longer feared.

I would have to say no, except maybe for the war cleric, but even no then.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-11-28, 05:56 AM

It's not game-breaking, but it could be verisimilitude-breaking. Generally, when something resists magical weapon damage, there's a good reason for it. Like swarms, which are mostly made of empty space, or higher-CR oozes, which are amorphous and just goop back together if you slash them.

To be honest, I'd actually like to see more resistance to weapon damage. Skeletons should definitely resist piercing damage, for example.

Lance Tankmen
2016-11-28, 06:17 AM
I mean in the MM only like 22 monsters have magical attacks. It would hardly effect players in the greater scheme.

Occasional Sage
2016-11-28, 07:47 AM
I mean in the MM only like 22 monsters have magical attacks. It would hardly effect players in the greater scheme.

Then why worry about it? If your answer is "Something is not realistic in this game!" then perhaps a better answer is writing your own system; once you 'fix' this, there will be a thousand more that occur to you. Seriously, it's a rabbit hole.

D.U.P.A.
2016-11-28, 08:11 AM
What bothers me is that barbarian has resistance also to non weapon damage, like fall damage.

Hawkstar
2016-11-28, 09:32 AM
What bothers me is that barbarian has resistance also to non weapon damage, like fall damage.
The problem isn't Barbarians being able to resist fall damage. It's that the system doesn't let them jump high enough to take advantage of it.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-11-28, 09:33 AM

I'm with Hawkstar. Resistance to falling damage is totally thematic for barbarians.

Feuerphoenix
2016-11-28, 11:06 AM

You could rule on your table, that falling damage does not apply to damage resistance.

But afaik, only a demilich has resistance against magical weapons, so there should be no problem in terms of too much resistances.

Occasional Sage
2016-11-28, 09:53 PM
The problem isn't Barbarians being able to resist fall damage. It's that the system doesn't let them jump high enough to take advantage of it.

Dip Shadow Monk; grapple; bamf both of you up to the highest shadow you can reach, and let go. Between Slow Fall and Resistance you're immune to falling, unlike the other poor fellow.