RedScholarGypsy
2007-07-14, 10:35 PM
Acolyte of the Pure Eye

Alignment
Any.

Hit Die
d6.

Class Skills
The Acolyte’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Gather Information (Cha), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Speak Language (None), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), and Use Magic Device (Cha).

Skill Points at 1st Level
(4 + Int modifier) ×4.

Skill Points at Each Additional Level
4 + Int Modifier.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Sixth Sense, Cumulative Knowledge, True Vision(Detect Magic) Stunning Gaze
2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Fearful Gaze
3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|True Vision(Darkvision), Commanding Gaze
4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Unblinking Eye, Debilitating Gaze
5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Gaze Immunity
6th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5| True Vision(See Invisibility)
7th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5| Watch over Allies
8th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+6|Confusing Gaze
9th|
+4|
+3|
+3|
+6|True Vision(Arcane Sight)
10th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7|Third Eye
11th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7| Mirrored Eyes
12th|
+6/+1|
+4|
+4|
+8| True Vision(True Seeing)
13th|
+6/+1|
+4|
+4|
+8| Nature’s Sight
14th|
+7/+2|
+4|
+4|
+9|Chain Gaze (Fearful)
15th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+9| True Vision(Greater Arcane Sight)
16th|
+8/+3|
+5|
+5|
+10|Hand of Eyes
17th|
+8/+3|
+5|
+5|
+10|
18th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+6|
+11| True Vision(Foresight)
19th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+6|
+11|
20th|
+10/+5|
+6|
+6|
+12| Chain Gaze (Confusing) [/table]

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the acolyte.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Acolytes are proficient with all simple weapons, but not with any armor.

Sixth Sense (Su)
At 1st level, an acolyte gains a +1 insight bonus to AC for each level of acolyte she has. These bonuses to AC apply even against touch attacks or when the acolyte is flat-footed. She loses these bonuses when she is immobilized or helpless. This bonus is halved, rounded down, whenever the acolyte is using a gaze attack and is quartered, rounded down, whenever she is using the third eye or hand of eyes ability.

Cumulative Knowledge (Su)
All insight bonuses stack for an acolyte.

True Vision (Su)
An acolyte of the pure eye strives to see all that is and strengthens her sight accordingly. At 1st level she is treated as having permanent Detect Magic. At 3rd level she is treated as having darkvision; if she already has darkvision as a racial ability, it is extended to 120’. At 6th level she is treated as having permanent See Invisibilty. At 9th level she is treated as having permanent Arcane Sight. At 12th level she is treated as having permanent True Seeing. At 15th level she is treated as having permanent Greater Arcane Sight. At 18th level she is treated as having permanent Foresight.
An acolyte can not use true vision and a gaze a the same time.

Gaze Attack (Su)
At 1st level, an acolyte gains the ability to use gaze attacks. She may only use one type of gaze at a time, and must wait 1 round before using a new gaze. She is immune to her own gaze attacks.

Stunning Gaze
At 1st level, an acolyte can use the stunning gaze. As daze, 30 feet, Will DC is 10 + wisdom modifier. At 5th level, it acts as daze monster, 30 feet, Will DC is 10 + wisdom modifier. At 7th level, it acts as hold person and halt undead, 30 feet, Will DC is 15 + wisdom modifier. At 12th level, it acts as hold monster and halt undead, 30 feet, Will DC is 15 + wisdom modifier. At 17th level, 3 times per day an acolyte may maximize the gaze’s power: for 1 round it acts as irresistible dance, 30 feet, Will DC is 20 + wisdom modifier.

Fearful Gaze
At 2nd level, an acolyte can use the fearful gaze. As cause fear, 30 feet, Will DC is 10 + wisdom modifier. At 6th level, it acts as Scare, 30 feet, Will DC is 10 + wisdom modifier. At 9th level, it acts as hold Fear, 30 feet, Will DC is 15 + wisdom modifier. At 16th level, 3 times per day an acolyte may maximize the gaze’s power: for 1 round the Will DC is 20 + wisdom modifier.
Commanding Gaze
At 3rd level, an acolyte can use the commanding gaze. As hypnotism, 30 feet, Will DC is 10 + wisdom modifier. At 6th level, it acts as suggestion, 30 feet, Will DC is 10 + wisdom modifier. At 10th level, it acts as dominate person, 30 feet, Will DC is 15 + wisdom modifier. At 19th level, 3 times per day an acolyte maximize the gaze’s power: for 1 round it acts as dominate monster, 30 feet, Will DC is 20 + wisdom modifier. The commanding gaze can only affect one subject at a time, and the gaze must be maintained, though eye contact need not be.

