PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed [3.5] What's Your Favorite NPC/BBEG PrC?

Thurbane
2016-11-28, 06:54 PM
So...some PrCs are much better suited to NPCs and BBEGs than to PCs.

As a DM, what are your favorites?

I'm quite fond of Fiend of Possession and Mortal Hunter, myself.

Cheers - T

denthor
2016-11-28, 07:26 PM
The race known as skulk

Inevitability
2016-11-29, 01:38 AM
Illithid Savant deserves mention, I believe.

Thurbane
2016-11-29, 09:58 PM
I always felt Assassin worked better as an NPC class.

Crake
2016-11-29, 11:13 PM
I have a trio of demons who I gestalt to have their demon HD+fiend of blasphemy/possession/corruption on one side, and on the other side they are binder 5/ur-priest 2/tenebrous apostate 5. The way I run it is that they worship tenebrous, but that tenebrous is actually too weak to actually grant them real cleric spells, so instead they steal spells from other spellcasters. I also run a Zceryll homebrew that changes the template from pseudonatural to the dark template for extra shadowy-ness.

Overall 11 levels of binding, 6 levels of ur-priest (granting 6th level spells at level 12, so spellcasting is on point), as well as demonic abilities and fiend of XYZ levels puts them all together for a really nice package

So really, it's not just 1 prc for me, it's the combination of all of them. Realistically, you could strip away the demon and fiend of XYZ gestalt part, and be left with a pretty sweet binder 5/ur-priest 2/tenebrous apostate 5 build that you could cap off with 4 more levels of ur-priest as necessary (or possibly use a divine spellcasting adaptation of anima mage to continue advancing both binding and spellcasting)

Afgncaap5
2016-11-30, 12:04 AM
I always felt Assassin worked better as an NPC class.

Definitely. Also, I kinda feel the same way about Arcane Archer. I'd never take it as a PC, but as a DM I've used it more than a few times to create some great fight scenes. (One even fought the party off entirely and managed to succeed in her evil plot, something that I generally don't see with my villains.)

The Random NPC
2016-11-30, 03:23 PM
I like the Dungeon Lord PrC, but it's not very good.