PDA

View Full Version : Water Genasi Depth Tolerance

Naanomi
2016-11-28, 07:11 PM
What would people say the depth tolerance for a water Gensai is? I was happily exploring the bottom of the ocean with mine but now that tritons have a specific ability to survive water pressure, I suspect I cannot anymore...

So where would you put it? Human levels since they lack an ability that says otherwise? Somewhat higher but not triton levels?

pwykersotz
2016-11-28, 07:25 PM
I hate these types of abilities. The ones that impose a new restriction by their very presence.

I'd go higher than normal for any creature with Water Breathing, though I don't know what metric I'd use. I haven't cracked my copy of Volo's yet.

Zanthy1
2016-11-28, 07:26 PM
To be honest, I would equate it to a submarine. Triton's can go to the bottom, submarines (or water genasi) could maybe go halfway?

lunaticfringe
2016-11-28, 07:35 PM
Well in the DMG any creature with a Swim Speed can ignore the depth effects. Guardian of the Depths is just an extra fluffy way of giving them Cold Resistance so they can ignore the effects of Frigid Water.

Naanomi
2016-11-28, 07:53 PM
Well in the DMG any creature with a Swim Speed can ignore the depth effects. Guardian of the Depths is just an extra fluffy way of giving them Cold Resistance so they can ignore the effects of Frigid Water.
Well, can ignore the listed effects of exhaustion while swimming anyways... which only covers 200ft of depth. Not any other effects of ocean bottom exploration that a DM might decide on that a Triton might still ignore

lunaticfringe
2016-11-28, 07:57 PM
Yes exactly. Triton's are Aquaman, water is their schtick. I read the ability as:

"Whatever demented depth/underwater penalty thing your DM dreams up probably won't work on Tritons".

Naanomi
2016-11-28, 08:00 PM
I read the ability as:"Whatever demented depth/underwater penalty thing your DM dreams up probably won't work on Tritons".
Which is just fine, I'm just a little frustrated that the 'I'm part water elemental' guy now can't do that same schtick when I kind of could before volo's was released. Ah well

Sigreid
2016-11-28, 08:32 PM
To be honest, I doubt many DMs will give any thought at all to depth anyway. Though if as someone said the DMG covers down to 200' I guess that's the cap which is still way the hell down there. It's not unreasonable. After all, I don't think all fish can go all the way to the bottom.

Kane0
2016-11-28, 08:47 PM
I've yet to see altitude/depth come up in a game, to be honest. I'd just ignore the ability altogether, or at least give the same thing to other aquatic races (Water Genasi certainly included).