PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Looking for a spell.

John Longarrow
2016-11-28, 03:55 PM
I have a BBEG who's a ghost. He's able to toss 6th level cleric spells so I've a feeling he can pull of the following, but I haven't found a spell that replicates what I'm trying for.

He uses a ritual to remove the spirit from a body but leave the body alive. He is doing this so he can wear these soul-less husks like changes of clothing to deal with people and to advance his own agenda. I just haven't found a spell that would kill some one but leave their body alive. Closest I can think of would be a creative use of curse similar to the Deck of Many things card that leaves the body alive but the soul trapped elsewhere.

Any ideas or anyone know a spell that does this?

Echch
2016-11-28, 03:57 PM
The closest I can think of is magic jar .-.

Stoon
2016-11-29, 04:48 AM
Trap the soul http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/trapTheSoul.htm players hand book spell

Darrin
2016-11-29, 08:49 AM
The closest I can think of is magic jar .-.

Cast it twice. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?200516-3-x-I-have-brought-you-Devastation) You wind up in the new body. The soul that was originally in there... well, nothing really says what happens to it.

Bronk
2016-11-29, 10:06 AM
You could also use the feat chain that leads to the 'Malevolence' feat from Ghostwalk, which lets a ghost inhabit and control a living body for hours per HD.

flappeercraft
2016-11-29, 10:54 AM
I have a BBEG who's a ghost. He's able to toss 6th level cleric spells so I've a feeling he can pull of the following, but I haven't found a spell that replicates what I'm trying for.

He uses a ritual to remove the spirit from a body but leave the body alive. He is doing this so he can wear these soul-less husks like changes of clothing to deal with people and to advance his own agenda. I just haven't found a spell that would kill some one but leave their body alive. Closest I can think of would be a creative use of curse similar to the Deck of Many things card that leaves the body alive but the soul trapped elsewhere.

Any ideas or anyone know a spell that does this?

Well, he could try obtain a Psionic Power stone or 1 Charge dorje for the Mindswitch/True Mindswitch powers which would technically work to be able to switch bodied or wait until he can cast 9th level spells and then use Miracle to replicate the power Mindswitch.

Flickerdart
2016-11-29, 11:11 AM
Ghosts (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/ghost.htm) already have the Malevolence ability:

Once per round, an ethereal ghost can merge its body with a creature on the Material Plane. This ability is similar to a magic jar spell (caster level 10th or the ghost’s Hit Dice, whichever is higher), except that it does not require a receptacle. To use this ability, the ghost must be manifested and it must try move into the target’s space; moving into the target’s space to use the malevolence ability does not provoke attacks of opportunity. The target can resist the attack with a successful Will save (DC 15 + ghost’s Cha modifier). A creature that successfully saves is immune to that same ghost’s malevolence for 24 hours, and the ghost cannot enter the target’s space. If the save fails, the ghost vanishes into the target’s body.

All you need to do is get hosts that cannot or will not save against the ability, and cannot or will not undertake actions while they are not being "worn" by the ghost. Mindrape works just fine (buy some scrolls). You can also just drain their Wisdom to 0 using a friendly allip or lamia. When this happens, the victims fall comatose, and since you overwrite their mental stats with yours when you possess them, you'll be fine.

flappeercraft
2016-11-29, 02:38 PM
Ghosts (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/ghost.htm) already have the Malevolence ability:

All you need to do is get hosts that cannot or will not save against the ability, and cannot or will not undertake actions while they are not being "worn" by the ghost. Mindrape works just fine (buy some scrolls). You can also just drain their Wisdom to 0 using a friendly allip or lamia. When this happens, the victims fall comatose, and since you overwrite their mental stats with yours when you possess them, you'll be fine.

Problem with that, you could be kicked out via many spells so I would recommend you to cast Imprison Possessor (BoVD) since it would make you not be able to leave the body by any means although for this better find a really good body and have means for only you to be able to control it instead of the Original owner as you will NOT be able to leave to your incorporeal form to get another one.

Flickerdart
2016-11-29, 02:58 PM
Problem with that, you could be kicked out via many spells so I would recommend you to cast Imprison Possessor (BoVD) since it would make you not be able to leave the body by any means although for this better find a really good body and have means for only you to be able to control it instead of the Original owner as you will NOT be able to leave to your incorporeal form to get another one.