Debilitating Gaze
At 4th level, an acolyte can use the debilitating gaze. As Touch of Idiocy, 30 feet, Fort DC is 10 + wisdom modifier. At 11th level, it can act as waves of fatigue, 30 feet, Fort DC is 15 + wisdom modifier. At 14th level, it can act as eyebite, 30 feet, Fort DC is 15 + wisdom modifier. At 16th level, it can act as waves of exhaustion, 30 feet, Fort DC is 20 + wisdom modifier. An acolyte can use debilitating gaze a number of rounds each day equal to her wisdom modifier; after that, for each additional round of use she takes 1d4 constitution damage. An acolyte may use any of the gaze’s current abilities for each round and may switch abilities as a free action.
At 18th level, 3 times per day an acolyte may maximize the gaze’s power: for 1 round it acts as a death gaze, 30 feet, Fort DC is 20 + wisdom modifier.

Confusing Gaze
At 8th level, an acolyte can use the confusing gaze. As confusion, 30 feet, Will DC is 10 + wisdom modifier. At 13th level, it can act as feeblemind, 30 feet, Will DC is 15 + wisdom modifier. An acolyte can use confusion gaze a number of rounds each day equal to her wisdom modifier; after that, for each additional round of use she must make a Will save against her own gaze or suffer the affects. The DC starts at 15 and rises by 5 for each round of use thereafter. An acolyte may use any of the gaze’s current abilities for each round and may switch abilities as a free action.
At 15th level, 3 times per day an acolyte may maximize the gaze’s power: for 1 round it acts as insanity, 30 feet, Will DC is 20 + wisdom modifier.

Unblinking Eye (Su)
At 4th level, an acolyte gains immunity to blindness of all kinds.

Gaze Immunity (Su)
At 5th level, an acolyte can not be affected by Gaze attacks.

Watch over Allies
At 7th level, an acolyte can enchant a subject’s eyes so that they are not affected by her gaze attacks. She can enchant a number of people equal to her class level, but these enchantments are permanent, and can not be recovered short of a miracle or a well-phrased wish.

Third Eye (Sp)
Once per day an acolyte can a semitangible, visible magical orb (an ‘eye’). While the eye is quite fragile, it’s small and difficult to spot. The eye is a Fine construct, about the size of a small apple, that has 1 hit point, AC 18 (+8 bonus for its size), flies at a speed of 30 feet with perfect maneuverability, and has a +16 Hide modifier. It has a Spot modifier equal to your class level (maximum +15).

When held, the acolyte can recall all that the eye has seen. The eye does not benefit from the acolyte’s true vision ability.

When you create the eye, you may choose to imbue it with one of your gazes. You can not use that type of gaze while the eye still exists. If imbued with the debilitating or confusing gaze, it lasts a number of rounds equal to your wisdom modifier. Otherwise it lasts one hour. Using the maximized power for a gaze will destroy the eye immediately afterward.

A blank eye can be imbued later as a movement action. It can also imbue itself with another’s gaze attack. An eye imbued as such then lasts a number of rounds equal to your wisdom modifier, and it’s gaze can affect the subject from which the original gaze came.

Mirrored Eyes (Su)
At 11th level, if the acolyte makes a Will save versus a Gaze attack, she may then use the gaze attack against another target. The gaze can be held for 1 round + 1 round for each additional 5 over the gaze’s DC.

Nature’s Sight (Su)
At 13th level an acolyte can ignore all penalties imposed by weather and environment conditions to visibility, Spot, and Search Checks. An acolyte may use this ability for 10 minutes each day. The acolyte need not use this ability all at once.

Chain Gaze (Su)
At this point an acolyte has sufficiently mastered a gaze to which their effects are contagious. Whenever a subject fails a DC for a chain gaze by more than 10 or critically fails, it then possesses the gaze for one round. The DC is lowered by 5, and the subject can not control the gaze nor shut its eyes.

At 14th level an acolyte can chain gaze the fearful gaze.

At 20th level an acolyte can chain gaze the confusion gaze.

At 22nd level an acolyte can chain gaze the stunning gaze.

At 23rd level an acolyte can chain gaze the debilitating gaze.

Hand of Eyes (Sp)
This ability functions as third eye, but it creates 1d4 eyes, which have the true vision ability and have a maximum spot modifier of +25. No two eyes may have the same type of gaze. An eye can not give an acolyte true vision if it is imbued with a gaze or if the acolyte is currently using a gaze.

Notes: I made this with the idea of mind of having a Fighter-diviner type. I ran with the eye theme, and this is what I got. I know there's a few spots here I'd like to improve, but I'm not in the right frame of mind to figure out how. I also tried to avoid dead levels, so if you see any point them out. And be harsh, I can take it :smallcool:

Edits: Cleaned up the table. How do I get rid of that extra row?

7/15 1:00 p.m. Yikes, huge edit. I got rid of any melee ability and went with full gaze. I made the True Vision/Sixth Sense and Gaze abilities exclusive/semi-exclusive to see if that'll balance. I kept the bab at 1/2 because at this point the class should be pure range. The eyes are based on prying eyes, in case you want to compare. And the 'dead' levels towards the end are when the acolyte's getting the maximized gazes so they aren't really dead. Ugh, I really have no clue how balanced this is at all, so be brutally honest.

Draz74
2007-07-14, 10:47 PM
Permanent True Seeing seems broken. Maybe make it an activated ability? Like, maybe "activate at will as a full-round action, lasts 1 minute"?

