PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer Fantasy: What happened to the Fimir?

JellyPooga
2007-07-14, 09:58 PM
I dug out my copy of Heroquest today to play a game with my 6-year old niece (she's just old enough to be introduced to geekery now). Playing through the Rescue of Sir Ragnar quest and the Heros encountered a Fimir and suddenly I was reminded of how cool I thought they were when I was younger and how they just dissapeared from the Warhammer word completely.

What was up with that? The Fimir were well cool (once you got beyond Heroquest Fimirs anyway, which were more or less described as bigger orcs)...they were big, one-eyed swamp dudes that could summon mist and all sorts. If I remember rightly they were natural spellcasters of some description as well and their 'Hags' were amongst the most feared 'casters around, they were that powerful (IIRC).

Can anyone explain why they were left by the wayside?

SmartAlec
2007-07-14, 10:45 PM
Ah, the Fimir. They've suffered the same fate as the Troglodytes, and the Fishmen, and other wacky and weird units in the Warhammer World; as the armies have become more and more distinct and each given a particular 'theme', a lot of creatures have simply been written out because they just don't fit in any army.

Capt'n Ironbrow
2007-07-15, 09:27 AM
Hm... I didn't find the Fimir too wacky, but I think they were seen as a superfluous Chaos Race (them being half-demons)... They still have a bestiary section in WFRP ed. 1 though, and while we have tried to use them as encounter once or twice (one of our group has the Heroquest game), the mists always concealed them and no single PC has seen one, ever. even though they were mentioned occassionally, they just never showed their beaks to the PC's...

JellyPooga
2007-07-15, 09:53 AM
Hm... I didn't find the Fimir too wacky, but I think they were seen as a superfluous Chaos Race (them being half-demons)...

That's it! I was trying to remember why they were so feared and where they got their magical abilities...they were half-demons! I'll have to dig out my old copy of the Warhammer rulebook (from before when it became a box-set for the first time) and check up on them again.

Pilum
2007-07-22, 11:04 AM
They went to the same place the squats went.

It's... it's not a place we talk about... :smalleek:

:smallbiggrin:

More seriously, if needs be they could always have shoehorned them into Chaos I suppose, though I have the impression they worshipped "daemons" the same way the Skaven could be said to worship one... I think it's a bit like the Chaos Dwarfs, if you want each army to be distinctive and with it's own character, how do you fit them in the game...? Tough close combat, decent heroes, powerful magic but no shooting - apart from the fog, that's just a standard chaos army.

Incidentally, I always think that Troglodytes could be said to have been reincarnated as the Kroxigor, though if I'm honest I increasingly find myself deviating from the "current" Warhammer Battle details and staying with the older stories - or carving out my own of course.