Good find, but you can always dismiss the spell if you are its caster, so you are not really trapped. Also, the spell might be dispelled by an enemy, while the Malevolence itself is fortunately immune by dint of being Su.

Segev
2016-11-29, 04:00 PM
Ghosts (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/ghost.htm) inherently have access to the Malevolence ability. Just pick it as one of the menu options.

Won't hollow out the husk for him, but possession gives him full control anyway.

Ramza00
2016-11-29, 06:42 PM
It is a Wizard 7 but a domain spell for Sin 7 / Avarice 7 / Wealth 7 but Sequester will do what you want.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/sequester.htm

Makes you body immune to divination spells, makes it invisibile, and makes it comatose.

Troacctid
2016-11-29, 06:45 PM
I think it's good that you can be kicked out—it offers an interesting alternative way for the players to tackle the encounter if they prepare appropriately. I like that in a villain.

John Longarrow
2016-11-30, 05:13 PM
Trap the soul http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/trapTheSoul.htm players hand book spell

Down side...
Trap the soul forces a creature’s life force (and its material body) into a gem. Doesn't leave a body behind to be used.

John Longarrow
2016-11-30, 05:17 PM

Ghost already has Malevolence. I'm not sure Mindrape would do what he's looking for though, but its close.

He want to completely remove the soul, thus preventing any chance of a will save. He is putting rings of sustenence on the bodies, letting them kick in, then removing the soul. This leaves him with a body that he doesn't really need to do much with when not wearing it. I may just whip up a 6th level divine spell to cover this unique situation.

Flickerdart
2016-11-30, 05:20 PM
He want to completely remove the soul, thus preventing any chance of a will save. He is putting rings of sustenence on the bodies, letting them kick in, then removing the soul. This leaves him with a body that he doesn't really need to do much with when not wearing it. I may just whip up a 6th level divine spell to cover this unique situation.

You may be able to take inspiration from decerebrate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/decerebrate.htm) or solipsism.

Echch
2016-11-30, 06:26 PM
...I wonder if Mind Seed is valid too. You'd need to buy power stones of it, but it would make soul in the body want what you want.

John Longarrow
2016-11-30, 06:35 PM
I think I'm just going to borrow an idea from BoVD and have the ghost sacrifice the victims. This way it is the ritual he uses that pulls their souls out (probably to become toys of a demon) without having to go into details.

Segev
2016-11-30, 07:29 PM
If the ghost is a Thrallherd, his believers would willingly let him possess them.

barakaka
2016-11-30, 07:56 PM
While not quite as villainly, he could just use shellcraft manikins from Ghostwalk. Definitely still creepy though, which might be more what you're going for.

John Longarrow
2016-11-30, 08:38 PM
While not quite as villainly, he could just use shellcraft manikins from Ghostwalk. Definitely still creepy though, which might be more what you're going for.

So far having the party rescue one of the people he's trying to turn into a shell has been creepy enough. Just having a form that he can use isn't nearly as blatantly evil as him having several bodies around that he plays "dress up" with or goes out on the town in.

When he's not trying to take over the world he normally does this to a very young kid so he can 'Grow up' in a family and become a cherished member of the community. Then he gathers resources for his next attempt at world domination.

Over all he's a really sick puppy that should get the players to hate him for his actions. This is especially true when the find out more about what he's been up to over the last few cycles.

Flickerdart
2016-11-30, 08:43 PM
...I wonder if Mind Seed is valid too. You'd need to buy power stones of it, but it would make soul in the body want what you want.

Not quite - it would make the soul in the body you. It's not going to roll over for you - it's a BBEG! It wants respect! It wants to crush its enemies! You'd have to be ridiculously zen (or kinky) to be simultaneously the kind of person who wants to possess others, and the kind of person willing to surrender to possession.

D&DPrinceTandem
2016-11-30, 10:12 PM
well effectivly you can just take an evil outsider and give it fiend of possession then a scroll of imprison soul (from heroes of horror)

1) players can actually exercise it
2)the soul is gone but there is a way to get it back in a timely manner, by dispelling the spell imprison souls the soul is free.
3) the fiend can just posses the inanimate object (body)