Ivius
2007-07-14, 10:52 PM
I actually think it seems a bit underpowered. It has a bad case of monk syndrome: lots of neat abilities, but not really any focus or direction.

nooblade
2007-07-14, 11:14 PM
A wizard of the same level would be more useful for just about all of the levels, but I really like it for some reason. I would suggest adding more creative gaze attacks, not just reconnaissance abilities. A class based exclusively on gaze attacks would be awesome. The second-highest attack progression wouldn't hurt either, along with good Reflex and Will saves.

Fearful Gaze could be given sooner, I think, maybe not as soon as a wizard would get Fear, though. Earlier than that you could give a gaze similar to the "Doom" divine spell, maybe as low as 3rd level, especially if there's no spellcasting progression to go along with the class. Another useful feature for the gazes would be to change the range at which they're effective at--at 6th and 9th you could add 20ft to "Gaze of Doom". Or if you limited the amount of time per day they could be used, increased levels would add to them.

That's just my humble opinion, I'll try not to steal the class idea. Maybe I'll use it for something someday.

Ivius
2007-07-14, 11:37 PM
*snip*A class based exclusively on gaze attacks would be awesome. *snip*

I have to agree. At first level, get Bane. A few other I can think of are Hypnotism, Sleep, Confusion, Geas, Dominate, Feeblemind... It's endless.

TheLogman
2007-07-14, 11:51 PM
Although there's tons of fun stuff here, there's not really any offensive abilities, just simple weapons, and not a great BaB.

Oh, I have a few ideas, and although most of these are overpowered, maybe you could hopefully find something you like?

-A Bonus to Critical hits, although it could be insanely powerful at later levels, maybe every couple levels like, 1, 5, 10, 15, 20, they could "See the Weaknesses in their enemies", and more easily get crits, like each time they gain the ability, the range for Criticals increases by 1.

-A Bonus to ranged attacks. They could see the enemies at a distance better, and get a clearer shot.

-A weaker Gaze attack at lower levels, maybe something limited to 1 or 2 times a day.

And the Extra line was probably caused by pressing enter an extra time.

RedScholarGypsy
2007-07-15, 12:27 AM
Hmm, yea. I have some good ideas for creative gaze attacks, but that'll come in the morning. :smalltongue: Thanks for the suggestions. And here I was worried that giving the class the nuts AC bonus would be broken.

Hectonkhyres
2007-07-15, 01:13 AM
Just thinking of this taken by a member of the eyekin race makes me giggle inanely. Ten extra eyes scattered semi-randomly over the limbs and body never sounded so good.

I would make an effort to enhance this classes rogue-type abilities. Being practically omniscient just screams for trap laying, poisoning, sneak attacks out the wazoo, and some stealth mobility BS. But, of course, I would be one of the goons to multiclass rogue with wild abandon here... the dirty bastard I am.

Nebo_
2007-07-15, 01:40 AM
The AC bonus is too excessive. Maybe Wis or Int to AC with insight bonus progression like a monk gets dodge. I like the idea of gaze attacks because at the moment, while pretty cool, this class doesn't really do anything.

Doi
2007-07-15, 02:00 AM
Hmm... maybe could use this as a Divination especialized variant...
Making some of the vision abilities as "activated abilities", turning the HD to d4 and giving it a spell progression...
Not realy sure.

nooblade
2007-07-15, 10:18 AM
Ooh, I forgot about level to AC, that does seem really powerful (but only for defense). This class, focusing on divination-like effects with some gaze attacks doesn't seem like it belongs in combat at all, so it was easy to forget about that ability. Wisdom might make more sense for an AC bonus, and perhaps some DCs on the gaze attacks, since it is related to spot checks. I don't get exactly why the Medusa's gaze DC is set to 15.

If the character wanted to spend feats on armor proficiency, is there any reason not to? Light armor would be okay to give as a proficiency if you ask me, since that works with evasion. Maybe I'm thinking that this is too much like the Warlock.

I have to agree. At first level, get Bane. A few other I can think of are Hypnotism, Sleep, Confusion, Geas, Dominate, Feeblemind... It's endless.

Feeblemind, Geas, and Dominate would be too powerful for constant use IMHO, unless they're limited to a certain number of times a day. Confusion would be one of the higher-level ones I think, but the Umber Hulk wasn't overpowered for doing it. Bane is usually an area-of-effect spell so it might not transfer into a gaze attack well, but Doom on the other hand might be too powerful if its usable at will. Some spells would have to be converted into different gaze effects.

Ooh, you could add feats to that increase the range or number of times per day certain gaze attacks could be used.

Zeta Kai
2007-07-15, 10:41 AM
I'd suggest upping the BAB to 3/4th's, like a Cleric. And yes, gaze attacks are a must.

Also, permanent True Seeing would be broken if this class had more offensive capabilities. Standard action activation lasting 1 minute/per level, usable 5 times per day would be sufficient in nearly every case.

RedScholarGypsy
2007-07-15, 01:09 PM
Made changes. I'll probably take the older version of the class and rework it into something more rogue/diviner, but i'll stick with this for now