PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Character Creation Help: Gunslinger -Mysterious Stranger

Nosta
2016-11-29, 01:40 PM
So My knife throwing idea did not go as plan
so since i am tasked with range fighting i choose The Gunslinger class

But i have a few questions

1: the point by is 30 were should i place what
2: What am I what Race would go with this Mysterious Stranger

I am level 16 BTW

DedWards
2016-11-30, 12:02 AM
So My knife throwing idea did not go as plan
so since i am tasked with range fighting i choose The Gunslinger class

But i have a few questions

1: the point by is 30 were should i place what
2: What am I what Race would go with this Mysterious Stranger

I am level 16 BTW

One very important question before I answer your questions: Why Mysterious Stranger?

Also, do you mind Multiclassing, and if yes, which classes would you Multiclass into?

Nosta
2016-11-30, 02:30 PM
One very important question before I answer your questions: Why Mysterious Stranger?

Also, do you mind Multiclassing, and if yes, which classes would you Multiclass into?

I Don't think the Gm is letting us Multiclass this time
As for mysterious Stranger i did it cause the Cha bonus from Me being a Dhampir would match well

mistermysterio
2016-11-30, 03:09 PM
Unless you're stuck on dhampir...

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1En2ECuP1v63kTqGIUx5dpuhZQuoXl9Tc0UEj3P_xYN0/edit is a pretty good guide.

Go with a human or tiefling or kasatha bolt ace slinger! ;)

DedWards
2016-11-30, 04:27 PM
I Don't think the Gm is letting us Multiclass this time
As for mysterious Stranger i did it cause the Cha bonus from Me being a Dhampir would match well
Here's why I don't like Mysterious Stranger:

Grit based of WIS is good as it boosts your worst save (Will) and Perception.

Focused Aim replaces Quick Clear. For all Gunslingers (except the Bolt Ace, because he doesn't actually use guns), Quick Clear is a god send in the middle of combat when your gun misfires. Admittedly, it shouldn't happen often, as you should build your character to reduce misfire to almost nothing, but it can, and will happen. Focused Aim's bonus damage is nice, but is it reely worth replacing the ability to continue fighting after a misfire?

Clipping Shot replaces Bleeding Wound. Bleeding Wound lets you deal ability (STR, DEX, or CON) bleeding damage to the target, which is really strong. Crippling Shot just lets you deal damage if you missed.

Lucky replaces Nimble. So Mysterious Stranger changed the source of Grit from WIS to CHA, and to make up for the Will saves you would have gotten from a decent WIS score, they give a small boost to Will. This was done at the expense of a similarly small boost to AC. Your AC will be targets way more often than Will, so this is another loss.

Stranger’s Fortune replaces your first level of Gun Training. Gun Training is the main reason anyone takes the Gunslinger class. DEX to damage is a strong effect, and depending on the archetype, this effect just keeps getting better. So with the first level of this awesome ability being replaced, when do you get it? Level 9. That's 4 levels later than ALL other Gunslingers.

My grievances with the archetype aside, here's why I asked about Multiclassing: Gun Training is the best feature of the class and once obtained, you might as well Multiclass into something else. There are some nice deeds at later levels, but when compared to what other classes are getting at the same levels, they're not that great. They're good, but you could do better.

Unless you're stuck on dhampir...

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1En2ECuP1v63kTqGIUx5dpuhZQuoXl9Tc0UEj3P_xYN0/edit is a pretty good guide.

Go with a human or tiefling or kasatha bolt ace slinger! ;)

I was going to suggest the exact same guide. I used it as reference on my current level 7 character: Bolt Ace (Gunslinger) 5; Divine Hunter (Hunter) 1; Sniper (Slayer) 1. Bolt Ace using Crossbows fit the "Sneaky Sniper" theme I ended up with. (The one level Hunter dip is mostly for Gravity Bow).