PDA

View Full Version : Miniatures

arrowstorm
2016-11-28, 05:06 PM
I am fairly new to the hobby and i have always used a grid. I also have always used dice/loose change as PCs and enemies. As Christmas is approaching, I just want to see what the consensus on which companies make good looking minis, and just favorites and recommendations for a starter set. Ideally with a low price point. I'm fairly busy so painting my own is probably not possible. thanks.

MadBear
2016-11-28, 05:11 PM
I am fairly new to the hobby and i have always used a grid. I also have always used dice/loose change as PCs and enemies. As Christmas is approaching, I just want to see what the consensus on which companies make good looking minis, and just favorites and recommendations for a starter set. Ideally with a low price point. I'm fairly busy so painting my own is probably not possible. thanks.

If you want to buy pre-painted miniatures, then Wizards of the Coast D&D set's are probably going to be your go to. You can get them off amazon for around $20 per pack.

The only real issue is that they're randimized so you don't know what mini's you'll get.

comk59
2016-11-28, 05:31 PM
Well, Reaper is my absolute favorite, but they are unpainted, which isn't what you're looking for.

Unfortunately, pre-painted miniatures tend to be higher priced across the board. WotC generally have the most consistantly good ones. But the way they randomize their models puts me off, so I rarely if ever use them, besides the ones that I got in the starter set.

nyjastul69
2016-11-28, 07:14 PM
I haven't looked recently but you should be able to get some D&D miniatures (preprinted plastic) from e-bay or a secondary seller without having to wade through randomized packs.

Jama7301
2016-11-28, 07:48 PM
Out of curiosity, how are the Pathfinder blind boxes? My game store was running a 2-for-1 sale on the 4 random minis or themed minis in a box, and I passed on not knowing what the quality was.

Madbox
2016-11-28, 08:37 PM
Pathfinder minis are as good as WotC D&D minis, sometimes slightly better. Both sell at about 16-20 USD, and come in randomized packs that typically contain 3 medium or small minis and 1 large.